Best earphones for goa?

bluenortus

Too bad your budget and the type of headphones you're looking for are all wrong... I'd be able to recommend up some sweet cans!

I typically use headphones in the $400 range, but I'm curious about these cheap bangers. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LZIPN4Q/ref=pd_aw_sim_23_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=03XNNTT8VG49AESF5HHS&dpPl=1&dpID=61UA7faOt4L

If I buy them I'll report back on how they sound. Edit... I bought them, delivery date of September 26th. I'll use them a few days once they get here and let you know how they stack up against my Westones. 

Try looking online for 'dj' headphones, cancel noise pretty well and have distinct separation of layers. I got a pair of ultrasone DJ1's on special for $80. Can be uncomfortable though, and you look like a bit of dork walking around with headphones that say 'DJ' on the side. Goa music helps you not give a hoot about what people think however. 

For earplugs - because that's what you're asking for, right? - I was pleasantly surprised with JBL T-series, because they offer very good bass with clear, but not piercing top-end. I find the latter very important for psytrance, because a lot of releases are mastered in such a way that it's difficult to listen to it after some time, because the top-end becomes very fatiguing. The JBLs were very detailed & clear, but also warm so you can crank them up real loud and they're still very pleasant.

On 9/24/2017 at 3:05 AM, Grayling said:

Too bad your budget and the type of headphones you're looking for are all wrong... I'd be able to recommend up some sweet cans!

Well, for now the budget is this, so let's see what's the best I can get for that price

On 9/24/2017 at 2:20 AM, Rotwang said:

I don't know about "for goa" specifically, but SoundMagic are good and in your price range.

These seem very interesting, i'm hesitating between these and JBL, i'll let you know what I think if I end up ordering them. What Antics604 said resonate with me a lot, it happens too often that I just snap and pull the earphones out because the highs tire me... 

@antic604 Which ones in particular are you talking about? :) 

Thanks folks!

13 minutes ago, bluenortus said:

@antic604 Which ones in particular are you talking about? :) 

The model that I have doesn't seem to be on sale anymore, but looking at their current offer I guess the T290 is the closest match. Obviously with in-ear headphones a lot of the experience depends on how well the rubbery sleeves fit into your ear, because with some other models I could either get them sounding too boomy (very tight fit) or too thin (loose fit). Those are pretty perfect for me and they're cheap, like around 100PLN, which is roughly 23EUR, 25GBP or 28USD. One of the best headphones I bought in that price range, if not the best. They're also surprisingly flat, i.e. I don't hear HUGE difference in sound picture when comparing to my studio-grade Bayerdynamic DT990 Pro.

• Thanks 1

Not trying to insult your budget, just saying I've got some good recommendations for bigger budget. 

I'd consider looking into some of the newer Chinese companies in addition to SoundMagic and JBL. There are headphones from TFZ and KZ being discussed on the hi fi headphone forums that are supposed to be great values with very good performance. 

7 hours ago, antic604 said:

They're also surprisingly flat, i.e. I don't hear HUGE difference in sound picture when comparing to my studio-grade Bayerdynamic DT990 Pro.

DT990 are notoriously bright with a crazy treble spike at 10khz, can't be considered flat in my opinion. Way too bright for me with very fatiguing treble. 

24 minutes ago, Grayling said:

DT990 are notoriously bright with a crazy treble spike at 10khz, can't be considered flat in my opinion. Way too bright for me with very fatiguing treble. 

Forgive me, if I don't take your word for it :) DT990's are frequently mentioned as one of the best mid-range (i.e. enthusiast / hobbyist-grade) headphones for studio use and although they are indeed slightly bright, it's far from a deal breaker and definitely doesn't cause fatigue - thieir open design greatly contributes to them being one of the more comfortable headphones to listen to, because the ear can breathe.

EDIT: 1303th post! :D

Oh, it's not my word that they're bright, it's objective measurements and anecdotes from many consumers that they're bright. I'm not saying that you shouldn't like them, in fact I'm glad that you own headphones that you enjoy. I know from experience that the frequency response chart shows the DT990 would give me treble fatigue, and anyone who's sensitive to treble should do some reading up before buying them. Also , if the JBLs you recommend sound similar to the DT990, the OP ought to think hard before buying them if he's treble sensitive. 

I can't say I'd recommend those Chinese headphones I bought. I changed my order at the last second and bought the ZS3. Fit is really good, they seem well built, and the sound is pretty good (balanced, detailed, solid bass, not too bright)... with one big exception that I can't get past. The bass sounds like it's centered right in the middle of my skull. I can see why people rate them highly, and for fifteen bucks they're pretty nice, but the bass thing makes them sound weird. 

Edit: maybe I'm not getting a good seal on these headphones. When fiddling with the placement I get better results with the bass. I hate silicone tips, but that's all I have for them right now, so I'll reserve judgment until I have some comply foam that fit. 

Techno sounds way better than goa trance. Listening to Kangding Ray -  Hyper Opal Mantis and it's sounding very very nice for $15! I'm starting to see where the good reviews are coming from. 

9 hours ago, Grayling said:

Oh, it's not my word that they're bright, it's objective measurements and anecdotes from many consumers that they're bright. I'm not saying that you shouldn't like them, in fact I'm glad that you own headphones that you enjoy. I know from experience that the frequency response chart shows the DT990 would give me treble fatigue, and anyone who's sensitive to treble should do some reading up before buying them. Also , if the JBLs you recommend sound similar to the DT990, the OP ought to think hard before buying them if he's treble sensitive. 

I mean I agree they're a bit on the bright side (also thanks to the open design), but they're far away from harsh, piercing and tiring. I know, because I'm also very sensitive to it and typical psytrance mastering - especially for darkpsy or goa - for some reason tends to overemphasize that frequency band.

Also, by saying DT990's are regarded to be among the best enthusiast / budget studio headphones is pretty objective:

https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-recording-studio-headphones/#openback

http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/best/by-usage/critical-listening

https://www.musicindustryhowto.com/the-best-studio-headphones-for-mixing-and-mastering-in-2017/

https://www.gearank.com/guides/headphones-mixing-mastering

I guess you have the advantage of owning them, so I'll take your word for it until I have a chance to hear them for myself. I tend to not buy headphones like I used to because I'm fairly satisfied with what I have (Westone UM Pro30, Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts, Sennheiser HD600, Sennheiser Amperior), but I do want some top of the line IEMs so that's what I'm saving for.  

On 26.09.2017 at 8:04 PM, Grayling said:

DT990 are notoriously bright with a crazy treble spike at 10khz, can't be considered flat in my opinion. Way too bright for me with very fatiguing treble

14 hours ago, Grayling said:

I guess you have the advantage of owning them, so I'll take your word for it until I have a chance to hear them for myself

Yeah, that would be wise :)

Also, for quality IEMs I can recommend Audio Technika's e-series. I have e40 (https://eu.audio-technica.com/headphones/in-ear/ATH-E40, 100EUR) and they're awesome once they burned-in and I learned how to wear them properly. This particular model slightly accentuates the mid range (it's far from sounding harsh, though), but still has very good and clear bass and transparent highs. What struck me immediately is how 'wide' the sound stage is, comparable to open-back on-ear headphones really. The e50 and e70 models cost x2 and x4 respectively, but are supposedly - based on several reviews I read - worth it, as they offer even more flat response (without the bump in mids). If mine breaks some day, I'm gonna be buying e50-s for sure.

On 10/2/2017 at 6:26 AM, antic604 said:

Well, I'd rather spend that $1.3k on 3 pairs of different headphones and some monitors to test how my mixes translate to various hardware. But that's just me :)

I've owned many pairs of mid-fi (like $500 and less) headphones, and i settled on four pairs in that tier a few years ago, so I'm ready to move on to a big hitter. Been at the headphone game for quite a few years. You'll eventually move on to more expensive cans once you've had your fill of mid-fi. 

I have monitors already as well. 

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 3:47 PM, mars said:

Proud owner of the Aurvana's here :+1: good warm balanced sound for in-ear buds, for on-ear I got the skullcandy grind wireless for 35 bucks and they are very good for wireless heaphones, I enjoy metal and goa a lot with these. For big ass cans I got the AKG K550 second hand, I find they are a bit stale for dance music unfortunately