1. Carbon - Nomad (GoaTree Remix)

2. GoaTree - Vader 

3. GoaTree - Damned 

4. GoaTree - Labyrinth 

5. GoaTree - Black Star Of The Death

6. GoaTree - Cell Connections 

7. GoaTree - No Time To Waste 

8. GoaTree - Hide And Clap

I have heard of GoaTree but I dont think I ever went through his music so I'm doing this with a fresh set of ears.

This is the black star of THE Death, not of death in general, but of a certain, particular death. Mysterious, wouldn't you say? Anyway, if you are expecting a dark and serious atmosphere like I was, you shan't be dissapointed! Lets begin!

1. Nomad (GoaTree Remix): Introduces us to the theme of the album which is the combination of goa and dark/forest and I couldnt be more happy with it because it mixes the best of both worlds! It made me bounce around in my chair which is always a good sign! Highly psychodelic! 5/7

2. Vader: I expect nerdgasms just because of the name alone! Anyhow, the special part of this track, beside it being an amazing track, is its sample: "Vader... was seduced... by the dark side... of the force." It repeats a lot but its so damn catchy that I couldnt stop myself from saying it along with the track every...single...time!  The track itself is 303 and melody heavy. At 7:20 we have a cool little playful melody followed by a great semi-climax. Masterfully composed track. Love it to bits! 7/7

3. Damned5/7

4. Labyrinth: Has a 3 minute long intro which builds up into a melodic explosion which persists for a good part of the track but it doesnt overstay its welcome. The track then slowly winds down to its conclusion. Great stuff! 6/7

5. Black Star Of The Death: I always have high expectations for title tracks and I was pleasently surprised this time. IMO, its the best track on this album. It has a HUUUUGE climax. I love successfully executed climaxes! 7/7

6. Cell Connections: A more simplistic track which sounds very oldschool to me. Has a dose of playful and funky rhythm. 6/7

7. No Time To Waste: First part of the track is high-tech heavy which then weirdly transitions into a twisted folk melody. Wasn't particularily impressed by this one but its far from being bad 4.5/5

8. Hide And Clap: A nice conclusion to the album. Nothing special but it does it job of signing off. 5/7

Summery: A darkpsy infested goa album with a couple of gems. Tracks are complex, well and patiently structured and decently varied. This release is of a big caliber and it came as a pleasant surprise.

6/7

You can download for free or choose to support the label and artist (name your price) at:

https://neogoarecords.bandcamp.com/album/black-star-of-the-death

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Been listening all morning. Thought Labyrinth was the standout, but every track is pretty sweet.

5. Black Star Of The Death: I always have high expectations for title tracks

Funny you say that, those are always the tracks where i keep my expectations at nil. definitely proved myself wrong on this one. 

Real dancefloor destoyer

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that the whole album is very dancefloor friendly. Hope I'll have the chance to hear GoaTree in a live party! Id probably colapse from all the energy in these tracks hahah

the special part of this track, beside it being an amazing track, is its sample: "Vader... was seduced... by the dark side... of the force."

I wish he'd have kept that as the only sample in the track (and perhaps used only half of the repeats) because it actually works and goes "with the beat". The rest of the samples sound like they're just randomly dumped in there with no thought.

That being said, this is definitely an upgrade from Akasha Connection (which eventually wasn't particularly good if you ask me). This is the kind of drive I expected from the first album after hearing Syslit Joint (that came out before Akasha). Now that drive is here on this album, and it's fortunately taken a turn towards the darker (although with all this "dark"psy around the expression has a bit lost its edge) which is always a plus in my book of goa trance :)

Currently I'm leaning towards Cell Connections as being the highlight of the album, but I need to take some more listens. Unfortunately this arrived too late to be properly dancefloor tested this summer since the outside party season is basically over and I'm on a well earned break from gigging for now.

I might sound biased when it comes to music and content it self on this album (which I liked and it's one of the reasons why I decided to push it for early autumn release), this album in my humble opinion got amazing sound-quality and production value. We shared it with some DJs earlier and folks who had a chance to play it on bigger soundsystems gave a feedback that it sounds way better than most of 'the usual' stuff that we and other labels release and publish on so-called Goa scene. I believe them, even I personally didn't have the opportunity to check it in thoose conditions yet. However, I also believe they're right and I can say from personal perspective, based on years-long experience and priviledge of working with Lukaš/GoaTree, it's a huge step towards more sharper, spot-on Goa-influenced groove and dance-floor friendly type of sound. I wouldn't like to use word 'commercial', but more rhythm driven and smarter usage of melodies, while keeping the 'darker' or obscure vibe present through the whole recording.

Overall, if you're into super-melodic kind of Goa trance, this record isn't for you. If you're into more raw and oldschool type of Goa trance, this record isn't for you either. But, if you're into well-executed, modern blend of melodic aspects of Goa trance and groove-extravaganza fueled with clever storytelling and top notch production, I believe you should give a chance to Black Star Of The Death. It's not super psychedelic, but it's different and it got it's own signature.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Richpa said:

it's a huge step towards more sharper, spot-on Goa-influenced groove and dance-floor friendly type of sound. I wouldn't like to use word 'commercial', but more rhythm driven and smarter usage of melodies, while keeping the 'darker' or obscure vibe present through the whole recording.

Overall, if you're into super-melodic kind of Goa trance, this record isn't for you. If you're into more raw and oldschool type of Goa trance, this record isn't for you either. But, if you're into well-executed, modern blend of melodic aspects of Goa trance and groove-extravaganza fueled with clever storytelling and top notch production, I believe you should give a chance to Black Star Of The Death.

Spot on, That pretty much summarises the review I've written for Mamomam's VA - 604 Syndroms compilation (Posting later). That dancefloor focused Goa sound that doesn't sacrifice everything we love about the genre. I'm hoping more artists start doing this every now and then to get more tracks played by dj's at clubs and parties

7 hours ago, Richpa said:

I might sound biased.

You're not. Even if your Record house is the source of this release you are allowed to have an opinion and share it with us. Actually, you probably know more about it then us which have been listening to it for only a couple of days so publishers or even artists input is always welcome. Same goes for the Suntrip, Chrome, DAT guys.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Richpa said:

a huge step towards more sharper, spot-on Goa-influenced groove and dance-floor friendly type of sound. I wouldn't like to use word 'commercial', but more rhythm driven and smarter usage of melodies, while keeping the 'darker' or obscure vibe present through the whole recording.

Also, I agree with this completely. There have been a couple of releases lately that I feel are signaling a change in goa trance to something better, and that has me very excited! :D

On 9/18/2017 at 8:55 PM, MrAnarchy said:

DH6dmW7XoAAk7oh.jpg

Artist: GoaTree

Title: Black Star Of The Death

Tracklist:

1. Carbon - Nomad (GoaTree Remix)

2. GoaTree - Vader 

3. GoaTree - Damned 

4. GoaTree - Labyrinth 

5. GoaTree - Black Star Of The Death

6. GoaTree - Cell Connections 

7. GoaTree - No Time To Waste 

8. GoaTree - Hide And Clap

I have heard of GoaTree but I dont think I ever went through his music so I'm doing this with a fresh set of ears.

This is the black star of THE Death, not of death in general, but of a certain, particular death. Mysterious, wouldn't you say? Anyway, if you are expecting a dark and serious atmosphere like I was, you shan't be dissapointed! Lets begin!

1. Nomad (GoaTree Remix): Introduces us to the theme of the album which is the combination of goa and dark/forest and I couldnt be more happy with it because it mixes the best of both worlds! It made me bounce around in my chair which is always a good sign! Highly psychodelic! 5/7

2. Vader: I expect nerdgasms just because of the name alone! Anyhow, the special part of this track, beside it being an amazing track, is its sample: "Vader... was seduced... by the dark side... of the force." It repeats a lot but its so damn catchy that I couldnt stop myself from saying it along with the track every...single...time!  The track itself is 303 and melody heavy. At 7:20 we have a cool little playful melody followed by a great semi-climax. Masterfully composed track. Love it to bits! 7/7

3. Damned5/7

4. Labyrinth: Has a 3 minute long intro which builds up into a melodic explosion which persists for a good part of the track but it doesnt overstay its welcome. The track then slowly winds down to its conclusion. Great stuff! 6/7

5. Black Star Of The Death: I always have high expectations for title tracks and I was pleasently surprised this time. IMO, its the best track on this album. It has a HUUUUGE climax. I love successfully executed climaxes! 7/7

6. Cell Connections: A more simplistic track which sounds very oldschool to me. Has a dose of playful and funky rhythm. 6/7

7. No Time To Waste: First part of the track is high-tech heavy which then weirdly transitions into a twisted folk melody. Wasn't particularily impressed by this one but its far from being bad 4.5/5

8. Hide And Clap: A nice conclusion to the album. Nothing special but it does it job of signing off. 5/7

Summery: A darkpsy infested goa album with a couple of gems. Tracks are complex, well and patiently structured and decently varied. This release is of a big caliber and it came as a pleasant surprise.

6/7

You can download for free or choose to support the label and artist (name your price) at:

https://neogoarecords.bandcamp.com/album/black-star-of-the-death

Thanks for the review, its always interesting to read how certain track is perceived by a different people. Im glad the good sound is mentioned since I put a lot of effort into it (sometimes I got the impression I spent more time on education that on production), constantly trying to improve the mix and constantly staying unsatisfied with it :) 

I see you are from Serbia, that "rhythmic" Vader speech came to my mind while I was with Stefana, Kiril and Imba at psychedelic party one day after my gig :)

just random thoughts after I have read through the comments:

-nobody noticed or hated down that Vader is basically an extension of "the force" :P 

-I consider "hide and clap" one of my best track but it seems people dont share this opinion

-Pauli you are right Akasha could be better but still there are some tested party bombs that works every time :)

-Im still not sure why this album (which wasnt a planned album, I just realised I have enough material while preparing new stuff for gigs) turned out to be darker, since I dont listen to goa or psychedelic or dark stuff in general last years (mostly I listen to chillout, blues, reggae, dubtechno etc). Maybe Im getting older and darker :D next album if there will be any should be then hispeed goa stuff like "order to my chaos"

Last but not least thanks to everyone that supported Neogoa ;)

• Like 1

On 23/09/2017 at 2:09 AM, goaTree said:

-I consider "hide and clap" one of my best track but it seems people dont share this opinion

...except me. I consider it to be your best track ever. Above "Labyrinth", "Order to my Chaos" and "Memento Mortis" (which are excellent btw).
The feeling remind me "Children of the Night" by UX in some moments. This almost same pulsating dark/cyber aesthetic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2017 at 11:49 AM, Lightforce said:

...except me. I consider it to be your best track ever. Above "Labyrinth", "Order to my Chaos" and "Memento Mortis" (which are excellent btw).
The feeling remind me "Children of the Night" by UX in some moments. This almost same pulsating dark/cyber aesthetic.

Thanks man, appreciate it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Great production, great creativity, 604 trance is alive!
Really enjoying this album, every track as its own story and overall the album has its own identity, congrats!

It isn't easy to create a darkish vibe while keeping the sound clean and detailed, and IMO this album does that. It is not easy also to keep the goa vibe when the sound is modern, and this album brings the best of both worlds in its own way.

Boom!

10 hours ago, Xamanist said:

Great production, great creativity, 604 trance is alive!
Really enjoying this album, every track as its own story and overall the album has its own identity, congrats!

It isn't easy to create a darkish vibe while keeping the sound clean and detailed, and IMO this album does that. It is not easy also to keep the goa vibe when the sound is modern, and this album brings the best of both worlds in its own way.

Boom!

Thanks Sergio,

nice to hear such a feedback from a fellow producer;)

• 2 months later...

I know everyone here has been waiting on pins and needles for my opinion on this Neogoa release.

aXxN8F8.gif

We all know this label is the leader in releasing quality goa trance for it's liberation, allowing the world to enjoy the hypnotic sounds for free most of the time.  Can't beat that.  This is Lukáš Bartošek from somewhere probably cold with his full length debut and he goes a bit dark with pretty good results.  People evaluate music in different ways and one of my favorite ways is in the car.  There is something magical about moving at high speed enclosed in a steel rocket as the sounds pan from front driver's side to back right passenger.  And if it's night time?  A simple trip to pick up some bread might take over an hour.

"But shouldn't you just focus on the road?"

D9bspET.gif

I'm sorry, what?

His kicks are thunderous and the growling synths advance slowly in tracks like Vader leaving broken bodies in its wake.  Sure the sample is a little corny, but I'll allow it with all the f*cking Star Wars hysteria going around.  Damned has a chip on its shoulder that dares you to knock it off.  No Time To Waste gets back to the thumping style he employed at the start and is the only track with a Middle Eastern flair. Hide and Clap has a little M-run boogie swatter and will elicit head bobbing from even the most resistant, closing out the album nicely. 

The middle of the album is where I think it loses its way.  Labyrinth goes a little light and ditches the goa in favor of a more psytrance feel.  And a minimal one at that.  To be honest I found it boring as hell.  The title track disappoints with its bland action and tooth grinding key changes.  Cell Connections was better, but I'm not interested in better.  I want best.

All in all it's a good album that ticks a lot of the boxes even with a few stumbles.  As such it has my endorsement for a game of real life tag with people taking too f*cking long in the crosswalk.

Wait, don't do that.