WHAT THE HELL IS PROGRESSIVE GOA???

Now this one has been bugging me for a long time... just what the hell is the term "progressive goa" supposed to mean? Is it minimal? Or is it the kind of music that starts minimal and gradually builds up to full on in the end (like Parasence or Human Blue)?

SMI²LE

ok from what I understand:

It is progressive, as it has that 'not full-on' sound, progressively adding layers, with some characteristic effects, but with some typical psychedelic sounds latter on during the music (not noisy full-on type of sounds, but something like futuristic organs,bubbling effects and also laser-type sounds maybe)...

does my explanation work?

so it's progressive, with some psychedelic effects, but not so much that it becomes psy trance

Guest grahf

right. the opposite would be progressive minimal.

"progressive goa" sounds kinda silly, but i guess that would be prog with a more melodic goa than psytrancey vibe. but... this quickly gets into the whole goa vs. psytrance argument which has been discussed ad nauseum, and i am tired of debating endlessly.

Guest antramoksha

progressive is more melodious than " full on".....its more of a sunset party music than midnight rave.....the definition of this kind is music by ARMIN VAN BUUREN...its more eurotrance in nature......not to popular with IM fans.

Trip On!!

No, I think that progressive goa is not some genre but more the way they made music, pushing borders in layer structure and taking it to the higher levels. Like melodic old school with psychedelic effects and stronger basslines...Great examples of progressive goa are for me Shakta - Lepton Head ( Deedrah Rmx ), Etnica - Trip Tonite Rmx, Astral Projection - Power Gen ( Live Mix ), Etnica - Hell's Kitchen, F.L.A. - Evil Playground ( Tim Schuldt Rmx ), Crop Circles - Full Mental Jackpot ( Pleiadians Rmx ), MFG - Why ?, MFG - Process Irreversible ( Passenger Rmx ), Battle Of The Future Buddhas - Lord Of The Dance and many others massive, melodic pieces of artworks. It is mostly made between 98 - 00.

Guest Gussigan

it's another example of genres combining with each other

progressive and trance (eg. mainstream trance) has been together for a while...

progressive psy, or psygressive is fairly prevalent now and yeah it's basically that verging on more minimal sounds and building of layers, but there'll still be that trancey element (otherwise it'd just be prog)

Guest perro andaluz

I still wonder why it is called progressive, be it house or trance. In rock, for instance, progressive means that the music is more complex (jazz elements, odd meters, trained musicians, etc) and requires more time in order to be digested. But I don't find progressive trance more complex than other types of trance, so why call it progressive?

First of all, progressive trance is different from progressive psychedelic trance.Progressive trance is Chris Cowie and progressive psy is Sonnenvakuum for example.For me progressive psy is the kind of psy with less madness,more minimal and you know without the goa touch in it. Now, why are they call it progressive it's something I can't understand too.

Guest SHARNI

IT´S ALL PROGRESSIVE MAN

LOOK PROGRESS AND PROGRESSIVE UP AND YOU´LL FIND OUT THAT IT´S NOT A GENRE IT´S A TERM TO DISCRIBE SOMETHING KNEW, BUT I DON´T THINK PEOPLE KNOW THAT .

EVERY TIME U HEAR SOME NEW TRACK THAT SOUNDS DIFFERENT FROM WHAT U´VE EVER HEARD , THEN IT´S FREAKING PROGRESSIVE , NOT IF ITS SOME HOUSE DJ DOING WHAT HE´S ALWAYS DÓNE .

SO IF YOU ARE CONFUSED, DONT WORRY WE ALL ARE

PROGRESSIVE ISN´T A GENRE IT´S A TERM OF MUSICAL PROGRESS , TO BAD THE "PROGRESSIVE" PEOPLE DONT KNOW THAT :-)

Guest SHARNI

IT´S ALL PROGRESSIVE MAN

LOOK PROGRESS AND PROGRESSIVE UP AND YOU´LL FIND OUT THAT IT´S NOT A GENRE IT´S A TERM TO DISCRIBE SOMETHING KNEW, BUT I DON´T THINK PEOPLE KNOW THAT .

EVERY TIME U HEAR SOME NEW TRACK THAT SOUNDS DIFFERENT FROM WHAT U´VE EVER HEARD , THEN IT´S FREAKING PROGRESSIVE , NOT IF ITS SOME HOUSE DJ DOING WHAT HE´S ALWAYS DÓNE .

SO IF YOU ARE CONFUSED, DONT WORRY WE ALL ARE

PROGRESSIVE ISN´T A GENRE IT´S A TERM OF MUSICAL PROGRESS , TO BAD THE "PROGRESSIVE" PEOPLE DONT KNOW THAT :-)

Guest grahf

Sharni would technically be right, but many people use the term differently than that.

here's a track that might be "progressive goa": Mystery of the Yeti - Tribal Gathering