What is "morning psytrance"?

recursion loop

My understanding is that it is something similar to medodic full-on (Digicult/Epherdix style), with BPMs around 143-145, less emphasis on melodies (though not completely devoid of proper melodic content) and generally sounding more trippy though focused on lighter, atmospheric tones as opposed to night full-on and other harsher/darker kinds of psy. Is this definition of "morning psytrance" correct and what artists fitting the above description could you recommend?

In other words, are these tracks "morning psytrance" or something else and where should I be looking for similar tracks?

I don't think think 'morning psytrance' exist because it's same thing as full-on. Those tracks are full-on, especialy last one, classic definition :)

Just like we like to use it Goa trance for example Morning, Acidic, Darker etc they use same so they can describe style.

• Like 1

I really love playing morning sets; they're kind of my preferred time.

I think there is a lot of morning music out there, outside of full-on.

Think of those great Goa sounds of matsuri records (everything from bass chakra to process to prana to tim schuldt), masa, ticon or xv kilist, some full-on with space cat or man with no name, some super groovy flying rhino bass (blue planet, slinky wizard, process), vertigo records new stuff like delirious noon and sattel battle, some great finnish music like texas faggott and houpatasso mononen or tekniset and shiwa 2000; vishnudata, loopus in fabula, and also the more stripped down planet ben or m.o.s. or x-dream and delta or fuzzion... 

morning music isn't necessarily a genre, it's the way a person assembles a variety of different music and turns it into a morning set. it's kind of like how a note can either be a Bsharp or a C, depending on how it is being played, even though tonally, they are the same. 

morning music is like that. It's about intention... 

this album is very good if you never listened to it before > https://www.discogs.com/Mr-Peculiar-Mind-Dala/release/490300Mr. Peculiar - Mind-dala.

I listened to the tracks uploaded to discogs. Yes, they are very good, exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a ton!

I don't think think 'morning psytrance' exist because it's same thing as full-on. Those tracks are full-on, especialy last one, classic definition :)

Actually it may be that the last track doesn't quite fit the rest of them, it's more intense and more melodic. 

I agree that these tracks may be covered by "full-on" in broad sence, but to me they sound sufficiently different both from Astrix/Ananda Shake kind of full-on and the Nano stuff and more or less similar between each other in the overall feel.

protoculture used to make some nice morning psytrance

space cat indeed as mentioned by goa constrictor

Yeah, I know Circadians and Refractions, great stuff. What I've hear from Space Cat sounds more like Astrix, Electro Sun and similar, doesn't quite fit here.

Anyway I'm actually interested in more recent stuff (2012 and so on). 

the delta isn't a trolling comment or suggestion.

again, it's all about how the music played and the sequencing of it.

Shit like Tribaliser or deltaskelter? absolutely.

Same with the old Organic Noise material.

dark and brooding can work in context if played right. 

I understand that "morning" may refer to what DJs play at morning and also to music having ligher, euphoric tones, which may be not the same thing. I'm more interested in the latter.

Now I'm browsing various full-on compilations released around 2004-2006, it seems that it was the time when melodic/morning full-on was at its peak before it degraded into mindless clubby nonsence. I found many tracks I like, similar to early Protoculture and Mr. Peculiar though they sound a bit dated production-wise. I'd love to hear more recent take on this sound with modern clear big sound and multilayered production. 

Give a listen to the Psy-Harmonics compilation "Iconic"

Also, Shaolin Wooden Men "Supermindway" and Rip Van Hippy "The Whole World's Hip and that's Not Cool"

And, again, I appreciate that some people might not understand why the delta can fit at 7am, but that's why most DJs have shit taste, why many events are generic carbon copies, and the music has consistently been less inspired as the years move on.

Open up and push some boundaries... 

yeah, your posted tracks are what I would consider as Morning Psytrance! actually that is what I like most in Psytrance (>140bpm), therefor I created some mixes in this style:

Science Fiction

Hyperspace

:)

• Like 1

yeah, your posted tracks are what I would consider as Morning Psytrance! actually that is what I like most in Psytrance (>140bpm), therefor I created some mixes in this style:

This thread goes into a recursion loop  :) Actually I found these two your mixes on youtube the other week and liked them very much. After that I decided to learn more about "morning psytrance", in paricular I made this thread.

• Like 1

This thread goes into a recursion loop  :) Actually I found these two your mixes on youtube the other week and liked them very much. After that I decided to learn more about "morning psytrance", in paricular I made this thread.

LOL! :D that's a really funny loop!

btw. I like your description of Morning Psytrance! it fits very well imo.

also Morning Psytrance is really hard to find. there is far too much noise in common Psytrance tracks for me to consider them as being Morning Psytrance.

or they are far to cheesy, like most of melodic Fullon/Psytrance.

• Like 1

also Morning Psytrance is really hard to find. there is far too much noise in common Psytrance tracks for me to consider them as being Morning Psytrance.

or they are far to cheesy, like most of melodic Fullon/Psytrance.

Yeah, stuff like that is pretty rare. I recon you had to go through shitloads of releases to find the tracks for these your mixes. To me it takes the best parts from full-on (the melodies, though not overusing them) and from psytrance (the trippy sounds and psychedelic atmosphere). 

Actually I don't mind highly melodic euphoric full-on when it is really well made, which is also hard to find now. Indeed, it either sounds too cheesy or suffers from poor, amateurish production (or both). It seems that psytrance as a whole (at least the 140+ bpm kinds of it) is going into darker and noisier direction in last few years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2017 at 12:17 PM, recursion loop said:

I listened to the tracks uploaded to discogs. Yes, they are very good, exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a ton!

No worries! And for less formulaic sound, maybe check this album by California sunshine, I Iike the mix between full-on, trance and goa >