Hypnoxock - Sounds From Another Time

Trance2MoveU

cpHadcA.jpg

Artist: Hypnoxock

Title: Sounds From Another Time

Label: Self Released

Date: July, 2017

1. Wormhole (Remastered 2002)
2. The Final Passenger (Nocturnal Mix 2015)
3. Mismo Plastico (Virtualmismo Tribute Remix) 2011
4. Dr. Livingstone (Unreleased 1999)
5. Progresion Ecliptica (Special Edit Ozora 2013)
6. Deluxaflex (Unreleased 2004)
7. Blue Monday (Tribute Remix to New Order)

m1RHFaJ.gif

I have always liked this project.  Imagine South African psytrance loaded with goa elements.  Victor Solsona may not be one of the premier names in psy, but he always delivers the goods.  I'm still working my way through his most recent album Eurythmia, but this came along not soon after.  It's a name your price wav download of unreleased and remixed tracks dating all the way back to 1999.  

I believe his strength is the constant evolution of his tracks.  His current style is never a stagnant 4/4 full-on borefest, but he interjects new melodies and rhythm patterns.  He takes tracks in different directions and is very good at adding atmosphere to provide a more lush sound.  And that's what you get here for the most part even though some of the tracks are pretty old.  One other thing he excels at is really good break work.  Even the uber cheesy remix of New Order's Blue Monday wasn't as bad as it could've been.  Usually when an artist releases something like this there's a reason it was never given a proper release in the first place.

Not so here.  Wormhole is a rollicking good goa track and The Final Passenger changes enough to keep it fresh.  Mismo Plastico keeps the goa vibe going, while Dr. Livingstone is a slow burner full of darkness.  Tracks five and six are more of what you would expect from an album like this and even they aren't bad.

Bottom line this is a great release that doesn't behave like a bunch of older, re-imagined tracks.

Oh by the way...can someone explain to me the Japanese fascination with tentacles?

Bandcamp

Your ability to fish out underrated releases is one of the things that keep this forum alive. Ive never heard of this project.

Downloaded it and Im on track 2 and so far its bloody awesome!

Edit: Now Im on Eurythmia and I think Im in love with this dude

• Like 1