Saluberrimae - Time Is A Flat Circle

Trance2MoveU

LiKbZDy.jpg

Artist: Saluberrimae

Title: Time Is A Flat Circle

Label: Neogoa Records

Date: March, 2017

01 - Trapped Inside (95 BPM)
02 - Jesenné Prebúdzanie Do Letného Rána (80 BPM)
03 - Jennifer Connelly (80 BPM)
04 - Time Is A Flat Circle (70 BPM)
05 - Loophole (70 BPM)
06 - The Abyss (95 BPM)
07 - Čiernobiela (70 BPM)
08 - Frozen (110 BPM)
09 - Večerná Ciga Na Balkóne (80 BPM)
10 - Gestonkenflapped (70/140 BPM)

"I had a dream last night when I woke up, I remembered it but...just a moment ago...huh.  It's gone"

The downtempo/psychill side project of Lukáš Bartošek (Goatree) is a nice mix of dub, chill, and ethnic music with real instruments.    There is so much to unpack here with a bunch of great ideas.  A lot of the tracks have a repetitive phrase which brings a sci-fi feel as if big brother is watching.  Very mechanical and sets the stage well.  The title track is a pensive thinker that exhibits a slow, hypnotic burn.  Loophole has a slow awakening like a beast being preparing for a strike.   Čiernobiela has a post apocalyptic feel with a ponderous hip-hop beat.  Reminded me of NIN ReptilianFrozen turned into an industrial influenced crawl with a very throaty 303.  Was that a bit of Southern guitar licks on track 9?  Felt like a hot summer day on the Mississippi delta.  So what it does, it does well. 

While I liked the ideas unfortunately a few did not realize their potential.  Either there wasn't enough evolution or the great bits didn't last long enough.  The jazzy elements in tracks 2 and 3 just weren't for me.  It's good music and I like where he's going, but for the above reasons it misses greatness.  But just.