The new Shpongle album, Codex 6 is available for pre-order

Well, my expectations are just about as low as they go after the disaster that was their last album. Still, for completeness sake, I'll get it anyway.

WTF? It was their best albums since the debut! :o

Yeah, I've heard about this 'taste' thing and still don't get it ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought it, listened to Emtpy Branes. The intro sounds suspiciously like ...And The Day Turned To Night :) and while it's nothing particularly groundbreaking, it's still way better than anything on Museum Of Consciousness.

Hopefully the whole album is a return to a more organic sound (Empty Branes certainly is).

I'm wondering what the comments would be if it was their 1st album.

Don't expect an artist to be 100% original when doing a 6th full album ;)

Track 3 seems fine in my opinion, but oké, it is just like a Hallucinogen track, but slowed down with a flute on top: not that bad, right?

Plus, why buy if you dislike it? Seems if you buy it you sent out the signal you like it and than why should the artist make something else? #feedtheirony

• 2 months later...

Turned my speakers up and made myself comfortable on my porch in front of the swedish cold forests, blankets, coffee and my trustworthy pipe :P Halfway through and sound pretty nice. I'm not sure Simon and Raja ever will be able to top "Are you shpongled", but I've still enjoyed every release they've made so far. They are moving towards a very certain type of music though, which is cool but I sometimes feel it can be a bit to much of itself? I love the playful nature of Shpongle but wouldn't it be interesting if he were able to incorporate a bit more goa/psy-inspired techniques of repetition, groove and hypnotic structures? Would certainly make it more enjoyable for me as a whole. 

EDIT: Thinking about it, I probably just want another Hallucinogen album :P 

Will probably try to review this when I've heard it more times and find the time, don't think it'll be very groundbreaking but hopefully a nice ride (is so far, for the most part..) :) 

Regarding Shpongle, Nothing Lasts... is my favourite one because the music on this album more experimental than on any other album and the continuous mix is like a psychedelic travel influenced by traditional music from all parts of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

I've already listened to this album more times than Museum Of Consciousness, and it's been out for less than 2 weeks. MOC was released 4 years ago :DD
While I still don't consider this particularly groundbreaking or mindblowing, and while it has basically all ingredients you'd expect from a Shpongle album, it still manages to sound unlike anything else out there. There's less silly FX fuckery this time, and I'm positively amused by Raja's babblings (and it sounds like he's cracking up at the end of I Woke Up As A Shlummutz) :)
Reminds me most of Ineffable Mysteries in its overall feeling.

• Like 1

Has anyone received the discs? Or even a shipping notification? Or any information whatsoever since the Oct27 update which said "You will be notified via email once your Vinyl is shipped"? I'd really need this information due to current circumstances, but it's been quiet on all fronts...

5 hours ago, Dolmot said:

Has anyone received the discs? Or even a shipping notification? Or any information whatsoever since the Oct27 update which said "You will be notified via email once your Vinyl is shipped"? I'd really need this information due to current circumstances, but it's been quiet on all fronts...

Well, I received mine either last week or the one before, can't recall. So maybe you should check with them.