A good-bye to the scene

Anu Katariina

Hard one.

Yet determined and so be it.

I deleted my fb page Goa Trance Lovers Finland, also Twitter account of it. Deleted my personal fb profile. Deleted all online music tubes like soundcloud, mixcloud, youtube even bandcamp after ofc downloading all I had in there. Deleted my gmail e-mail.

Tried to delete psynews. @Penzoline told me it is not possible; they have made a decision for not to. If one insists it can be done but losing all the past history especially links posted. I didn't want that. I can live with my past. Especially with the links posted. Well, he asked me why I ask, I lied to him a friend of mine is interested in that in general terms.

Stated that above maybe it is good this account remained. First I thought I will just go away but that'd be a lesson unlearned. Always wanted to help the scene, nevertheless.

Fb is not the place, psynews is (for discussion and maybe fight) for all that deeply concerns the scene, all achievements, all mistakes.

I came into this scene 3 years ago outta nowhere. Got connected with Neogoa netlabel (at that time it wasn't Records). Many awesome moments but after reading the above you won't be interested in awesomeness, I suppose, but in why I am posting what I am posting.

Goa trance is a small scene. We all wish it to be bigger. Balkan Goa Fanatics has had that fever ever since. But is by no means acceptable that all methods can be used. Like fooling, deliberate betarayal. Booking half of the world of artists with no knowledge how tho ship them there, how to pay even a minimum gig fee. Some artists were cool, wanted to play on a beach, back to Goa type of a thing.

The festival was succesful after all, ppl enjoyed, danced, no one went into a severe dehydration despite of some of lack of infra. This is what I have heard/talked to ppl who were there. But this is what pisses me of the most. All dancing and happy faces were on a stolen grounds. It is the unwritten laws of this small community to survive that no artists or audience is mislead (for selling tickets, for having a bigger cock or whatever). If one is to have an underground style of a party, great, but don't calll it an international festival and advertise it in sucha way.

Can be my overall tiredness but I am glad to say hi-hi and go off :o

As an artist I have been flabbergasted MANY times about this. People accept EVERYTHING in this scene. And if you criticise some stuff, you are the non plur hippie... thats why I always say I am NOT a hippie at all... my state of mind is different... And sometimes things go too far and should be told! (but then you have fights and you are an asshole, remember Elysium?)

I wish you a lot of enjoyment of the music you will listen for sure in the future. This is the essence in the end, music ;)

• Like 3

Well, I don't know the details of what happened but it must have been serious to trigger such a strong reaction. Some time ago I was also tired of psynews.org and asked mods to delete my account which I've been using for 16 years (!!!) ...but after few months I was back. Psy/Goa is not just ANY music to me, it's the way of life :)

In quitting psynews, psytrance related FB/Twitter or Bandcamp you're actually doing more harm to yourself and the artists you love, than to the people doing the shady business.

Also, being older gives me a benefit of reflecting on how time passes and I can clearly see cycles of passion in my life: many years ago popular science was my main thing, then I got deeply interested in gaming technology (game engines, rendering techniques, etc.), recently I switched yet again and got back to writing music. But always goa/psy was there as the undercurrent, providing steady and firm ground I could always fall back on.

So, I'd rather say "see you back soon" instead of "good bye" :)  :wub:

• Like 1

I wish you a lot of enjoyment of the music you will listen for sure in the future. This is the essence in the end, music ;)

"There was not even an option for me to let anything or anyone come between me and music" -Alexi Laiho

Hey Anu, sorry to see you go -- still, let's keep in touch, shall we? =)

You have my phone number :)

Well, I don't know the details of what happened but it must have been serious to trigger such a strong reaction. Some time ago I was also tired of psynews.org and asked mods to delete my account which I've been using for 16 years (!!!) ...but after few months I was back. Psy/Goa is not just ANY music to me, it's the way of life :)

Yep, quite a thing! And I know you went off and came back but it is not my case no matter how much harm I am doing for the artists etc. and in this case, psynews is the most far of the problem, has nothing to do with it. I am disappointed with my dear Neogoa. I saw your comment in fb "you're doing god's work" (on the new comp). I wish I still could feel the same. Instead: bgf is supported and I get why: the history etc.

I think many promoters don't realize that they are at a crossroad where they MUST be/become more professional than ever.

The money surrounding the scene is no longer driven by the releases, unfortunately. Streaming platforms and their economic model have changed the whole ecosystem.

Gigs are the last mean through which artists can get a proper reward for their countless late-night hours of sonic manipulations. Promoters can no longer tell them "hey bro, come and hitch hike to my festival with your gear...btw don't forget your tent. Oh and we're a big family, right, no need to talk about a fee". Doing so they are killing the very scene they are pretending to promote. This is unacceptable.

Booking pretty much every Goa artist out there is a real good initiative, but then promoters are compelled to the most absolute professionalism. And one cannot setup a festival on "hire purchase"... A part of the fees must be secured to build trust, flights need to be booked in advance when they're cheap, communication needs to be sustained with everyone, advertisement be done, etc. The BGF guys did not manage to build a momentum around their festival out of stubbornness and lack of communication, so they obviously didn't get enough trust from the Goa fans, hence didn't have enough presales that could provide the money to fulfill their promises to the artists and the crowd. This, people, is some sort of Pronzi scheme. A scam.

Yeah well, and even if that happens out of bad luck, then the promoter needs to be transparent to the artists (so they no longer block a potential date for a real gig) and to the people (so they know what to expect). What they got instead was silence, false promises (till the last day), lies, lack of professionalism, which are the complete opposite of what we should all strive to work out so our scene leaves its old demons behind.

I completely concur with what you wrote, and this is all the more infuriating as, in the end, the hardcore audience had a blast. If only they'd known they were also trampling the very thing they loved...

Goa trance is a small scene. We all wish it to be bigger. Balkan Goa Fanatics has had that fever ever since. But is by no means acceptable that all methods can be used. Like fooling, deliberate betarayal. Booking half of the world of artists with no knowledge how tho ship them there, how to pay even a minimum gig fee. Some artists were cool, wanted to play on a beach, back to Goa type of a thing.

All dancing and happy faces were on a stolen grounds. It is the unwritten laws of this small community to survive that no artists or audience is mislead (for selling tickets, for having a bigger cock or whatever). If one is to have an underground style of a party, great, but don't calll it an international festival and advertise it in sucha way.

• Like 2

I am disappointed with my dear Neogoa. I saw your comment in fb "you're doing god's work" (on the new comp). I wish I still could feel the same. Instead: bgf is supported and I get why: the history etc.

Oh? So it's Neogoa involved in that mess around BGF festivals and mass cancellations of acts that were supposed to be playing there? Is there anything anywhere I could read on what actually happened?

It's just bad business choices.

I don't really see why you should get upset about.

Hmm..in 98/100 cases I'd prob say the same. You aren't familiar with the topicl All they sold were lies..50 % of the line-up wasn't there..if it was a force majeure (unknown, unexpected) then all right. All was done knowing, feeling, expecting the endcome. My ticket also. 50 € no big deal. The money is fine..I can support..just tell me what I will get and how

Oh? So it's Neogoa involved in that mess around BGF festivals and mass cancellations of acts that were supposed to be playing there? Is there anything anywhere I could read on what actually happened?

Neogoa is involved with silence. Bgf organizator is under their belt. Don't ppl get me wrong. I am not after Stevo. He even named me an honourary member of Balkan Goa Fanatics (because I was a fanatic). I just feel breathing some fresh air..the thing went heavy.  It is not any enjoyable decision to leave and say fuck you all....especially when all I wanted was transparency.

A part of the fees must be secured to build trust, flights need to be booked in advance when they're cheap, communication needs to be sustained with everyone, advertisement be done, etc. The BGF guys did not manage to build a momentum around their festival out of stubbornness and lack of communication, so they obviously didn't get enough trust from the Goa fans, hence didn't have enough presales that could provide the money to fulfill their promises to the artists and the crowd.

For something possibly related, speaking as a potential visitor...

I liked the concept. I don't even demand that much regarding the lineup. For me, a week off in a nice, warm place with a bunch of sceners is already 90% good.

However, I had to skip this festival, just like many others. Why? Because of zero practical information. I just don't get why so many festivals entirely fail to communicate the bare essentials, such as:

• How to travel to the general area?
  • How to get to the actual location?
  • What do you provide?
  • What do I need?

Note that this is not strictly a BGF rant but seriously, what's the deal with adding yet another terabyte to the site's psychedelic flash animation (which makes the interface entirely unresponsive and unreadable) and booking the 137th DJ, while omitting everything the visitors would actually need? Look, I don't have a 20 people crew, a rental bus and three weeks of spare time to dedicate solely on the festival. Neither I have an extra week (or motivation) to conduct research on completely basic matters while meeting spring's deadlines at work. One organiser could type that in a day, instead of making 1000 visitors google for every detail.

BGF finally published some of these basics on 29th of June, one week before the festival. Hey whoopy-doo, that's exactly when I want to start booking flights and possibly extra hotel nights to make the whole trip happen. Nope.

Some major festivals can't even put the date and location on their front page. Seriously?

So here's a tip to any organiser who actually wants people to visit the event: Try to look at your main, public information page as a complete outsider. How much effort does it take to figure out, how to even get there? If already that is a gigantic hassle, how about skipping the shiteload of flash animation/videos and delivering the actual point as the very first thing? Information buried somewhere in the middle of endless, random FB hype chats isn't the correct solution either. It's not enough that you know where it is and how to have a good week. The visitors need to know too. They're paying (or not).

Also, try to make the actual experience pleasant. Make sure that people can get food, drink, good sleep and information, and they know this all in advance. The 137th DJ is just completely irrelevant compared to this. I've had one shit day at a festival simply because the information regarding return buses was completely missing, and there was nobody to answer. From the organising side, I only managed to find people who sold beer and knew absolutely nothing about anything else.

Of course, it's still possible to dismiss this all with belittling and insulting, but my common solution to that is to skip the festival altogether. Done that, several times. I don't have that many vacation days, thus I'm spending them on something that reduces stress instead of adding to it.

This isn't even any hardcore professionalism. It's the most basic thing with any event. I've organised many, and I've always made sure that people know where to go, what to bring, and where to eat. Otherwise it would be just silly to start collecting participation fees. Maybe there are people out there who will shell out a load of money for a "mystery box", but I'm not one of those. Surely I'm not alone with this.

• Like 4

Professional is actualy pretty simple, amateurism is complex.

I was happy to be booked and play again as I did first 2 editions and played other BGF events between but... there are unwriten laws and they are pretty simple, you just need to follow and respect them!

What means you booked artist?

- you reserved artist for that date

- advanced transport (flights, trains, buses, petrol, etc...)

- fee (most of guys do ask at least 50% in advance, some 100%)

- acomodation (normaly by artist choice, no bring-your-tent stuff!, and enough food and drink daily basis)

That's standard thing, some of us have some more or less extras, someones contract is more detailed and so on. But if you booked me, and you know my 'standards' or my conditions to have me playing on your event that means you accepted it.

In this case, I knew nothing until week before festival, no chats, nothing! Then I have been told by organization (and ofcourse I wrote to them first) we wont pay you transport, just half. WTF? Then I start wondering... doing this music since 2008, this month is 9th aniversary, have released 2 full albums, loads of compilation tracks, remixes, collabs etc, 50+ tracks. Played on some major events on 3 continents, really deep into scene and music and I deserved this? Organization not to give fuck about me, not to show a minimal respect nor to the artist side nor to the human side. Not that they won't cover my transport cost, they also don't care how I will get there... Looking at 'career' I am almost senior, just imagine how they behave to new artist then???

I gave them few days to cancel me, announce and explain in public. They didn't so I had to do on my own because crowd need to know. They are innocent here. That was week before the festival and I first one to go public about this...

So most of us ended with canceled gigs, lost date for possible others, lost money for taking days off from job, lost nerves. We have been used as mean to sell tickets and fraud innocents and just pushed away. I lost another gig at EXIT festival which has like 200k+ visitors. All we got are false hopes and 0 respect.

As Mars explained with release sales going down so we almost don't get a money for our music. Gigs are only hope to get some and 80-85% of it going into investing and upgrading gear. Most of guys gets 200-300 euro per gig, 500 if they are lucky... and what is 200 euro if you live in expansive countries like England, Germany, Belgium, France, Finland, Sweden...? I know some of them literally not having enough for food but they are still doing it, because they fucking love it! Guys give everything for this music and deserve nothing? 

Have experienced all kind of terrible things inside scene but this is worst.  :mellow:

• Like 3

Not cool at all, it´s sad no matter the scene when human greediness, ego-centrism, general disinterest or just plain apathy and incompetence get in the way of something as fundamental as music.

I too wish you the best Anu, hope time brings you back if you like

Neogoa is involved with silence. Bgf organizator is under their belt. Don't ppl get me wrong. I am not after Stevo. He even named me an honourary member of Balkan Goa Fanatics (because I was a fanatic). I just feel breathing some fresh air..the thing went heavy.  It is not any enjoyable decision to leave and say fuck you all....especially when all I wanted was transparency.

Hello Richpa here, I just stumbled upon this topic. I will get back to it later today from my personal account here on Psynews.

I will tell you from the first hand that we're not involved in any booking of any artist on this or any other festival. As I told in previous post (I will post this one from the personal account, it will make more sense), we don't run booking agency, we don't make deals for our artists, we don't organize parties or festivals, and that is a FACT. If you don't believe me, here are Imba and Proxeeus commenting this topic, they both know very well how we work and they can tell you did I or any core-member of Neogoa label-team dealt with their bookings, or they were in direct contact with Stevo about their respective gigs on the festival.

Also, if releasing compilation (that has been arranged and confirmed weeks before even festival started) is considered as part of festival organisation than probably we don't have the same definition of festival organisation. As I told to Stevo (prior to the confirmation of BGF Chronicles compilation on Neogoa), we are ready to release it, but under our terms - and that means to be available for free download and properly promoted through official Neogoa channels, and I believe we did that on highly-professional level (just like we are doing with every previous release we had a chance to release). Neogoa's only fault was not to release it on festival (as we promised earlier), because we didn't have good internet connection over there and we had to delay it for a week until I get back home. We posted the annoucement and appologized to the fans and artists for waiting additional week.

Regarding the Neogoa artists playing on festival, please, have a look on how many of them didn't come. So, all that non-sense about us being organizers or something in that vein is false statement without any hard evidence. Also, if we were part of the festival organisation (as Anu claims here publicly), wouldn't we have the similar thing like Suntrip had on first edition of the festival? To be some sort of label-tribute festival? I believe that would be a logical and natural thing to do. We didn't, because it's not our festival.

Website? It was made by us as under Neogoa Design visual department, same as festival flyer and visuals. It's same process like we are creating artworks, websites, flyers for other labels and organisations, that doesn't mean that (giving you the simple example here: flyer made by Neogoa Design for party in Belgium means that we are suddenly part of the core-organisation). See the logic behind this statements?

Important thing also: Did we have any influence on line-up selection? Nope. How could I or any core-member of Neogoa ask or request something that we don't pay, organize, run? What is the logic behind that? If you take a closer look at the artists who came to festival, there was artists from diferent labels/organisations, just like artists from diferent labels/organisations canceled their appereance there (or they couldn't come).

FYI, unlike some people who are comenting about the festival, I was there for 4-5 days and I had a good time. Was it great organisation? It wasn't (and some people here already gave their view/perspective about it) I'm not one to say how to make good festival or how to organize things, it's not my job and I prefer to stick with music releasing and graphic design, but in the end I enjoyed this festival and I didn't have high-expectations. We met some lovely people from different corners of the globe and enjoyed my time in great nature. For sure I was sad that many artists, my friends and fans couldn't come there, but thats not my or Neogoa problem.

And to be fair, I don't prefer to spend my energy on this kind of discussions, you have official BGF event on Facebook, go there and see what people say, what they liked, what they disliked, people who came and people who couldn't come. That will give you the best perspective about whole thing.

@Anu:

For the sake of fair and honest discussion please, provide us a hard evidences that we were involved into organization of this festival!

If you don't have any, than stop putting our name into your own disagreement/frustration with BGF organization workflow. Probably you're not the only one and posting online accusations of Neogoa as label and as a team of people is highly unfair and not a nice way to say goodbye.

Thank you!

I will tell you from the first hand that we're not involved in any booking of any artist on the festival. As I told in previous post, we don't run booking agency, we don't make deals for our artists, we don't organize parties or festivals, and that is a FACT. If you don't believe me, here are Imba and Proxeeus comenting this topic, they both know how we work and they can tell you did I or any member of Neogoa label-team dealt with their bookings or they were in direct contact with Stevo about their gigs on the festival.

Yup - can confirm. That's the one part from Anu's post I didn't really get, but I assumed something must have gotten lost in translation on my side.

• Like 1

We managed to get responses from few of our artists and DJ's who were contacted for the festival gig and I asked them about us being involved into gig-dealing / booking. I won't post screenshots due to their Facebook privacy, but here are the short responses they had after reading this topic:

Proxeeus (Jerome):
on my side : nope, no involvement from Neogoa Recs regarding any kind of booking request / management that I know of - I was in direct contact with Stevo when we tried to arrange the logistics -- which is another topic entirely.

GoaTree (Lukas):
Nope, no contact from Ivan regards BGF

JaraLuca (Lukasz):
My booking was also directly via Stevo

DJ Pagoan (Marko):
I think every artist was booked by Stevo..

DJ Masala (Masala):
My booking was also Stevo.

Imba (Nikola):
No contact via Richpa or Neogoa

More will follow Anu, don't worry, I'm sure Stevo will have something to say too.

Neogoa is involved with silence. Bgf organizator is under their belt.

This meant organizator = DJ Stevo belongs to Neogoa records DJ roster http://www.neogoa.net/stevo/The sentence said organizator, not organization. So I never stated Neogoa Rec is involved in organization business. What Neogoa is involved with is looking the other way when someone in their roster ("under their belt") isn't  expressing needed professionalism. I have always felt that all the artists in the roster are the face of the label and if they don't behave, it is a label head's job to spank them. That's my frustration with Neogoa. It is very simple actually. I wanna support labels whose number one virtue is honesty. @Richpa wrote in fb that the festival was his best festival experience, despite of the hardships. If he had written also that "there will be some inside label feedback discussion, though" or something similiar to that I would have been satisfied with it and thought that maybe he will spank Stevo, indeed. Neogoa Rec is not involved with the organization but surely their artists cannot be dealt with as individual operators but always carrying the label's name and honour whatever business they do in the scene. The same goes with Suntrip bc the organizator is under their belt also. But what separates Neogoa and Suntrip here is that Anoebis posted on the event the reason why he does not come. Told publically that his name was written wrong on the plane ticket and that he had no idea how to travel to the location from the airport and after the fest how to travel to airport. If he had wanted to cover for Stevo he would have chosen "not so straight words". Suntrip didn't make that statement, Anoebis did, but is is close enough. One could read bw the lines that the label wasn't happy with the organizator who is under their belt. That's the effort towards honesty and transparency.

Not sure where the "Neogoa was behind BGF" idea / rumor comes from, I just read about it, and there's no truth in that. Hard to deny that Stevo and Neogoa are closely connected, but Richpa didn't ask for anybody or anything here. Richpa came as a guest, all he did there in an "official" manner was sell some CDs and talk to "his" artists about future plans (and serve them Gemischt :lol: ). All artists were "booked" by Stevo personally, there was also no "Neogoa" stamp on the festival.

Why have so many Neogoa artists actually been there? Well, just so happens that they are relatively close to the location compared to others. However, a lot of Neogoa artists also weren't there. As for myself: I went there on my own, arranged the travels myself, played stage manager for half the festival and played a whole of a lot of DJ sets to fill gaps. Nobody asked me to do it, that was just me being passionate about it (and this is not meant in a salty way to anybody else).

Now something about BGF that I need to say in public just to get more opinions out there:

The festival being a mess, and I do hate to say it because there's no way for me to not like the guy, is solely on Stevo trying to do all and everything by himself. There's only so much you can do as one man and he should have known, this wasn't the first time. I wish he asked Neogoa, or anybody else for that matter, for support, but he didn't as far as I know and we saw the result. That's what it is. There was no puppet master Richpa pulling the strings behind the curtain, there was no scam to get people into buying tickets and run away with bags full of money. There was only that guy who has too much heart for his head to be able to handle, who needs to seriously take a break from organizing, think good and hard about this, and find the ability to ask people for help in the future. He was very lucky that people came in a massively good mood and volunteered to help.

In some way, it was really like the last editions of BGF: the attendees made the festival. Now if that's a reason for somebody to "quit the scene" I pity them, because in my own view, this festival showed to me what goa is all about: passion. Even though the organization failed in nearly every possible way, and everybody who was actually there will confirm this, we didn't let that impact our mood and had a wonderful week.

You can call it "stolen grounds", but there's nobody preventing people from unleashing a major shitstorm over Stevo and ask for their money back (I'm sure EU law would even make it possible). Instead, he's being praised. Of course, that's the other extreme that I don't agree with, because confidence in himself as an organizer is the last thing he needs right now.

So don't get me wrong, I don't want to fall into the "everything is fine" category that Anoebis mentioned. Artists calling off because of travel, money or whatever organizational issues have my support, so does every "fan" who had his favorite artist cancelled after buying a ticket and now calls a fraud. I also don't see another (public) BGF festival coming, there's no way out of this reputation.

But while there is a long list of possible reasons for which one would want to quit "the scene" (wide abuse of drugs including weed and alcohol, opinion intolerance, music getting more and more bland, capitalism, psytrance evolving into pop culture, ...), one screwed up festival, where ultimately only the organizer lost something, is pretty far down that list.

• Like 2

This meant organizator = DJ Stevo

DJ Stevo isn't organizator, Balkan Goa Fanatics is. The other thing is how much work certain member of that organization is doing and who have the biggest responisbility.

belongs to Neogoa records DJ roster http://www.neogoa.net/stevo/

Yes, he is part of Neogoa DJ-team just like he is part of Suntrip, Timewarp and BGF DJ-team. Your point is...?

So I never stated Neogoa Rec is involved in organization business.

You did, while replying to Antic's spot-on question:

Neogoa is involved with silence.

What Neogoa is involved with is looking the other way when someone in their roster ("under their belt") isn't  expressing needed professionalism. I have always felt that all the artists in the roster are the face of the label and if they don't behave, it is a label head's job to spank them.

I don't spank anyone and it's not my job to do. Certain criteria in every serious label has to exist and the only thing when I react is when someone who has been promoted by our label forgets to give proper credit to the label when playing the material we released. That's the basics of the licence we release under. The other situation is when our artists leak music prior to the release on SoundCloud. We don't like that and we prefer to release the material via official channels under the conditions we consider to be a part of finished release.

Stevo plays Neogoa music on parties and he never played anywhere without giving a proper credit to the label(s) he represents. That is a fact.

That's my frustration with Neogoa. It is very simple actually. I wanna support labels whose number one virtue is honesty. @Richpa wrote in fb that the festival was his best festival experience, despite of the hardships. If he had written also that "there will be some inside label feedback discussion, though" or something similiar to that I would have been satisfied with it and thought that maybe he will spank Stevo, indeed.

It was great festival from my personal perspective as a visitor. I came there as a Goa trance fan, not as an artist (I don't play DJ sets, I don't do live-acts). When did you see us (Neogoa Records) reviewing festivals from our official channels or any parties where our artists or DJs played? Have you seen any Neogoa Records Facebook, Twitter, Google+ post about our perspective on certain party, festival, whatever? You haven't because we don't do that.

I posted on event page my (from my personal private Facebook account) view of the festival and what I liked it because of my own personal reasons, just like dozens of other people posted their experiences. You think I don't have a right to give opinion as a fan or visitor, huh? Why should I spank Stevo? Was that a Neogoa Records festival? Explain it please....

Neogoa Rec is not involved with the organization but surely their artists cannot be dealt with as individual operators but always carrying the label's name and honour whatever business they do in the scene.

They run their own gigs and bookings and they have absolute freedom.

But what separates Neogoa and Suntrip here is that Anoebis posted on the event the reason why he does not come.

How on the hell you connected Neogoa and Suntrip by single post of Joske (reffering to the visitors as DJ Anoebis) on event page and the reasons he gave he couldn't come? Seriously? Dude posted why he couldn't be there and told others who were there to have fun...Do you believe that was the official 'Suntrip Records statement' or that my personal experience of festival was 'official Neogoa Records statement'? Guy posted info to people as the artist/DJ. He informed them, just like I posted my status about festival experience as a visitor...

One could read bw the lines that the label wasn't happy with the organizator who is under their belt. That's the effort towards honesty and transparency.

Reading between the lines is a tricky thing to do. I'm sure they won't mix their own personal view/feelings about the organization with the work of Suntrip Records. Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any label posting anything via official channels about this festival. People who were there posted what they think about it and people who couldn't be there (from any reason) also posted their own personal view.

• Like 1

I must point out that in no way Neogoa is responsible for the behaviour of other people, professionally as an artist of the label, or otherwise. Anu, you should know by now how rumours work. You practically accused Neogoa directly of the festival debacle. Any second hand account of what you said won't make that distinction. Reputation is important. If you have beef with the organisers of the festival, then have it with them.

Not sure where the "Neogoa was behind BGF" idea / rumor comes from

A misunderstanding.

Thanks for writing @pdinklag: I am not gonna quote the whole post step by step but many good points there.

My concern for Stevo is a big worry if he will see/admit that some things need to be fixed. Kind of what you wrote, too. But maybe he listens to some critizism this time and takes it in a constructive way, who knows.

I am not quitting bc of a festival gone south. I am quitting bc after a few years as a hangaround for Neogoa I cannot go back to an ordinary listener without leaving my bigger mission to take more Neogoa Rec roster artists to promote themselves and the label in the Finnish radio for example ;) I think there easily would have been the third time in the radio in the future. Just one example. You were there with Matti but I arranged the thing and the same with the first time when I was there present myself along with an artist. I enjoyed doing this kind of promo for Neogoa. After being part of neat things, if one cannot continue, it can be better to quit totally and aim for other future endeavours.

@Richpa  We interpret words differently. You still insist I stated neogoa Rec is part of bgf organization even tho I didn't say that. Involved with silence does not mean calling Neogoa Rec as a part of the organizaton. I am involved in speaking up. Neogoa is practicing= is involved in silence.

I don't spank anyone and it's not my job to do. Certain criteria in every serious label has to exist and the only thing when I react is when someone who has been promoted by our label forgets to give proper credit to the label when playing the material we released. That's the basics of the licence we release under. The other situation is when our artists leak music prior to the release on SoundCloud. We don't like that and we prefer to release the material via official channels under the conditions we consider to be a part of finished release.

They run their own gigs and bookings and they have absolute freedom.

Pretty much everything in a nutshell is the different point of view of ours regarding how far should the label responsibility extend. That's why end of discussion.

. And sometimes things go too far and should be told! (but then you have fights and you are an asshole, remember Elysium?)

This is so true. Sadly. That's why I am better off.

I will tell you from the first hand that we're not involved in any booking of any artist on this or any other festival.

Hmm English is not our native language here and I think there is some sort of translation issue. I didn't undertsand Anu's sentence the way you did. I understood it, more or less as : "DJ Stevo is related to Neogoa, BGF and Neogoa are related both musically and culturally, BGF provides a lot of exposure, so Neogoa is looking in the other direction". A kind of silenced indulgence. Or some "esprit de corps" (group spirit) if you prefer. And who knows, maybe BGF will organize another event in the future, and maybe there will be new opportunities for those who remain indulgent.

Disclaimer: @Richpa I'm not trying to put words into your mouth, I'm just trying to find a plausible clarification to Anu's statement.

Though, having conduced my own poll, I was stunned to see the same pattern (silenced indulgence) through most of the HR, RS, MK, BH, ME, SI artists/people who attended... Imba, who's one of the only western Balkan artists who didn't attend, is the exception.

How on the hell you connected Neogoa and Suntrip by single post of Joske (reffering to the visitors as DJ Anoebis) on event page and the reasons he gave he couldn't come? Seriously? Dude posted why he couldn't be there and told others who were there to have fun...Do you believe that was the official 'Suntrip Records statement' or that my personal experience of festival was 'official Neogoa Records statement'? Guy posted info to people as the artist/DJ. He informed them, just like I posted my status about festival experience as a visitor...

Reading between the lines is a tricky thing to do. I'm sure they won't mix their own personal view/feelings about the organization with the work of Suntrip Records. Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any label posting anything via official channels about this festival. People who were there posted what they think about it and people who couldn't be there (from any reason) also posted their own personal view.

Well I wasn't there, I was scared the hygiene conditions wouldn't be sufficient with regard to my condition (and from what I see they were really not) but thankfully (or not) I've seen it all from the inside. So I can definitely comment on it.

Anoebis had been warning Stevo. We could see it coming from far away, that the festival was organised "on credit" and without sufficient focus/professionalism. We knew that many artists were only contacted once like "are you coming? ok great" with absolutely no further follow-up (fee, schedules, etc). I'm 40 and I've known this scene for 21 years, Anoebis is 35/18, and we've seen it before and we know what it means. This alone, is unacceptable.

Though we were in a tricky situation: if we said that everything was badly fucked up, and then the crowd didn't come, we would have been held responsible for it.

Also we have 604bookings which wasn't involved for these bookings, but will definitely be in the future even when we believe the promoter is trustable, and which is supposed to speak when it comes to Suntrip artists' bookings.

So we resigned ourselves to adopt a sort of "wait and see" posture. With much desperation, believe me, as we may as well be accused of complicity in the mess' aftermath.

And because of the lack of information, of the lack of promotion, of the rumours, we started to get them complaints from concerned people, who feared the festival would be a complete scam. Especially from Belgians which is a very tight scene and who believe Anoebis is an icon, pretty much involved in any goa party on the planet, especially if the main organizer is a Suntrip DJ. Complaints to Suntrip. Not BGF. Suntrip. That meant Suntrip's reputation, Anoebis reputation was starting to be stained because of the BGF organizational mess.

That was a hard blow.

And then we got these complants from the artists, who had understood they wouldn't be contacted again, had asked to be withdrawn long ago and were still on the lineup even after asking their removal; we got them these bloody complaints from artists who hadn't got their plane tickets, who were promised a "doing my best, will solve it tomorrow" until il was too late; or who did have their plane tickets but with typos on them and every typo was 50€ to correct, for which Stevo didn't want to pay of course, and whose fee, when there was one, would not even cover the update. We got these complants from artists who were asked ot pay half of their trip on their own. We got these complaints from artists who were somehow "kindly asked" to hitch hike with their gear. I would, maybe, be able to understand that using a mindset where I'd be convinced BGF would be a big spirutual communion where every attendee shall stop at nothing to make THE magic happen. Man, no! This period is over because artists get their money through gigs nowadays and they can't always lower their standards.

And then, I was handed FB conversations screenshots from artists who asked for the bare minimum fee and infos and who were litterally insulted. What kind of promoters talk to the very people who make the music they're supposed to love and whom they book on their festival like that? Or what are they on? Shame.

What Imba said earlier is a PALE depiction of what really happened behind the scenes.

I'm so furious.

Even though we had seen it all coming and we were receiving these complaints, we remained mostly silent because if we'd spoken out, we'd have become the insta-bad-guys who would have destroyed the audience's trust and who would have ruined the party. 

No way.

Alerted by some artists, we finally asked 604bookings to pressure Stevo into publishing the "real" lineup for the sake of the audience; which he did, more or less. It was not long before the festival and some artists were still negociating to get their plane tickets fixed or the typos corrected, so even the updated lineup was very optimistic. And we shared the post because that was the only thing to do so people would see what they're really paid for. And yes, there were things to be read between the lines.

In the end despite the chaos, despite only a fraction of the promised lineup, the last minute directions, the terrible hygiene conditions, the lack of supplies, the sound system issues, etc, the artists who were there did the extra mile and the crowd who was there lived it as some roots undergound party and it seems many had some good time. Yet...

All dancing and happy faces were on a stolen grounds.

So damn true, and sad.

Like I said, this scene can only survive through gigs, hence their professionalization. Some might argue that's because we're no longer authentic or some bullshit like that, I'll say you're 10+ years behind, and blind to the predicament streaming platforms have put us into. So, in my view, what BGF did is treason.

FYI we're  preparing a statement to express Suntrip's point in the matter.

• Like 1

Goa trance is a small scene. We all wish it to be bigger. 

I do not wish it to be bigger. I wish for more "quality" and for more support of that which is awesome, but not bigger...

(by scrolling quickly down these replies it appears that there is much extra layers of context to the original post but... meh... not sure I need to be involved in that)

• Like 2

What an amazing blockbuster and fantastic action with this festival.

I see it like epic battle between Mind and Heart.

I really think that its very serious event for goa trance chronicles: many hype, critic and happines. All unclusive :D

So, some words from me.

Part 1. Mind.

It was be maximum hard booking for me if talk about material things. I forgot about fucking international passoprt because was very busy with Terraformer release and pay 800 euro for fast making, visa etc.

But Stevo help me and send me 200 euro. So, 600 euro for my stupid.

But i need send tooo much orders in june to clients and all money important and of course i was think about maby cancel this booking. But i feel that i need go here, because its pure goa trance festival. 100% clean product.

Ok, when i go to airport, guys say me that its not active, they not see me. I call Stevo and he say me: fuck, fuck man. Haha.

So i go back and see on fucking Moscow rain and understand that i not want go back. No no. And i buy ticket on this airpane for my money, its + 200 euro :D

800 in total.

For nothing. But i stay positive every time because my mind more punk, i like action and adventures.

When i go to location (amazing amazing), i not can buy food and i go 4km with hard sun to grill bar near airport.

Part 2. Heart.

But fuck!!! What an amazing tuna salad in this grill bar hahaha. Wow. And very beautiful girl who give me it. Nice.

First night i feel that i am meet God on dancefloor. I remember we dance with macedonian crew and start play DJ Masala. Big Master. Amazing vision of goa trance.

And i go to bich and see to sky and stars was be Amazing. I total relax on dancefloor and feel me like home. Music make all.

I know fests with amazing organization, sound system and deco, but its not sexy because its not pure goa trance.

I live near Stevo tent and talk with him every day. Its man of Heart. He not business man who want take your money and deceit you. He just want make maximum and i understand him because i am too. But he need more cool balance between heart and mind.

Its main problem of this fest, not cool balance.

But if talk about vibe, its unreal event. 10/10.

Epilogue.

So, i understand all people, artists who have problems with this festival but my heart with Balkan Goa Fanatics. Of course, and i think that Stevo great man, because he give all his power, lost many resourses, make many mistakes, but make amazing party. He give me more, that many many fests before ;)

We have idea make new festival in future, its just idea now but i feel inspiration. Global Sect can make good internet marketing and another importang things.

If another labels, promouters and other guys want make 100% pure goa trance professional fest we open for all ideas. Its can be not BGF, but something new and Stevo can help us because he have big experience. But he will be not alone.

We just need find golden middle between all elements because Mind and Heart not need have battle, they need friendship ;)

Goa Trance never die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

@ GS Concept

Dear you, all you wrote is heart. Even how you came over with the material inconveniences: heart, too.

Leaders need to think about the bigger picture: what's the history and how can we help the future. It can be a nasty job and ppl can get hurt. All good-hearted "material" won't help the scene in the long run. Responsibility and professionalism are the words since we already have heart enough. At least all who have a psynews account have that heart.

• Like 1