Looking for a bit of feedback :)

Hey all!

Just finished working on this track and was wondering if I could get some feedback on it.

Specifically how it sounds on your setup. I mastered it on my monitors and I've had some issues with how it sounds on people's headphones.

Thanks!

Hope you have a great rest of your day!

Well, the sounds are good, the ideas are solid, the dedication is there (25min?! WTF ;):D) but the way it's recorded make it sound as if it was playing from behind a wall or from outside of a club (with some windows open). The sound is hollow, missing the mids completely. It's difficult to focus on it this way...

What are you producing this on? Is it some kind of hi-fi with inverted disco smile EQ preset?

BTW, your album on Bandcamp sounds awesome and - other than being quiet - is pretty well balanced, so maybe there's something wrong with your current monitoring setup?

Either way, wonderful job, improve that mix balance and keep us posted! :)

• Like 1

Specifically how it sounds on your setup. I mastered it on my monitors and I've had some issues with how it sounds on people's headphones.

the only thing i can hear on my monitors at normal volumes is the thump of the kick, a hint of the bass and some hats. if i turned it up to hear the full track with all the melodies, i'd probably wake the neighbours.

i agree with antic: it sounds as if played through a wall.

so yeah, your balance is way off on this one.

Well, the sounds are good, the ideas are solid, the dedication is there (25min?! WTF ;):D) but the way it's recorded make it sound as if it was playing from behind a wall or from outside of a club (with some windows open). The sound is hollow, missing the mids completely. It's difficult to focus on it this way...

What are you producing this on? Is it some kind of hi-fi with inverted disco smile EQ preset?

BTW, your album on Bandcamp sounds awesome and - other than being quiet - is pretty well balanced, so maybe there's something wrong with your current monitoring setup?

Either way, wonderful job, improve that mix balance and keep us posted! :)

Haha, ye man. I made 7 of them xD--four years of my life :). I actually forgot that I made a post in this thread to be honest.

That version that I shared was an attempt at mine to master the track myself--before I kind of just came to the conclusion that

I want somebody else to do that work lol.

Here's the unmastered version:

https://soundcloud.com/allthingsflow/hypnotica-premaster

My headphones are quite old and the track is always sounding different to me each time I play it but that is what it is without

the mastering.

Haha! I'm super glad you like the album on Bandcamp. That was the first album I ever made back before I got into the dedication bender ;).

If you want to let me know what you think of the unmastered version that would be great.

Like I said, I have 6 more--well 5 actually (I lost one in a file transfer)--on their way so if you want to follow me on sc or get in touch with me

via email, I would be happy to add you to the list of people that get free copies of the 6 final tracks once their mastered.

Let me know!

Thanks again for the reply!

the only thing i can hear on my monitors at normal volumes is the thump of the kick, a hint of the bass and some hats. if i turned it up to hear the full track with all the melodies, i'd probably wake the neighbours.

i agree with antic: it sounds as if played through a wall.

so yeah, your balance is way off on this one.

Ye, I hear ya. I posted the unmastered track above. The one I posted was an attempt of mine to master the track on my own.

If you want to take a listen to the unmastered version, that would be great; if not, I'll post the final version at some point once

I have the money to get it completed.

Thanks for taking a listen! Much appreciated :).

Here's the unmastered version:

https://soundcloud.com/allthingsflow/hypnotica-premaster

My headphones are quite old and the track is always sounding different to me each time I play it but that is what it is without

the mastering.

Not much difference, really. But if you use the same setup to produce and master, then it's no surprise.

Try different headphones, try your home stereo, try car speakers, etc. The mix needs to sound good on all of them.

And probably buy a new pair of headphones :)

• Like 2