New analog synth for goa recommendation

Hey guys, I've decided to sell my virus ti snow cause it's too digital and wimpy sounding. I want to replace it with one or more of the newer analog synths. Was wondering if you guys have any recommendation for stuff with a really good filter that would be good for the hardware goa sound (for example stuff like Celestial Intelligence)? I am thinking about maybe the MS20 mini or one of the new roland things like the forthcoming SE02. I also saw video of a guy making amazing goa on one of the Dreadbox units. I used to have a prophet 08, but all the dave smith stuff I have owned has had issues and broken so I refuse to buy his stuff anymore. Currently I'm mainly using the nord lead 2, minibrute (it's so meh though), virus rack, virus snow...then for VSTs: LuSH-101, Superwave Ultimate (kind of a JP8000 clone), Superwave Sirius (kind of a MS2000 clone), and Sylenth. So as you can see I really like the 90s VAs but I feel like goa needs a good analog filter. Any recommendations? No old/really expensive/bulky stuff plz

i might be repeating myself, but unless you want to go fully modular, u-he diva is one of the best ananlogue synths out there, even compared to hardware synths that work using an actual analogue signal ;)

ms20? check. jupiter 8? check. juno 60? check. minimoog? it sounds more like a minimoog than the minimoog itself. and i do love sending the minimoog oscillator through the jupiter 8 or ms20 filter with precise digital envelopes.

• Like 1

i might be repeating myself, but unless you want to go fully modular, u-he diva is one of the best ananlogue synths out there, even compared to hardware synths that work using an actual analogue signal ;)

ms20? check. jupiter 8? check. juno 60? check. minimoog? it sounds more like a minimoog than the minimoog itself. and i do love sending the minimoog oscillator through the jupiter 8 or ms20 filter with precise digital envelopes.

I've heard nothing but praise for Diva, but I have not personally used it. I've heard demos of it and it certainly does an incredible job doing 80s type sounds, but how does it do for goa and filter modulating stuff? I've yet to hear a VST come close to matching the character of a hardware analog synth filter. But maybe I'll download a demo and give it a shot.

All synths in this short example are Diva. Sorry for posting my own stuff again but this is seems to be the only goa-related demo of Diva existing online

If you've got Lush-101 you actually have the acid stuff covered. It is modelled after SH-101 which was as improtant for classic acid lines as TB-303. I think it has one of the most analogue-sounding filters among VSTs. Also you may look at Tal-Bassline-101 which is modelled after the same thing but sounds a bit different to Lush (people say more authentic). It surely does great acid.

• Like 2

All synths in this short example are Diva. Sorry for posting my own stuff again but this is seems to be the only goa-related demo of Diva existing online

If you've got Lush-101 you actually have the acid stuff covered. It is modelled after SH-101 which was as improtant for classic acid lines as TB-303. I think it has one of the most analogue-sounding filters among VSTs. Also you may look at Tal-Bassline-101 which is modelled after the same thing but sounds a bit different to Lush (people say more authentic). It surely does great acid.

Thanks for this!! Yeah it's so hard to find people using synths to make specifically psy/goa so this is really helpful. Are all the synths in that track from Diva? It sounds really good, some great classic sounds in there.

LuSH-101 is the most recent thing I've gotten so I haven't really gotten super into it yet, but so far it's really great for making goa style BP arps, and also pads

• Like 1

Are all the synths in that track from Diva?

yes, all the synths and also the farts, noises and other FX. Only the drums are not Diva. I made some sounds by tweaking factory presets and some from the init patch.

Here is one of the factory demos for Lush, it has extremely cheesy melody but shows the ability of the synth to go really wild at extreme filter settings and weird envelopes.

Add some distortion (the one built into Lush itself is pretty good) and you are good to go :)

• Like 1

@recursion loop

nice goa demo. are you moving more towards newschool goa with your music?

imho lush sounds much better than tal bassline. i guess it's the same as with phoscyon and abl. in each case the latter emulates more of the details correctly, while the former has that indescribable analogue feel giving it an overall fuller/cleaner/smoother — simply better — sound.

imho lush sounds much better than tal bassline. i guess it's the same as with phoscyon and abl. in each case the latter emulates more of the details correctly, while the former has that indescribable analogue feel giving it an overall fuller/cleaner/smoother — simply better — sound.

I have both Lush and Tal and use them both. Tal sounds somehow rougher and it has minimal feature set and a very srtaightforward gui, which makes it good for simple tasks like acid lines. Lush has more features, like layers, built-in effects etc, I mostly use it for various pads, leads, plucks and like that, i think it covers the sonic territory similar to Virus A or JP-80x0. Maybe if one already has Lush the Tal plugin is essentially redundant but I've bought the Tal one earlier.

@recursion loop

nice goa demo. are you moving more towards newschool goa with your music?

Idk, I have this short track which has never evloved into something longer and a one actually completed track in a style similar to AP/Artifact 303 (not saying it is anywhere near as good lol) - that's the only kind of goa I actually like. It was interesting to make but I'm not sure I actually want to leave my comfort zone, which is progressive psy. Somehow undecided as for now, the only thing I know is that i'm no more into full-on :)

• Like 1

so it's progressive instead of fullon now; going with the flow? ap/artifact303-style goa is always appreciated :). have you thought about combining the best parts of the proggy and goa? that's probably a pointless question, because listening to your soundcloud i already find some goa influence in most of your tracks :)

so it's progressive instead of fullon now; going with the flow? 

Sure, I want to became famous, money, drugs, girls, ferrari and shit  :D Actually now I just prefer slower, less intense and more atmospheric music, perhaps I'm getting old. By prog I mean something like early E-Clip, some Iono stuff and similar, not Spintwist.

have you thought about combining the best parts of the proggy and goa? that's probably a pointless question, because listening to your soundcloud i already find some goa influence in most of your tracks :)

Yeah. Not that I do this intentionally, I just prefer making melodic stuff and goa melodies typically fit psytrance grooves very well. 

Sure, I want to became famous, money, drugs, girls, ferrari and shit  :D Actually now I just prefer slower, less intense and more atmospheric music, perhaps I'm getting old. By prog I mean something like early E-Clip, some Iono stuff and similar, not Spintwist.

Yeah. Not that I do this intentionally, I just prefer making melodic stuff and goa melodies typically fit psytrance grooves very well. 

good luck with that! tell me when you buy your first ferrari, if it indeed works out i'll forget about goa trance completely and focus only on producing progressive ;)

i've heard about this "getting old" thing, but personally i refuse to believe in that. i have friends who now only listen to minimal techno/house or psychill instead of fullon, so it might actually exist, but maybe it just doesn't affect me ;)

iono/e-clip is the best kind of progressive. it seems that this style has replaced much of fullon at parties now.

even if it's not intentional, the result is an interesting fusion of genres. big melodic climaxes defninitely aren't what you'd normally expect in a proggy track.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd suggest any 2 oscillator (or more) synth that has all of these: FM or oscillator crossmod, filter FM, ring modulator, oscillator sync.

All these are invaluable in making interesting leads and other sounds.

I used a Studio Electronics Boomstar 4075 a lot fot some years and absolutely loved it, but recently sold it to finance some travelling. MFB Dominion desktop seems incredible value for money, and IIRC it has a patch memory! Modular stuff is great of course, but time consuming and incredibly expensive. I find I use my modular less than I would like, simply because it takes so much time to make sounds... Mainly I do this when I'm making final versions of tracks, for songwriting the process is too slow and I get lost in just playing with the thing and not getting things done... But pre-packed things could be good value for money, like for example a Moog Mother 32 combined with some other sub-600$ desktop synth with patch points. But building from individual modules I would actually not recommend to anybody unless you absolutely know what you want.

The new Studio Electronics/Roland collaboration things seems excellent, I'm very interested in that one.

If you have lots of money, the new Arturia Matrixbrute seems like a dream machine, I'm dreaming of owning one. But it's a major investment...

I think it's really good to have at least one good external synth which has a physical control for every parameter. I often first write the songs with VST sounds, and then recreate the sounds with external gear, this way even a few synths go far.

Software-wise, if you have a bit of time and a very fast computer, Reaktor is absolutely bollocks. It sounds better than most things I've heard, and there's so much prebuilt stuff that you don't need to touch the builder part at all if all you want is good sounds. Too bad the preset system is a bit cumbersome, because the projects need to have the sound making Reaktor modules available (they are not saved with the song), which can get lost between updates and computers,