6. A Brief History of Goa Trance Man With No Name

7. A Brief History of Goa Trance Oforia

8. A Brief History of Goa Trance Transwave

9. A Brief History of Goa Trance X-Dream

"I live for this moment here."

NUvqkNt.gif

I mean...

*sigh*

What in the actual f*ck is he doing?  I'm trying not to sound like a snobby purist, but how is this anything but sh*tting all over the artists he is said to admire?  Calling this a brief history is like comparing the entire works of Mozart to the latest Katy Perry album.  Talamasca is Cédric Dassulle and he left any and all of his goa credibility behind him long ago, let's just put that right out front.  At this point he's like my bloated orange president with the lies.  Remember his album Psychedelic Trance?  Me neither cause it was far from it.  I can best describe this effort as him taking parts of tracks from the artist he said had influence on him and "full-oning" it until any sense of soul and spirituality has been wrung out of it.  Loaded with cliches including cringe inducing triplets and a cornballing of original melodies.  It sounds exactly how you think it would.  I mean...how in the f*ck do you make the melody from Etnica's Trip Tonite sound like it's full-on cheese regurgitation?  How do you do that?  Simon Posford is rolling over in his grave for the callous way you neutered LSD.  Just because you insert the samples from the originals doesn't mean a connection is forged.  This is what Hollywood does to once proud franchises so congratulations.  This doesn't make me want to hear this album again.  It makes me want to hear the originals to see how it was correctly done.

You wanna honor those artists?  Either re-learn how to make goa trance or just stay the hell away from their music.

sFRlUPV.jpg

Psyshop

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Hmm, I have to disagree on that one. Regardless of whether it's good or bad (or plain $h!t) at least there is some rework of the tracks and not just recreating the same tracks with different gear/software. Something that Astral's Projection's and Morphic Resonance's recent tries did. 

oh comeon.

yes, the album contributes nothing new and original. yes, the album contains tracks that are all worse (not just a bit) than the originals. yes, talamasca has lost his taste and decency concerning music a long time ago.

but this album has many classic goa melodies, making it better than anything released by talamasca since his album made in trance (or arguably zodiac). additionally exactly the same reason makes it better than most other popular psytrance released nowadays. would you rather go to a party with talamasca, where you'll hear nice melodies you know and love in a fullon frame framework, or go to listen to cheesy crap in a fullon framework (electro sun, perplex, ...) or boring crap in a progressive framework (neelix, captain hook, vini vici, ...)? you still prefer talamasca? i thought so.

"Calling this a brief history is like comparing the entire works of Mozart to the latest Katy Perry album."

:-DDD

I like this part :D

Btw, Talamasca is LIVE in Finland this summer.

Good for those who''ll go see :P

oh comeon.

yes, the album contributes nothing new and original. yes, the album contains tracks that are all worse (not just a bit) than the originals. yes, talamasca has lost his taste and decency concerning music a long time ago.

Fin.

but this album has many classic goa melodies, making it better than anything released by talamasca since his album made in trance (or arguably zodiac).

Yes and he still managed to screw that up.  There is no need to set the bar so low especially for an artist who should know better.

would you rather go to a party with talamasca, where you'll hear nice melodies you know and love in a fullon frame framework, or go to listen to cheesy crap in a fullon framework (electro sun, perplex, ...) or boring crap in a progressive framework (neelix, captain hook, vini vici, ...)? you still prefer talamasca? i thought so.

I choose none of the above.  That's like asking me to choose between chlamydia or gonorrhea.  Either way it's going to be unpleasant.

• Like 3

This actually makes me want to listen to this now :D

Hey, it wasn't that bad. I try to listen to all music in vacuum, and not let previous experience colour it. I guess this could be fun at a festival or a party, and I guess that's exactly where this is made for.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to it and it brought back memories. The first reaction, though, was to listen to the original tracks. I have nothing against full-on psy, hell naw, I love it.. not like this, though.
The funny thing is, to this day two of my favourite goa tracks are by Talamasca himself, that's unlikely to change. Three guesses what they are, though. He was an entirely different man in the 90s.

The title for the release is EXTREMELY not fitting. Why? There is no goa in the release and yet the title leads the listener to believe they are in for some goa.

The idea is to give a short 8-ish minute seminar for each artist on some selection of the bigger names in goa history, including AP, Etnica, S. Posford and M. Freeland to name some. He packs parts of their popular tracks into those 8 minutes and full-ons them. It's tasteless.
There is no track-by-track analysis required. There is no original content.

I wouldn't recommend this album to anyone who wishes for a "brief history of goa trance".

• Like 1

I listened to it and it brought back memories. The first reaction, though, was to listen to the original tracks. I have nothing against full-on psy, hell naw, I love it.. not like this, though.

The funny thing is, to this day two of my favourite goa tracks are by Talamasca himself, that's unlikely to change. Three guesses what they are, though. He was an entirely different man in the 90s.

The title for the release is EXTREMELY not fitting. Why? There is no goa in the release and yet the title leads the listener to believe they are in for some goa.

The idea is to give a short 8-ish minute seminar for each artist on some selection of the bigger names in goa history, including AP, Etnica, S. Posford and M. Freeland to name some. He packs parts of their popular tracks into those 8 minutes and full-ons them. It's tasteless.

There is no track-by-track analysis required. There is no original content.

I wouldn't recommend this album to anyone who wishes for a "brief history of goa trance".

+1. Since I listen to psytrance this is the most commercial release I have ever heard. Totally pointless IMO.

1st minute of the album, you hear the intro of Mahadeva combined with People can fly, then you know right from the start you are entering circus territory.

Adding to that, many melodies have wrong notes. Just in the first few tracks:

-the AP medley has a melody that sounds wrong (forgot which one)

-Meteor from Electric universe has several wrong notes I think

-the melody of Tribute (Etnica) has several wrong notes as well

-Same thing for Shamanix

-Juno Reactor - Feel the universe has a wrong note (by the way this medley is a disaster even more than the others, I feel bad for Juno :( )

And I lost focus after that.

PS: I'll end my "review" with a positive, Talamasca managed to highlight one great melody from Own the World (MWNN) that sounded too quiet in the original. Thumbs up!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

All these attempts to try and squeeze out a pozitive out of a complete garbage release... It brings back memories because these are oldschool goa tracks that he butched. That isnt a good thing.

Hey, it wasn't that bad. I try to listen to all music in vacuum, and not let previous experience colour it. I guess this could be fun at a festival or a party, and I guess that's exactly where this is made for.

What an unambitious attitude towards music...
  • Like 1

I don't usually write negative critics these days (who reads it anyway & does it do a real difference? I ask to myself) but this release set a new record low for psytrance. I wouldn't nor couldn't imagine somebody 1) butchering such an amount of classics (and, I assume, releasing them with permission???) and 2) making old goa trance classics, which are meant to be listened as a whole, such an easy feast - junk food really. None of the tracks have any logic, he's squeezing too many climaxes in a single track. The whole release is the psytrance equivalent to modern society's sickness: come up with an easy fix for the short-attention-span people and the money is yours.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I got curious, against my better judgement, and yeah... WTF is right. Talamasca is technically competent, and the idea is sort of cheeky good fun, but the end result just sounds bizarre. I don't think classic Goa trance really works with the mash-up or megamix format. Side note: I was amused to hear Transwave's Land of Freedom in there, seeing as how that was a tribute to Man With No Name (who is also featured here. That would make it a meta-tribute, would it not?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok... here you go I wonder if negative comments are not allowed, or if really 90% of trance people dig this soooo much, but guess the real ones ignore it simply.

I found 2 tracks quite ok, the Oforia and Etnica one, this may be cause I did not listen to these much at all the last years, so also do not remember the originals. X-Dream, Juno, Hallucinogen are butchered so to speak. Also did this guy sample or took "the future ducks of london" to his heart, I had severall moments reminding me of this at least funny parody LOL :) So it has some funny moments.
Regardless I found this not as bad as what I wrote in my last "review" about.....?????.... it is 2 hours later and I have already forgotten the band / release name, which many ppl in the thread said is 9/10 etc. (Edit, my former review was abot "The Misted Puppets")

Haha wow this album seems to be some hilarious stuff, I don't listen to full-on but I might make an exception for this. :D Since it's classical goa tunes which we all love, that have been remixed. I'm mildly amused by the "heresy" ;) that seems to have been taken place here, classics should be left alone I think, unless there are some novel ideas to explore or expand upon. But yeah I think generally that's the issue, since the classics are classics for a reason, they are often difficult to surpass. 

The description/reviews reminds me of the old fake/parody full-on project someone from this forum created on myspace back in the day. Called Goa Baba or something similar. It was some hilariously lazy stuff :p my main suspect is obviously Pavel. Which featured all the common full-on tropes of the day, pure comedy gold.

I'm not sure but was it not Hallucinogen who introduced the idea of changing between time signatures within the tracks, in the psy/goa genre? If so it's quite the irony, that his classic work is butchered here in a genre wherein the changes of the time signature, has become a trope. We've come full circle so to say, if it was Hallucinogen who first pioneered the idea within psy-trance that is?