You'll Never Know - You'll Never Know EP [DATGOA001]

You'll Never Know - You'll Never Know EP

This Release is very special.

It is the story of the track that was the biggest hit in Goa during the season 1991/92.

How it ended up there, it's a fabulous tale.

Read it here...

The year is 1991 and the season in Goa is going to be a blast. All the DJs are exchanging tracks for the upcoming parties, but there is a track, THE track, that everyone wants to have and to play.

A hypnotic piece that is “You Never Know”.

Read the story from the Artist:

“There was a time when we suddenly appeared at the Goa scene with You Never Know, which was one of the first tracks we made after forming the band.

The track ended up in Goa, without any appearance from either me or my partner because at that time I knew a French guy in Denmark, Besugh, who was totally into the Goa scene at that time, constantly walking around with his DAT recorder, collecting tracks from all over as well as DJing around the Aarhus scene. Every year he went to Goa for the winter playing at venues; he had his second home down there.

I played the track for him once and he asked for a copy.

When I saw him the next time, after he had been in Goa for the winter, he was completely crazy, screaming that "You Never Know" that year was the biggest hit in Goa. I know that Frank from Koxbox mentioned it to me as well. Besugh was the "main man" that year at the beaches, since he was the one who had the only copy of the track.

Since you have been so determined for such a long time, to look up about who was behind it, me and my partner will allow you and DAT records to license the track. We are both happy that our track had, and obviously still has, an impact. It personally reminds me about the time when I was young and eager to contribute to the electronic music scene. This all happened a few years before we became famous musicians.

Thanks again for bringing this memory up.”

The track is mystical and there are people who have been looking for this tune for so many years on every techno and trance record they could find from, yet it eluded everyone because it has never been released before.

We are so proud to be able to offer this fantastic track that was lost on an almost unreadable CD-r, the sole surviving copy, together with three other bombs from the same demo, bringing back that original vibe, from the sunny beaches of Goa teleported directly to modern times, to preserve this music for eternity.

We are so grateful to have been given the rights to release this - it is a rare chance and we thank the producers profoundly and to help give this epic track the deserved glory and place in history that it deserves.

Play it loud and enjoy it!

Credits:

Mastered by Jaro Valo @ Analog Dimension

Executive Producer: Federico Draeke

Photography by: C. Willensen

Available Soon on vinyl (black/clear) and as digital download.

• Like 2

Love that you're doing this. I'm guessing that some legalistics prevent you from using the artist name? Not that it makes a difference.

When did DAT-trading in Goa become a thing, anyway? Was "You'll Never Know" the first DAT-only Goa hit, or were there contemporaneous or even earlier tracks that never saw the light of day?

I totally 'agree' with this (idea of a) release, (and that idea plays already for years in my mind) that more of this older goa trance  should be released.
Not only because it is good, but to 'educate' the scene  a bit more where the sound of the mid 90'sreally came from.

Could be good for newer members who start making  'goa'.

More to come as DATGOA releases if all goes according to plan, I also wish to release moro "proto goa" 1990-1994 together with goa 1995-2000.

• Like 2

@Blair it is the wish of the artists to remain anonymous and not be linked to any other project they may or may not have been doing.

But DAT copying-trading was in vogue in the late 80s already, djs and artists of the time could easily confirm, I am sure :)

And in Goa it was a thing very common, djs would not easily get new music if not by sharing/trading/copying...

More to come as DATGOA releases if all goes according to plan, I also wish to release moro "proto goa" 1990-1994 together with goa 1995-2000.

Will they be available on cds or they will follow the same pattern as this release (vinyl/digital only)?

vinyl and digital only , that is the idea for this series. However I plan to make a retro goa cd compilation on the line...

I forgot to mention it is available for ordering on datrecords.it and on discogs (however it's best the first option!) Bandcamp will eventually come at the end of the month, we are undecided on when releasing the digital version as we really want to push the vinyl first.

I forgot to mention it is available for ordering on datrecords.it and on discogs (however it's best the first option!) Bandcamp will eventually come at the end of the month, we are undecided on when releasing the digital version as we really want to push the vinyl first.

I don't see any way that these two are exclusive of each other.

Sorry I cannot understand this statement "I don't see any way that these two are exclusive of each other." ?? what do you mean?

Sorry I cannot understand this statement "I don't see any way that these two are exclusive of each other." ?? what do you mean?

i don't see how postponing the digital release will help with the vinyl sales. In my mind, ppl that want to buy the vinyl will do regardless. And ppl that buy digital wont buy (I think) the vinyl just because they cannot wait.

Although you, as a label manager, might have a different opinion according to your experiences obviously. :)

• Like 1

It is because this release is targeting , or aims to target, a different audience.

In the techno, acid and trance scene the vinyl is seen as the most important format and the fact it is given priority it is appreciated. Also, with the background story hopefully people will be tempted to hear the album and since the main track is a hit, should be a no brainer to buy it.

I was advised to not reveal anything about the release, nor the real tracklist or put any samples until the first two weeks have passed so that curious listeners will be tempted to buy to have it asap. It is a very different approach and I am trying it, just saying.

That said, who has heard the other tracks told me I selected good from the demo, only one track we had to skip as the cd-r was unreadable beyond repair and it was the sole existing copy of the track (the artists and I looked+asked around). But that said, the other 3 trunes are really great.

The EP has 5 tracks as one is an intermission that is less than two minutes long, so it doesn't really count as a full track.

I will eventually place some samples after a little while for sure though ;)

• Like 2

"Also, not everyone has a vinyl player"

.... not in the "goa scene" but "In the techno, acid and trance scene the vinyl is seen as the most important format"

Than you should buy one ;) haha!

Not expensive :) Especially if you want to dig into the true roots of goa and the early goa sound: vinyl is a must (imo). So much (not everything off course) in that time was rather or also on vinyl.

Than you should buy one ;) haha!

Not expensive :) Especially if you want to dig into the true roots of goa and the early goa sound: vinyl is a must (imo). So much (not everything off course) in that time was rather or also on vinyl.

I am actually thinking of buying one. For one so I can listen to my old LPs again and because a lot of the times on Discogs LPs are dead cheap and the cds are over 100£ or something. So better than nothing I guess :)

I give Draeke and Team DAT my full support with this.

Digital people will have the opportunity to buy it soon.

This has been a mystery for a long time and it'll be a great feeling to open up your mail, unpack the vinyl, and put the needle on.

This track predates mp3s by a very long measure. 

Releases should be fun.

=) 

Spot on KING! Exactly the philosophy of this one, to put the needle on and be waiting for the surprise :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you ask me, all DAT records releases should be on vinyl! ;)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_revival#/media/File:Global_Vinyl_Sales_Graph_In_US$.png Just sayin'! To those who thought vinyl was dying: we're back in business baby! Is it too much to ask to get the Virtuart CD on vinyl? I really would love that to happen. And remember, the actual material vinyl wont degrade for another 500years with decent care, so it's great for archiving. A CD will start to rot at some point or cause playing errors, probably after 30 years, even if you care for it well. Think of the next generation here, and choose vinyl! :P