ypaNFvT.jpg

Artist: K.O.B.

Title: Identity Mash

Label: Suntrip Records

Date: May, 2017

1. Check In

2. Folie a Deux

3. Klecks

4. Grandiose Thoughts (Original Version)

5. Inculcating Ideas (Filteria Mix)

6. Identity Mash

7. Cousin It (2017 Mix)

8. Check Out feat. BOTB

dSTP782.jpg

"I'm two people in one!"

It's important to know who you are.  It's the very foundation on which you build your character and what you go on to accomplish in life.  K.O.B. is Jannis Tzikas and the alternate personality if you will of his more widely known project Filteria.  While the latter is defined by melodies and is pure goa music through and through the former is a mash of styles relying heavily on the psychedelic aspect.    This album is more concerned with driving rhythms and allowing the music to evolve.  Sometimes building, sometimes deconstructing.  It's robotic (not meant in a negative way), futuristic, and oftentimes the sound choices can sound metallic and harsh.  But there is no mistaking who is behind this project as his goa soul shines through quite clearly.  And sometimes angrily (which I like).  The title and artwork accurately describe what is located within, a combination of forest and goa all tucked neatly under an umbrella of psychedelic psytrance.  While not my favorite release from the vaunted Suntrip Records it continues to prove that they are not all sunshine and rainbows and haven't forgotten that psytrance indeed needs to remain psychedelic.

Suntrip Bandcamp

Psyshop

Beatspace

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Probably, because the market is over-saturated.

I dont agree cause I think 2017 is pretty weak in the sheer number of goa releases

EDIT:

Fucking hell, this is the 3rd time Ive listened through it today. Heck, I love it through and through. 5/5

EDIT 2: Shit, I need to buy this!

• 1 month later...

This is a very good album! Why isnt this getting any attention? I like this one far better than any of the Filteria stuff

Good question... The sales and attention are extremely low compared to his Filteria alter ego... Which is a pitty, as this is extremely good music. 

The main reason: this is not your typical goa i guess? :P

Good question... The sales and attention are extremely low compared to his Filteria alter ego... Which is a pitty, as this is extremely good music. 

The main reason: this is not your typical goa i guess? :P

It is great music indeed and for me personally it fits my taste much better than Filteria (even I like the most stuff that Filteria released so far). In any case, I hope you will release more music in this style in the future! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I browsed this thread in June and was surprised to see so few reviews.

Identify Mash is the best Goa-influenced album I've heard in 2017 to date and the year is almost over!

The album is wildly creative and inventive, energetic, dark, complex and UNCONVENTIONAL, mechanically infectious and yet melodic -- the album starts off good and gets increasingly catchy.

Before this released (I missed the Promo thread) I was wondering when we'd get a new visionary work of art from Jannis considering four years had past since the last Filteria album... feels strange -- it doesn't feel like FOUR YEARS has passed since Lost in the Wild released in 2013. It's almost 2018. Time seems to be escaping us with each year that passes. 

As the album progresses, Jannis releases some powerful fireballs with nothing but strong numbers all around. Each track has so much distinct elements going on that each time I return to hearing Identity Mash, it feels somewhat new to me. It's certainly refreshing, even when compared to previous KOB songs. The artist has evolved Filteria and now he's evolved KOB, both in good ways I feel. It's just too bad that the album's been overlooked by the general Goa/Psy Trance community on here. I'm hoping more people become aware of it as the year(s) progress, and whether those years even feel like years when they do pass. 

9/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Probably Jannis' most mature output to date. While the first half of the album still 'suffers' from too much filteria, the second half more than makes up for it. Great sound design and drive! 

Best tracks are  Grandiose Thoughts (Original Version), Cousin It (2017 Mix) & Check Out.

Most of the album was solid, but there seemed to be a problem with randomness. For example a few songs were just way out there with the sounds. Check-in and Inculcating Ideas were absolutely over-produced, the random-meter exploded and I can't find them very enjoyable. Identity Mash is also very close to being too much. I think it's a good idea to step back a little for whatever comes next. Jannis is a great producer, but it can get a little overwhelming when you're just throwing cool things in there for the sake of cool things (that's how I felt anyway).

On the other hand Folie à Deux, Klecks, Grandiose Thoughts and Cousin It are stellar stellar tracks. Something I definitely expected and hoped for a KOB album. They're groovy, danceable and dark.  Klecks definitely taking the cake of being an insanely danceable track, it kind of has this crazy suomi-style going on. I  just wished this would have been a tad darker in general. Just check out older tracks like Wet Wet Wet, Multiple Disorder and Lost Belly Of Civilization and you'll know what I mean. Like IronSun mentioned, it might have been a bit too close to Filteria sound.

It's still a solid album and above average definitely, a few tracks do get quite a few plays. It's just not exactly what I was expecting when taking the older tracks into account. I'm still very much excited for the next output regardless of having some issues with this album.

• 7 months later...

Iam more the fanboy of melodic stuff. But also I like good sounddesign and interesting ideas.

"Identity Mash" sound modern and fresh, has a good work on details and has many power for the dancefloor. :)

My highlights are
- the glassy sound of the melody in "Folie a Deux" @5:41.
- the whole track "Inculcating Ideas (Filteria Remix)", because it is so melodic and euphoric. ^_^
- the slowdown-sound@ 0:37 and the climax in "Identy Mash"
- the intro and the beginning of "Cousin it (2017 Mix). It sounds like a comming swarm of some mysterious. And of course the climax with the hard acidsounds. :lol:

Result: 8/10  :)

• 4 months later...
On 11/6/2017 at 8:47 AM, Penzoline said:

Most of the album was solid, but there seemed to be a problem with randomness.

In the software development world, this is the bit where those who built the software say "that's not a bug, that's a feature" :)

I agree, it can be pretty out there.
I struggle to play this with other music when DJing - even mixed in key and at as-designed tempos, most tracks just stands out weirdly. I'd like to use them more to see people's reactions, but the 40-70 second mix period sounds slightly off no matter what I try.