Suntrip Records on Spotify.

HolyLight

I'm wondering if you people on Suntrip Records could somehow group all the Suntrip releases on a label page or something on Spotify? As it is now it's very difficult to find everything, and I keep stumbling on releases by mere accident. For example if you look at a compilation from Suntrip on Spotify like: Energy Waves, it says by various artists. It would be very nice if it said "By Suntrip Records" and a click on the label name would lead to the rest of the compilations/artist albums. Not sure if it's possible? :)

*edit* problem solved I guess :D just noticed that by searching for sun trip records you guys have made some huge playlists with what appears to be every release?

Is Suntrip getting any money from Spotify, though? Considering how many music there is, I'd expect Suntrip to - at best - get few cents per album / per listener, if that.

Why would anyone claiming to be supporting the label and its artist use Spotify to listen to their music? Unless they already bought the releases elsewhere, but prefer Spotify for convenience.

Is Suntrip getting any money from Spotify, though? Considering how many music there is, I'd expect Suntrip to - at best - get few cents per album / per listener, if that.

Our Spotify revenue is a joke. From my chair, I can hear the Spotify guys laughing at us all....

Our Spotify revenue is a joke. From my chair, I can hear the Spotify guys laughing at us all....

Yeah, that's what I thought :(

Guys, buy Suntrip's releases at their store or bandcamp, and listen on Spotify if that's what you like. Otherwise you don't support the label and artists.

Spotify is only revenue if you have hundreds of thousands of plays. Same with youtube. They're more of just promotional platforms really. I've found so much good music through spotify, though that doesn't stop me from supporting releases I enjoy.

Is Suntrip getting any money from Spotify, though? Considering how many music there is, I'd expect Suntrip to - at best - get few cents per album / per listener, if that.[/quote}

If they're on, they do. However, I'm guessing it's probably not much, but enough so they have a steady (but small) income from their catalogue.

Why would anyone claiming to be supporting the label and its artist use Spotify to listen to their music? Unless they already bought the releases elsewhere, but prefer Spotify for convenience.

Because they are right. They are supporting the label but not to the same extent as they would do on bandcamp. More and more I see electronic musicians recommending spotify to their fans in that it's apparently the best streaming platform when it comes to royalties to artists. Again, Bandcamp is, by far, the best way to support artists and fair trade music. I guess that's why many psytrance labels release their albums as timed exclusives on bandcamp. Once sales begins to decline (meaning when we, hardcore fans, have already paid the full price for the album), we usually see the albums ending up on major platforms. Why? Because it's the only way their releases can still be profitable on a "regular" basis. So yes, streamers still are supporting labels. Plus, as Penzoline pointed out, it's good visibility for the label.

Don't like their service? Just don't use it. People complain about being ripped off but they're first in line to bite the apple. I know the music industry (generally speaking) as it is today is unfair but unless labels stand up for what they believe in and stop feeding the beast, the situation will not get any better. Next step: ethical streaming services. We have a long way to go...

Don't like their service? Just don't use it. People complain about being ripped off but they're first in line to bite the apple. I know the whole streaming industry as it is today is unfair but unless labels stand up for what they believe in and stop feeding the beast, the situation will not get any better. Next step: ethical streaming services. We have a long way to go...

That's all great in theory, but Suntrip is no Taylor Swift - Spotify wouldn't even notice them vanishing from there. Their "fans" however, would. If people claim to be so conscious about social issues, environment, etc. they should spend some time understanding how and if their money support the artists.

That's all great in theory, but Suntrip is no Taylor Swift - Spotify wouldn't even notice them vanishing from there. Their "fans" however, would. If people claim to be so conscious about social issues, environment, etc. they should spend some time understanding how and if their money support the artists.

"a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

I guess what I'm saying is preach by exemple. If one wants change, first he must be that change. People won't cancel their subscription tomorrow noon because some indie label pulled off of spotify, we all know that. On the other hand, one can engage discussions (like this one) and sensitize people on the consequence of their actions. On the long term, THIS can make a difference. And I agree with you, people in general should be more aware as of where their money goes.

And I agree with you, people in general should be more aware as of where their money goes.

Yes, that's my only message. I don't want anyone - neither Suntrip or their fans - to leave Spotify, because indeed it's very convenient and likely a very good promotional tool. But you can't call yourself a serious supporter of the label and its artists if you only listen to their releases via Spotify, thinking that your monthly fee is an adequate compensation. It's just not.

BTW, anyone have a writeup of how Spotify's reimbursements for labels / artists are calculated?

Yes, that's my only message. I don't want anyone - neither Suntrip or their fans - to leave Spotify, because indeed it's very convenient and likely a very good promotional tool. But you can't call yourself a serious supporter of the label and its artists if you only listen to their releases via Spotify, thinking that your monthly fee is an adequate compensation. It's just not.

BTW, anyone have a writeup of how Spotify's reimbursements for labels / artists are calculated?

I hear you. I'm myself sick and tired of all the hassel related to digital downloads. Encoding/downloading/unzipping/adding to library/syncing/ PLUS dealing with limited storage space AND shitty softwares. Also, as much as I like bandcamp, their streaming app is simply awful. A solution would be to buy an album from bandcamp (you own the album and you significantly support the people involved) but actually listen to it via a streaming service for conviniency and extra support. However, you ultimately support an exploitative system and ethically, this choice is hard to defend. That being said, you still are supporting TWICE (digital download + streaming) so yeah, hard choices. Point is, if you make that kind of accomodation and decide to support the likes of spotify, you can't just shit all over it. You have to recognize its benifits even though it's far from perfect.

http://www.indigoboom.com/single-post/2016/06/28/What-Does-Spotify-Pay-Artists