most talented artist/band in the scene?

Celaripo

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, CalledByCthulhu said:

Sandman.

He made the Witchcraft album at the age of 19.

witchcraft is a genious album, but he really never went on to produce anything close, and as far as age goes
infected mushroom and gms for example were much younger.
for me has to be simon, maybe D5 and astral, saying that the later not done anything in a long time, while simon still produces, and after seeing shpongle at red rocks and how he was able to achieve something like that, def takes that award IMO of course

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Anoebis said:

Sandman is actually Out of Orbit, together with Eitan (Loud). Interesting music imo, definately not the typical psy trance :) 

What does "out of orbit" mean? Like his style is spaced out and crazy?

12 hours ago, Anoebis said:

Sandman is actually Out of Orbit, together with Eitan (Loud). Interesting music imo, definately not the typical psy trance :) 

Nevermind. You were referring to a new project he's involved with.

• Like 1

Infected Mushroom, lately a bit too much on the EDM-side for my personal preference. But their entire catalog has a rich variation of styles and themes, to make a custom selection from.

Very good at creating interesting and unexpected twists in their tracks. And plenty of memorable hooks and unique details. My dream would be that they someday make a super dark themed album, or at least somekind of parodical dark twist. Perhaps a collab with Talpa or something, maybe Röyksopp. :) 

A Classical Mushroom II is high on my wish list. Would really like to hear how they would interpret that style with their new studio tech/experience. And certainly the  vocal manipulation they now use/created far surpasses anything available in 1999. So that alone would make for some interesting results.

Hallucinogen is undeniable as well of course, also a lot of variety if one counts his many projects. But comparing just his Hallucinogen moniker’s output to the Infected one I’d say IM has a greater overall variety. Hallucinogen’s style however is still unsurpassed, I just wish he made more of it. 

I think this is very difficult as I see psy trance artists as producers of individual tracks that either resonate or not. So most artists I covet maybe 1-3 tracks of their entire discography.So hate to say it but it is a list... I am actually having a bit of a psy trance break from listening and producing. (playing guitar every day now and I am loving it)

This is the kind of thing that I love, it sounds like actual music which is a good start for me. It is beautiful, melancholic

and there is a story and nice progression. I miss beauty... we need more beauty/feelings, caring, that's my view I hope it can evolve that way. : ) I want to be touched and cry, and hold each other.

I generally tired of the KBBB + SFX sounds over the top personally, though there are exceptions like Aardvark, he is the master of that and it is great. I also like longer bass notes which you feel the pitch. Not the 4 kicks in a row styles of kbbb that is prevalent last few years, short notes, it creates a very dry almost ambiguous pitch sensation in the kbbb (moving even further from drone never mind pitched notes/music - yes one note can be music of course). I need the pitched pulse to feel groove myself. Anyway enough of my boring psy trance production preferences. Here are my faves....sometimes it is the hypnotic reason (kick and bass is the hypnosis for me - the trance) and sometimes the melody reason and sometimes the psychedelic "feel" / of the mind is the melodic moods/fantasy and also sensation of feeling otherworldly/ looking into depths/cloud forms/ expanse feeling.

Lunarave - Healing process,  Avalon - Teleport,  Mad tribe - Tuned in perfectly,  Egorhythmia - Black Hole,  Electric Universe - Mystical experiences,  Dickster - Caffeinator,  Orion  - Welcome to reality,  E-Mov - Melodiziac,  Sinerider - New Horizon, Sonic Wave Control - Crystal Rainbow,  Aardvark  - Cosmic Radiation,  Spirit Architect and DJAntrix- Full Moon (top levels kbbb for me actually in top 2 fave kbbbs, bass notes almost comes too early/overlap and falls over itself but stays in time... Juicy fat crunch in the kbbb, phase is a tad weird but it works.. it has the "thing" ambiguous on edge of human timing effect - kick exploding from speaker from compression - you get kick extended effect, durr durr durr, dugga dugga and taka taka kick and bass mids rhythm - that is spot on for me - listen when kick and bass comes in with your best headphones and feel the kick and bass sucking you down the slightly scary hole ! the kbbb is multidimensional I think that is a fair  thing to say - so... no... not all kick and basses are the same),  Tristan - Summer Solstice, Aardvark Hooked remix (that kick and bass is tight and evil the perfect solid low bubbling sound I like). Moksha Curri - Shiva Original mix, Human Blue - Sandalwood, Galactic Fire, Orion - Surreal expansions. I love some Astral the odd Etnica track, Cosma, Silicon Sound the old school heavy weights, some proto. Goa for me Polyphonca - Subface (that sounds Archetypal to me and is relatively unknown)

I like psy trance that turns a moment into eternity for a little while. looking at the sunset, the clouds, the mystery and wonder, highlighting depth and something bigger. We are not here so long, so these feeling maybe help join some universal dots together. That's love I think, it is what we are all seeking in the end, warmth and love and empathy... to look out for and be looked after.

Space Tribe into the 4th Dimension is it just me or does that kbbb have the strongest drive in any psy trance track ever made ? Sounds "sample tight" to me. I love helicopter style kick and bass. Has the 3 kick and syncopated bass patterns all in one that I like. (that distinguish good and not so good kbbb for me)

Proto, old or new, it's either got it or not. So the best artists/tracks/talent are those you personally covet. Savour that don't let anyone take it away or tell you different. No right or wrongs let's just try and understand why these different tracks from far and wide artists make us feel good and respect that journey each individual can personally enjoy.

It's the "lock in" isn't it ? That click that draws you into a track, not every track has it. Far from it in fact. When it resonates with you, it's on loop for 1 hour and you are not tired of it, you get energy instead and want more and more...that's trance !

So no one artist is the best that is a fools errand IMO. There are just best tracks from many artists and that is quite personal.

• 1 month later...

It's very hard to pick only one and it's always going to be difficult to quantify talent and weigh that above favouritism - the appreciation of music is always fairly subjective (which makes it weird that within a genre there's often so much agreement on who's best).

Back in the day I'd have said Posford without question. Hallucinogen was pretty much my introduction to psytrance (I know some classify it as Goa trance. Really his work almost made its own genre).

More recently I too have been highly impressed with the works of Christer Borge-Lunde (RA, Dimension 5, etc.) and he just seems to get better and better. Shift from Unearthly is now one of my all-time favorite tracks - exquisitely layered with an amazing memorable melody and barking 303 notes.

For the most talented recent artist I have to mention Rita Raga. She's also hugely underrated. Her Mystic Melodies album is a lovely mixture of mellow downtempo and intense fullon remixes. She sings beautifully on her tracks often with deeply inspiring lyrics and she plays multiple instruments as well.