Best of psychedelic ambient

Guest Xeruf

hey all, I ahve an inportant psy chill set coming up soon, and i am in need of some new tunes for it

can any of you suggest some good psy chill albums to get?

Guest Towelie

hmm i dont understand whats the hassle about the shulman.. i think its nothing but clishees and shpongle copying .... this is my opinion only ofcourse

Guest Mike D

Greab most the albums from Ultimae records, Dakini Records (and the compilations) and Interchill records... oh and chuck in the Chillosophy compilations from DigitalStrcutures... Shulman does make great music, but is the only psy ambient artitst whose album gives me a splitting headache listening to ti in 1 go... a must have is the 2 cd version of Ishq - "Orchid"

I must say, after listening to Shulman a lot more, that he is quite good...not so much a Shpongle rip off as he appears to be at first...still not quite as good I'd say but still worth your time I think...

i can hardly see any connection between shulman and shpongle.

while the first is very deep and truly psychedelic the latter is "psychedelic" pop music for kids (im talking about the second shpongle, the first is infact an excellent CD), and its full of rip offs of almost every musician that ever existed! (and im not talking inspiration here...) and complete sample cds dumped inside as is.

but then again nothing much to expect from a scene that worships lame ass "musicians" like skazi and his army of moronic clones, hehehehe.

lets discuss this again in couple of years.... see how every one changes when they grow up, and what kind of music they start to appreciate once they passed the phaze of enjoying the same arrpegiated synth lines for the 100034000434 time, and start looking for some truly original and inspiring music. which takes you to places

all the above is my private opinion only!! so no flaming please :)

Guest grahf

shulman and shpongle are both good! there is room enough in my cd binder for both.

back to the subject at hand...

both mystery of the yeti compilations are amazing.

so is infinity project - mystical experiences.

future sound of london - lifeforms

global communication - 76:41

spacetime continuum - sea biscuit

Guest Towelie

i mean also other simon postfords music.. just listen the track Nomads of dub - Spirals.. shulman is not the worst artist but after listening few mins it all sounds like big clishee.. in my ears

Jairamji - kindred spirits is one of my favs

and wait for the hi-fi companions album

Guest grahf

it's very interesting... for me, entheogenic has become more and more shallow and formulaic as i have listened more carefully, whereas shulman offers new delights everytime and is gaining serious sentimental value to me.

to each his own i guess.

oh, i must mention Banco de Gaia as well. and The Orb.

Guest Towelie

i liked the second shpongle but theres just so many samples so it kills it.. and they are not even mentioned in the cd covers.. like the intro of around the world in tea daze

Guest bazooko

my favorite chill out track atm is "asura - le vol d'icare"

i can see the sun rise when i hear this song:>

also have to second that "the orb" recommendation, some trippy stuff

Guest acid enema

In my opiion if you have to ask this question you have no place playing in a chill out room and taking the place of someone who really cares about the chilled side of psychedelic music.

• 6 months later...

Steve Roach & Vir Unis - Blood Machine

Vir Unis - Pulse N Atmo

Vir Unis & Saul Stokes - Thermal Transfer

These futuristic, highly rhythmic ambient albums blow away everything mentioned in this thread. Well, at least Blood Machine, which might be the best electronic album ever... to my taste anyway. Definately has a psychedelic touch. Might appeal to psy fans.

Listen with headphones and lose your head. Awesome soundscapes. Awesome, original electronic rhythms. AMAZING production quality.

this is just my opinion of course, and it is honest

These futuristic, highly rhythmic ambient albums blow away everything mentioned in this thread. Well, at least Blood Machine, which might be the best electronic album ever... to my taste anyway. Definately has a psychedelic touch. Might appeal to psy fans.

202092[/snapback]

Agreed - I just mentioned this in another thread. I think "Blood Machine" and Steve's solo effort "Core" are absolutely outstanding. In terms of depth, musicianship and sheer quality they make anything from the psy-ambient camp seem clumsy, cliché and amateuristic.

Now I *do* enjoy a fair bit of psy-ambient though, but Steve Roach is probably my second favourite artist of all time and even someone as undoubtedly talanted as Simon Posford cannot make music that gets me as much as mr Roach.

But to each his own...

The thing with a lot of ambient related to the psy scene is, that it tries too hard to be something ... it is like a 'forced' mix of too much different sounds, melodies, samples and effects and all kinds of meaningless details... but in the end, if you can see (or better: hear) through it, there's actually little musical substance.

While the music by Roach mentioned, is like one smooth, organic, evolving flow of... greatness :D

The repetitive, slowly evolving nature of the music let's you completely drift away. It only uses original sounds that actually fit together, created by the artists themselves.

The thing with a lot of ambient related to the psy scene is, that it tries too hard to be something ... it is like a 'forced' mix of too much different sounds, melodies, samples and effects and all kinds of meaningless details... but in the end, if you can see (or better: hear) through it, there's actually little musical substance.

While the music by Roach mentioned, is like one smooth, organic, evolving flow of... greatness :D

The repetitive, slowly evolving nature of the music let's you completely drift away. It only uses original sounds that actually fit together, created by the artists themselves.

202190[/snapback]

I just bought a Steve Roach Album ( Mantram) and was a bit dissapointed.

It is nice, but not psychedelic at all, though relaxing.

But I largely prefer Entheogenic and Sphongle.

Maybe I just got the wrong album.

sorry but tyhe second etheogenic cd was waaaay tooo much like that horrible cheesy shite released by Deep forrest.....bad, bad bad! Georgian monks chanting :lol::lol::lol:

Whos taking the piss about Shulman not sounding like Sphongle....

202534[/snapback]

That album is probably very different from the one I mentioned

I don't like his slow tribal stuff and I also don't like too much of his beatless soundscape-only music.

202534[/snapback]

Yeah even I skipped Mantram, and I have 13 steve roach releases... Steve has a very disctinct sound, but he uses it very differently from release to release. Try "Core" or "Blood Machine" mentioned earlier in this thread and you're in for much more of a journey.

• 2 weeks later...

apart from what hasnt been mentioned above

DubTrees - dubchill

OTT - dub/chill

Kaya Project - isnt too bad

Saafi Brothers

Shulman - Elements -one of the most brilliant tracks I have EVER heard, especially the ending!

203633[/snapback]

Yeah Saafi Brothers ROCK! Saw them live only once, but I must say that they really really know how to play LIVE :)