Morphic Resonance - Trip To The Stars EP [DAT Records]

are you kidding? are we talking about a mozart symphony or pleiadians? only a few people in the world can re compose the maia track melody? exaggerating much?

OK, please stop wasting my time with such arguments, it is obvious for any sensual being that:

either you (in general) are prejudiced,

either you have no idea about what are you talking about,

either you do NOT read what i am writing (or reading with a very narrow perspective),

either (some of you) are a kind of "nonsense arguing mafia" (as a matter of speech),

either (somehow) you have a personal problem with me (?) or Dat records releases!

I was talking about the FULL COMPLEXITY of a Pleiadians album remake, NOT about Maia's melody!

This should be obvious for anyone who read carefully (and not epidermic). And, no i am not kidding at all!

In fact, i challenge ANY of you with music knowledge to present us a Maia remix! Can you???

P.S. - In any way, the point is that every time i come in this forum to comment (full of good will) and give a different and more "inner" insight, i get disturbed and annoyed and i only meet denial. I am used to speak with more open minded, kind and civilized people, so i will not waste more time to answer to unknown people with closed profiles and no info at all about who they are and what is the true level of their knowledge. :P

I will only deal with people who i feel they are honest.

• Like 1

I was talking about the FULL COMPLEXITY of a Pleiadians album remake, NOT about Maia's melody!

then you missed the point. it was about the oriental melodies making the impression of being badly/inaccurately copied. this apparently makes some of us sceptical about the rest of the album. it's not being sceptic if they can make a whole pleiadians remix album (this is obviously the case as we're discussing it right now). but some people (including me) think that you shouldn't do a remix if you cannot get the original melodies right (of course you might intentionally change melodies when remixing which is fine, but unless we got official word from the artist we have to judge ourselves if that's the case if they don't match), so we question if the album is up to that standards.

Before start reading, look at this as possitive feedback which is a reason im writing :)

Artist did outstanding job reworking some melodies by ear (not all ofc), it's not easy but i have to agree with:

but some people (including me) think that you shouldn't do a remix if you cannot get the original melodies right 

Even if I don't follow Goa trance for many years I am always checking samples to see if something will catch me and gave couple of listens...

We all know how hard is to remix Goa trance classics and how easily you could get hated by crowd if it's not up by their taste, so you need to be brave, especialy when you remix such tracks from Etnica or Pleiadians. So he is brave, he is artistic, he is trying to be different (but not unique i would say) so this is a plus. I know many people are looking for something different. Even not my taste i dig that but... and now there is big BUT coming...

Production? Where is the production? 

Been listening and suddenly noise come in and eat all percusions, hats gone, then some melody strike and eat whole mix and so on. It sounds to me like mixdown is done in rush, you know like when you are making structure and just putting them on channel without eq, compressing or automate things and i can't imagine how harsh and dangerous it can sound on huge sound systems... and this is biggest problem here, not some notes missing here or there. I am not sure why but artist is not new, he got some 'internship' in scene and music. 

I never said the originals sounded old! Quite the contrary, actually - it's incredible what they've achieved and some sounds are more futuristic than what we have today. 

True that. Original sound much more modern than this release. That's strange.

So artisticly i would say it's 85% done, outstanding but production... i can't really say if it is 20-25% 'done'. If you ask me, artist should work months and months per track, just mixing and practicing.

Conclusion: it's good release if you are looking something different, but not if you are looking for modern sharp and groovy sound. I still love what Federico and DAT are doing and they will have my support even if it is 'not positive' (ps cant wait to meet you in following months!)

I just hope that Morphic Resonance or label will take all these replies as positive and constructive feedback from some of experienced people and musicians rather than as hate, or discouragement. Yet it's an art, not perfection. But here in community many people, many opinions but if you know to read between the lines... they can help you to advance in many ways  ^_^

Enjoy :)

• Like 1

I find with the psytrance that I enjoy, it grabs me immediately. There is something about where I just get picked up by the groove and no matter what my mood, it will take me along for a ride.

Other albums, I might have to give multiple listens to try and find what there is to appreciate about it. These albums don't often reach the level of the albums that are effortlessly enjoyable.

For me, this album is more the latter.

As a fan of the Pleiadians, I was looking forward to hearing a modern take but I now realize this sound of the Pleiadians is a zeitgeist of the 90s, forged with a particular suitable technology and a vital precursor to the way Goa has evolved.

Therefore, the concept of the album is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. It might be more of an exercise in technical proficiency than an expression of art.

Taken from that perspective, it's fun to compare the originals with the remixes side by side, section by section.

When I do this, I can appreciate better what Morphic Resonance has attempted, but I also prefer the originals much more. The originals are warm, powerful but smooth, the remixes are cold, aggressive and raw.

There are a few sparks of interesting effects in these remixes. The modernization gives it a speedier, heavymetal-esque kind of touch and it might appeal to fans of Morphic Resonance's last album City of Moons, which was really well received on this site. Unfortunately, I wasn't into it as much.

All in all, the challenge undertaken to create Trip to the Stars was massive and I have to respect that. It is a difficult proposition to win. Simply recreating the originals would just make people want to go and listen to the originals, while altering the core of the tracks too much might turn off people who enjoyed the originals. Morphic Resonance found a healthy balance between the two.

Been listening and suddenly noise come in and eat all percusions, hats gone, then some melody strike and eat whole mix and so on. It sounds to me like mixdown is done in rush, you know like when you are making structure and just putting them on channel without eq, compressing or automate things and i can't imagine how harsh and dangerous it can sound on huge sound systems... and this is biggest problem here, not some notes missing here or there. I am not sure why but artist is not new, he got some 'internship' in scene and music.

Were you listening on headphones or speakers? Listening on headphones the tracks gave me a sense of what you're describing. From my non-producer ears, there isn't much width or layering. It all feels kind of clustered together. It seems to breathe better on speakers though. Tweaking equalizers (moreso than normal) on my end is a must to bring out this album finer points.

BTW.. First Encounter is awesome!

• Like 1

Bom Shankar!

Cristian did this work as he felt it...

One can talk a lot about this...but my opinion is that Cristian created an excellent compilation.

These remixes are the same as the original stuff, but at the same time have Cristian's signature handwriting.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this magic. We are all disciples of Shiva!

I do respect every opinion and point of view, however I think you should see how powerful the music is on the dancefloor. For me the production is perfect, i don't hear these clashing sounds nor other artfacts described, and if anything I love the fact it was made with the machines, synths and real hardware as opposed to sounding so perfectly plastic as when the music is solely computer production, such as so many releases in the goa trance scene made now. The best part is that it actually sounds like it did back in the days but better, raw and powerful, and many people commented me they love it and that it feels more real and authentic.

To each his own view of course but listen for yourself and let me know. The release can be heard on bandcamp and youtube as well now :) Hopefully will be a try before you buy!

• Like 4

I do respect every opinion and point of view, however I think you should see how powerful the music is on the dancefloor. 

As much as I can see this being the case, please consider that majority of today's party-goers have not heard the originals nor do they know who Pleiadians/Etnica are... Compared to most of shit being played today this is a godsend. Compared to the original, not so much :)

And yes, I'm aware I'm a grumpy old man and I don't know how to have fun. That's my right, though ;):P

• Like 1

That actually made me realise, that when I'm talking about "production" I don't necessarily mean what is understood today by that term. Because - for the large part - I don't care for music sounding crystal clear or being punchy, as long as it sounds OK. What counts more for me is the imagination in sound design and its diversity, inventiveness in layering the different sounds in respect to each other, creativeness in building and sequencing unique musical and rhythmic patterns. In this sense yes, the bigger problem is "some notes missing here & there" than the sound being slightly muddy on a big sound-system. But then for me psychedelic trance was always "music" first, "dance" second, i.e. form over function, so obviously that's very personal.

• Like 1

You know this sort of discussion was inevitable. I really think many of the differing opinions are great. I am undecided on the release. Some remixes fail while others succeed to some extent. In general I find it lacking those emptier moments.

"The modernization gives it a speedier, heavymetal-esque kind of touch "

Spot on.

I think that all the complainants are just out of the dancefloor, I always imagine myself dancing while listening any kind of music especially music like this. But noone have to be a party monster to say this album is great. This album is Just WOW as it is! I think it's the first time when I really can feel a real produced new goa sound by machines and not just by programs.

The people who discover retro goa and then new goa sound will love it. progress progress and again progress. and a matter of taste. If any album deserve to be remixed like this , this is the album!

Thanks Dat records!

Compared to most of shit being played today this is a godsend. Compared to the original, not so much :)

Same for me,album has it`s moments,but never forget what he tries to copy/remix,these are the sanctuaries of Goa Trance!

For about 20 years I`m listening to everything the Etnica Clique has produced between 94-97 on a monthly basis and their magical genius thrills me again and again.

It`s like trying to film a new version of Coppola`s "The Godfather",you cannot win...

Despite the somehow negative reviews and my initial reluctance (based on a sample), I gave it several listens and was blown away. Seriously I don't remember being hammered that hard by a Goa album. Generally speaking, I discard any digital albums above 10 euros but now even at 13, I decided to go for it. Hats off to the DAT guys; fantastic release!

• Like 1

I am about to send the bandcamp codes to who's asked, sorry for the delay but after i came back from Belgium I had a fever and was struck in bed until today, so I worked only on the most important things

I know 3 people asked for them, if others mentioned them now's the time to send me an email (not a private message here or a comment here on the thread). Thanks and Cheers

First of all, nice selection of original titles and nice cover! I consider Etnica/pleiadians/crop circles (especially pleiadians) probably the most mindblowing project of the genre! The energy they transmit to the listener is out of this world! And most of these tracks are surely some of their best work.

It is self-evident that, when you try to remix aural musical pieces that are considered the pinnacle of the genre, it means that it's gonna be haaaaard work!

Morphic resonance put lots of effort, the listener can definitely comprehend that. Melodies, bass, fx, percussion, sequences, are definitely solidly made!

However, all of the original titles sound better to me (different species remix almost matches the original)! I know that sometimes the original title that you love, has a certain appeal in any of the future comparisons that can be made and one may be a bit partial, but i am truly being as much objective as i can! The 4 intergalactic space horsemen have managed to put so much essence and feeling in their tracks, so much tech wizardry, so much complexity, and so much whatever fucking this is,  :D , that no remix will ever surpass the original. And i totally mean it! (of course a remix is not fundamentally made to surpass the original title, but from the listener's point of view it surely can happen)

All in all, it is a really nice and well made album, a perfect effort to reapproach the masterpieces from another artist's point of view, and i guess this is what the artist wanted. Well done in that! This is another proof that Christian has much potential  :) My respect also to DAT records!

But the most important conclusion after this release, is that, even after 20 whole years, the original titles not only don't sound outdated, but they seem to shine thoroughly and proudly to eternity!!!! :rolleyes:  :wub:

• Like 2

Ive listened a couple of times and IMO every track is inferior to the original in every single way except mastering and production. I dont think that the statement from Pleiadians/Etnica saying that this is what their music should've sounded like 20 years ago is true. This clearly has Morphic Resonance's style written all over it!

This is MP's interpretation of their music and nothing else. Even though he has his own style, I dont think this has enough originality (or anything else for that matter) to get me to listen to his remixes over the originals. Its not bad but it is as I expected it to be: Not good enough.

Ps: He butchered the climaxes in one of my favorite tracks Maia. Its so god damn sloppy

• Like 2

Very curious about this one, will it be available on spotify? When I check on Morphic Resonance there, it is not available.