Best produced psytrance album?

Novoice

And techncially neither of them is psytrance

:D

You could actually be fooled both are written by the same person. As much as I love Prose Edda, it's a blatant rip-off of early Younger Brother & Shpongle music. At times it's even better musically and technically they're brilliant, but - as mentioned - it's mastered way too aggressively which makes it sound very loud even if played quietly.

When it comes to best stereo effects and trippy production I have to mention Pepe Kosminen... and No Possible Soundz (vol. 1). although it is not a album in a technical sense, all tracks features Pepe (in different constellations)... And he has made so many amazing tracks! I am not talking about "clean" production but psychedelic production, although some stuff might also be considered clean (!?) :P All layers come to life and have the full space they need to be fully appreciated, which in book is a hallmark for a good producer... and Pepe is one of the best if you ask me :)

:)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The new modern style of producing/mixing is to make the kick very punchy/compressed. It's a tad too much for my taste although the 'big crowd' is into it I suppose. I wouldn't say the modern approach is by any means what I consider the best. I'd go for something a bit more open, dynamic and perhaps quiet.

What I myself like a lot is the Swedish wave of early y2k (Atmos, Logic Bomb, Noma) that were mastered at Tom Puss Point Studios. Perfect Sound! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tsotsi said:

Are we allowing Tsotsi to call Merkaba Psytrance? If you would all be so kind I would say Earth to Sky is pretty much at the top of the list. 

Otherwise I'll cede the spot to Loud or Infected Mushroom. 

Merkaba is exactly. The name of the album has slipped my mind but the low frequency manipulation is unique amongst everything in the genre. Good call

7 hours ago, CalledByCthulhu said:

Merkaba is exactly. The name of the album has slipped my mind but the low frequency manipulation is unique amongst everything in the genre. Good call

His album titles don't stick to my mind but the tracks do, Deep Waters is my favourite. A search tells me its from 'As Earth to Sky'

• Like 1

• 2 years later...