3. Seclusion
4. Fate
5. Orientelic Genetic
6. Serenity
7. Respiratory
8. Reformation
9. Far Away

xpK6tt3.gif

About a year after his last album Presence, this limited edition partially mixed CD is the second installment of the Mindsphere Trilogy.  Of course you can also buy the digital version which is unmixed. Joske described it as "Drony, sometimes warm, sometimes cold, floating and here and there exotic!"  And I would say that is a very apt description.  Mindsphere is Ali Akgun and he is one of the premier names in today's goa trance scene.

Solitude is a deep space ambient track that seems to have some Jean Michel Jarre influences.  Dark and cold.

Circle Sphere continues the futuristic and electronic cold of deep space.  There is more motion with the inclusion of multiple melodies amidst a digital wash.  Louder with more gravitas and drama yet still without a kick to be heard.

Seclusion has an ominous air and the first hint of percussion, perhaps the booming of the sound barrier as the space craft leaves the atmosphere.  The melodies are melancholy and bring to mind an astronaut on a solo mission thousands of miles away from home.  And here is where I detect some Vangelis influence.

Fate is a purely drifting vehicle.  Ambient bliss that increases in intensity, but never loses that floaty feeling.

Orientelic Genetic sounds like a word salad, but it's when his goa begins to shine through.  It's also the first real, perceptible "beat."  The flute is mysterious and the entire track resembles some Khetzal production.  Downtempo goa trance that becomes quite busy.

Serenity is just that, tumbling melodies and soft, gentle sounds that are well suited for catching a nap.  Much like I did when listening to Tangerine Dream back in the day.

Respiratory is another downtempo track that has a soundtrack feel to it.  It's grand and many layered.  Maybe a movie about a war where people pilot Mech Warriors.  There is a tinge of regret here.  The weird thing is the "supposed" ending where the music stops and then a new strain appears.  Perhaps that transition could've been smoother.

Reformation is probably my least favorite track on the album.  It doesn't fit with the style of the rest of the album and feels like a mish mosh of sounds above an oscillating sine wave.

Far Away fittingly ends on a beatless note.  Unfortunately the track doesn't have the same verve and depth that a lot of the others had.  It just kind of...is.  It's gentle yet doesn't tell any story.  At the 6 minute mark it leaves the flighty style and changes completely, resembling the atmosphere of most of the album.  And without any subtlety. 

This is such a relaxing experience.  I literally felt my blood pressure dropping as I prepared for hypersleep.  A large portion is beatless ambient and I can see why Suntrip went with a limited edition for this release.  It's not everyone's cup of tea, but like others have said it's very lush and floaty.  Dude clearly has talent.  However I felt the album failed to maintain its theme near the end and the quality and mood suffered because of it.  While I found it enjoyable I would recommend people to give it a good listen to find out if this is what they're looking for.   

Suntrip Bandcamp

Suntrip Shop

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After I listen a lot of Stevie-Be-Zets 'Archaic Modulations', Mindspheres 'Mindream' is the right Album. Its my Cup of tea. Beatless Ambientis one of my favorite genres. :-)