Hospitals

johnb820

So for reasons that I am not even fully aware of just yet, I was recently in a hospital and they decided they needed to do some blood tests. Well, I have a VERY bad phobia of needles. My blood pressure drops like a rock to dangerously low levels.

As soon as they did it, you know, and they pretend to talk to you about other things to distract you from the reality that they stuck a foreign metallic object into your blood vein, I could feel the dizziness set in. This time though, it got really really bad. My vision was going, my arms were vibrating, and I was in a pool of my own sweat. Can't say I didn't warn them.

The interesting part of my story though was that my vision, which was getting very dodgy, started to take on the patterns of the artwork to Filteria's Heliopolis.

SUNCD04_medium.jpg

Magentas and Cyans were in symmetric patterns all around my field of vision. No little brains floating around, but it was very bizarre. I don't know what that says about me, but I figured since only you all could really relate I would share with you.

• Like 1

This all triggered by the fear of needles? I know fear, but this I have not heard of.

I have to assume it's just fear. The symptoms are really that of a panic attack and the resulting extremely low blood pressure. It surprised the nurses when they were not able to get a blood pressure reading for a good 15-20 minutes, possibly because of how low it was. If you are not getting enough oxygen to those vital parts of the body all sorts of normal bodily functions can start failing, including vision.

Nothing strange there mate, I also don't like needles and I guess many people don't feel comfortable in thoose situations. Panic attacks and fear it self might do a lot of harm, but try to focus on some positive things in thoose situations. For example you had a vision of something that you (obviously) like and your own subconsciousness gave you some sort of hint and help, no matter the colors. Chemical process in our body sometimes speaks in different language and you might think that colors such as red or magenta are related to the blood, but I believe your own body gave you a signal to the sound that you enjoy (and I believe that sound it self got much more power than visuals). I'm just thinking out loud, but I hope you get the point. Get better!

• Like 1

All you had was a VasoVagal Syncope. I've seen  many and it's pretty common in daily clinical practice and is usually self limiting. It happens due to a triggering event in this case - needles. The vagus nerve goes wonky and slows down your heart and causes fall in blood pressure that leads to less blood supply to the brain leading to fainting. The heliopolis cover art would've happened seconds before you passed out. I've heard some patients describe other colours, but it's usually fractal/kaleidoscopic in nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_syncope

For more info

• Like 1

Richpa, I liked that post. :)

Interesting find Themaniac. Mind you, I started to feel this while in a lying position, though to be fair it was a typical hospital bed on a slight incline so I wasn't fully flat. I should probably tell them to lay me down fully flat the next time I need an immunization or they draw blood.

• Like 1