The cheesy full-on thread

recursion loop

On 6/9/2018 at 2:11 AM, Padmapani said:

but the singing definitely crosses the line.

For me it doesn't, I typically don't like any singing in psytrance but this track is great. The singing is weird and beautiful at the same time (this is what I'm actually looking for in psytrance - weird and beautiful).

36 minutes ago, Paul Eye said:

On a side note, it's kinda funny how basically all psytrance with Michele Adamson singing is crap, and all downtempo with her singing is great :DD (with perhaps a few exceptions)

Agree. This one is simply beautiful for instance, and the singing is actually very good. I even used this track as a ringtone for my wife calls for a while :) 

But most uptempo tracks where she tried to sing were completely ruined by these attempts, regardless whether one finds female vocals in psytrance acceptable or not she just sings wrong notes. This track may be the only exception, maybe because she is speaking rather than singing here. 

Youtube suggested another track called Kitchy Woman but I won't even post it here because the singing is just horrible like she is drunk or something. Hard to believe it's the same person who sings Blink.

On 6/16/2018 at 4:16 AM, Padmapani said:

i do miss the times when they played fullon like this the whole night long.

Yeah, me too. Few hours of good melodic fullon and a closing set of quality progressive like FreQ, Andromeda, Vibrasphere, early E-Clip would be my perfect party.

Thanks, I'm glad you think the track is good. :)

• Like 1

"When sounds/effects are placed too simple, imo. It's cheesy" be it dark, goa, progressive or whatever

Some cheese makes me feel good, some make me feel ill. If you can say it's cheesy with a delightfull smile, it's not so bad.

About cheese, i have to mention here that when someone calls something cheesy in a trance track, it can -also- point to how/where the sounds are placed inside or on the track. It's structure. Taste often being lusting for advancements and depth like complex/amazing layering. Like wine. I'm not a producer my self, but a listener for sure. And outside tobacco / shit, I'm not a substance abuser.

The Recursion Loop 2017 EP that I reviewed - which I called out as cheesy. I did so mostly because the tracks' structurer has this boarderlining thing going on where on one side it has space but on the other side it lacks depth. so It's nice but not really amazing or by my definition, 'psychedelic' as it (imo) comes off as too simply put or not deep enough. But nice. Overall the EP's placements of effects most often just comes at me as a bit "off", or "too right" or just normal may be the better word. Feeling that it doesnt really reflect a psychedelic experience. Like a painting, it misses the advanced weirdness, but has nice elements and some things to look deeper at which is nice for a spectator, and seems more about being scifi trance like then "psy", but then again, it boarderlines landing on holding it's own ground .  I find this simple opinion for some reason very difficult to express by elaborated written words, so forgive my brute way of explaining my opinion here.

We all can agree that this is cheesy. But then again it is not a claimer to be, or be of Psytrance

So it goes to show, R.L makes Psy-Trance music.

I to this day find it interesting how diffecult it can be to make great or stellar melodies that do not become wrongly cheesy.. i.e. with russian psytrance from the older days. Or newer more technically advanced psytrance. It's so simple to make ,,cheesy" or not-good-melodies and lines, that many producers just quit trying (Goatrance) and focused on the psychedelic core of the Goa/Psy-trance realm structure instead (Darkpsy) adding empathy on groove and bass, leaving out them obvious melodielines, sunshine (cheese? not neccesarly. Who can deny good fluff anyway?) and focusing on the placement of effects and how they correlate with eachother, making Psycore (not thinking bpm) if you don't focus on the 'Dark'.

BTW. I'm listening to much Dreaml4nd today while writing this. So much smiles. And sure, lot's of cheese, sometimes and oftensaved by good placements/structure. Allowing t to be what it is, without failing. PS2. I recently heard the new Escape Into... album, or ep. Really not my cup of tea. It felt like a weak version of IM's CV-2, which is poor in it self.. oh yeah, right now the Dreaml4nd track Im at sounds rrrreally cheesy. Glad it has loads of cheddar inside as well. And he does make the game inspired  music he makes, so....

In my opinion and experience, the cheese problem with the Full-on genre is usually because of it's choice of substance.. or lack of it. The latter I can have much respect for. Also, the full-on symptom in general hits all genres, also forest, and dark. It devours itself becoming a copy of an imitation, whatever that means

1 hour ago, psytones said:

scifi trance

This is a perfect description of my musical niche - both my listening habits and my own attempts. My music doesn't try to reflect any psychedelic experience as I have almost no such experience myself. I love the futuristic aesthetics of certain subspecies of full-on and progressive, the robotic beats, various metallic/sci-fi/alien sounds and textures, spacey melodies and this is what I'm trying to recreate in my own music. I don't actually pretend to make psychedelic music but since the artists/subgenres that inspire me are covered by the umbrella term "psytrance" I use this word to tag my own music as well. 

The "psychedelic" melodies are something really problematic. I've heard a lot of attempts at making a psychedelic melody, people often use unconventional scales/harmonies or chromatic intervals to create some psychedelic effect. This often just sounds musically wrong to me to the point that I just can't stand it at all, maybe because my ears are tuned to traditional European scales way too much. I'd rather listen to something completely unmelodic, some tracks consisting of trippy noises without any obvious melody may still be very captivating.

Anyway, another great sci-fi trance track. Well, sci-fi cowboy trance :)

• Like 1

nice track by sonic species. one of the few producers who understand make fullon that not only sounds modern but also contains everything good about fullon as.

the sci-fi vibe is also something i'm looking for in psy, though i'm equally fine with fully psychedelic weirdness or wall-of-sound goa with mystical atmospheres :)

• Like 1

Awesome return to form from Sonic Species. His last few years have been flat after such a promising start with that LP in 2012-ish. If I am honest, I had started to worry that the real talent lay in the dude who left the duo shortly after that album was released.

I would gladly welcome him bringing back floatier morning sounds to the Nano stable. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 7:18 AM, Jaza said:

I would gladly welcome him bringing back floatier morning sounds to the Nano stable. 

Yeah, exactly. He could be their new Protoculture (btw Nate is back to psytrance himself but his new project Shadow Chronicles is more in the proggy vein and overall has too much of that commercial trance sound he had been into over the last decade).

TBH Sonic Species 2012 LP had great production but I always found it somehow bland musically, but some of his later EPs and singles were great

On 5 July 2018 at 5:55 PM, recursion loop said:

Yeah, exactly. He could be their new Protoculture (btw Nate is back to psytrance himself but his new project Shadow Chronicles is more in the proggy vein and overall has too much of that commercial trance sound he had been into over the last decade).

thanks for mentioning shadow chronicles. i actually like it. it's "mainstream prog" but very tasteful mainstream prog. using the same general sound as vini vici, blastoyz and whatnot but with none of their bullshit.

• Like 1

Before I pushed play on this preview for the fun of it (looked sci-fi, thought it might be psy-fi),

i thought maybe it would contain cheesy full-on. It didn't, it just had cheesy euro-trance. *still interesting to listen to modern (euro-)trance today compared to the oldee days with Magik and Tiesto stuff. Speaking of fluff, I believe these two albums added below to be the best fluffy (almost cheesy) Psytrance albums released, ever. (might be more but these two are strong within my head-top):

Tripping to that new Paul Van Dyke stuff btw. is far from Psychedelic and when listening to it haven listened to normal euro-trance on strong mushroom trip before, I totally recognize it not being of psychedelic friendlyness. You know/remember that phenanonom when the cassette-player is going empty on battery. Thats how these kinda normal trance music stuff sounds like on the psy, whilst Psytrance/GOA. Rock it, at least most of the times. Much non-psy there as well if you dive into it. Of course, might be a personal thing cause as they say when speaking about music, "everything is psychedelic.." ... I think not.

Anyway, what better fluffy psy-trance (full-on) album exist then that Deedrah and that Psysex example eh?

Jesus christ their good.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:27 PM, Padmapani said:

thanks for mentioning shadow chronicles. i actually like it. it's "mainstream prog" but very tasteful mainstream prog. using the same general sound as vini vici, blastoyz and whatnot but with none of their bullshit.

Yeah, i like it too. I don't hear much similarity to Vini Vici (luckily), it's more like Cicradians with somehow "modernized" sound.  It feels like the production technique is overall closer to mainstream progressive/uplifting trance, which is what Nate has been into in the last years, I mean very compressed, "wall-of-sound" kind of mixing, slower tempo, obvious sidechaining, but anyway, the spirit of good old Protoculture is back.

Surely, it also deserves posting in this thread, despite technically it's not full-on it has the right vibe.

7 hours ago, recursion loop said:

Yeah, i like it too. I don't hear much similarity to Vini Vici (luckily), it's more like Cicradians with somehow "modernized" sound.  It feels like the production technique is overall closer to mainstream progressive/uplifting trance, which is what Nate has been into in the last years, I mean very compressed, "wall-of-sound" kind of mixing, slower tempo, obvious sidechaining, but anyway, the spirit of good old Protoculture is back.

with the similarities with vini vici i mean the the "modernised" sound, progressive that's focused on loud kick and bass, rather long/many breaks and builds, but here instead of the bullshit (horrible singing, offbeat/swing/triplets just for variation, endless dubdelays, builds that lead nowhere, ...) we got nice beautiful protoculture melodies.

• Like 1

I liked that Hypnoxock. Maybe, post this era of tracks is when some artists lost the connection with the roots of Goa Trance. Things change and there are no rules. I do enjoy something that retains a glimpse of some Goa Trance heritage. Pure technology disconnects me from that fruitful coastline in India somewhat, however every artist is on their own journey within the realm of psy trance, you have to go where it feels right at any given time.

• Like 1