Connection or ZNA

Jaspupper

I have been to both, and I loved both... last year I danced for the first time in 10 years non stop for 30 hours on Connection... I forgot to eat even, and I was in the 7th heaven! (yes, yes, sober!) 

On the other hand, the best musical moment of my life was on ZNA...

Hard to chose, I would go for both, ALWAYS :) 

The pros of Connection: the music (old and new, so for me this means, also new stuff, not always the same over and over again), the small family atmosphere, the surrounding with the river and beautiful cities nearby
contras: could have some more details like toilets (but they would work on it)

The pros of ZNA: the location, the music (although, if you know all old school it might be a repeat here and there, but you are new so I dont think it applies), the organisation (toilets etc) are flawless
contras: because they always plays progressive during the day there is no way you can dance non stop on goa like on Connection.

So its like chosing between a golden ring and a golden necklace... I simply can't choose :)

• Like 1

I'd really like to go to both, seeing as they both seem

amazing, but that's not really an option monetarily :/

I think I can manage to go to either Connection/ZNA and

Transylvaliens though, and that one seems pretty sweet aswell.

Thanks for your insight :)

Last year in Connection the most classic artists played during day. In fact, the first days at night sound a lot psy-trance (which I don't like). That was a very good thing, because it let me to party during day and sleep at night (from 10-11pm to 7-8am) almost every day. With the consideration I wasn't sober any day, I think this sleep time was healthier for my body (and mind!).

Last year in Connection the most classic artists played during day. In fact, the first days at night sound a lot psy-trance (which I don't like). That was a very good thing, because it let me to party during day and sleep at night (from 10-11pm to 7-8am) almost every day. With the consideration I wasn't sober any day, I think this sleep time was healthier for my body (and mind!).

as i am a night person , this was one of the two big downsides to connection festival. most headliners were playing in the day or (even worse) after sunrise before noon, while most of the time there were no-names or even darkpsy (why?!?) playing at night. i really don't get why so many festivals think that the main party time has to be between 8:00 and 15:00...

the second big downside was that the nights are freezingly cold. because you don't want to miss the best acts, you cannot warm yourself up by dancing, so you'll put on 2-3 t-shirts, 2 warm sweaters and crawl into your extra-warm winter sleeping bag and still end up shivering with cold.

that's why i didn't go again last year even though the atmosphere is really nice and the lineup is a consistently awesome mix of oldschool and newschool goa.

You can't go wrong here, both festivals are fantastic. You just have to look at the line up and choose which one is the best for you.

ZNA is more of an old school festival, and at Connection you hear more neo-goa.

If I can I will attend both, for now I have a ticket to ZNA. But Koxbox and Total Eclipse are tempting...

as i am a night person , this was one of the two big downsides to connection festival. most headliners were playing in the day or (even worse) after sunrise before noon, while most of the time there were no-names or even darkpsy (why?!?) playing at night. i really don't get why so many festivals think that the main party time has to be between 8:00 and 15:00...

the second big downside was that the nights are freezingly cold. because you don't want to miss the best acts, you cannot warm yourself up by dancing, so you'll put on 2-3 t-shirts, 2 warm sweaters and crawl into your extra-warm winter sleeping bag and still end up shivering with cold.

that's why i didn't go again last year even though the atmosphere is really nice and the lineup is a consistently awesome mix of oldschool and newschool goa.

I prefer daytime parties! During the night I wanna sleep so I got all my energy left to party during the day while the sun is out, it's warm and I feel fresh and energized, hence I'll always be in favor of putting the best names during daytime... but this is definetely up to personal preference! :)

• Like 1

I prefer daytime parties! During the night I wanna sleep so I got all my energy left to party during the day while the sun is out, it's warm and I feel fresh and energized, hence I'll always be in favor of putting the best names during daytime... but this is definetely up to personal preference! :)

+1 

Am I getting old? Probably, but well, I prefer to sleep well and to dance full power during the day :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Both festivals are great but I can't go to Connection because my fiancee can't take holidays during that time of the year. It's a subjective matter but I'd choose ZNA because of the rarity of some of the acts (Magus, Igneous Sauria, Ree K, Sheyba, Miranda...).

As for the night V day: For outdoor festivals I've always been a morning person. I usually put my alarm clock at ~5 in the morning so that I have my breakfast and coffee with the sunrise and then I'm off for a morning of dancing.

In some countries (Mediterranean for sure) ,in the summer, I think the music must stop at ~13:00. It's not healthy to stay that time of the day under sunlight, even indirect. Given that I live in Greece, I go to the beach around 4-5 in the afternoon, before that I find it annoying and unhealthy.

+1 

Am I getting old? Probably, but well, I prefer to sleep well and to dance full power during the day :D

i'm also getting old, therefore i cannot just party anytime (or 24 hours like 10 years ago) and have to sleep long into the day to be well rested :)

full power during the day is often impossible because of the heat (if the weather is good). chilling during the day and dancing at night helps to reduce the strain of temperature extremes ;)

if most people are in favour of partying during the day (it certainly seems to be the case on here), why aren't the normal parties during the day? it's easier to get permits at day and no one can stop the party due to noise regulations or complaints from neighbours.

I have issues with dust; that's why I wouldn't consider Connection. For Zna I am not sure how abundant is the dust. I am def interested in Zna this year because of the line-up, but my first choice is Balkan Goa Fanatics Sea Edition, to where I have bought a ticket. Croatian islands are rock-based, not sand, so no dust, also nice to dip in the sea. Transylvaliens (from what I have seen in pics) looks like another perfect location, it is grass soil. (Sorry for going a bit off-topic here talking about other fests, but on the other hand it is not offtopic at all bc for instance the only reason that has kept me from attending Connection is the dust as long as there is better locations available).

For me all kinds of convenience issues are more important than line-ups. It is def a sign of getting old. I also prefer daytime dancing like some others here. The best would be if I didn't have to sleep in a tent and hehe, that's the way I am gonna have it this summer on the fest I mentioned  :P

Thanks for your insight guys. We settled for Connection, due,

in no small part, to the family atmosphere it's supposed to have,

seeing as both ZNA and Connection have awesome locations and lineups.

Already really pumped to expierience so much pure Goa :D

No idea.

The one who mods the 1995 - 2005 Unreleased Goa Trance group on Facebook (or something similar to that. I'm sure I got the name wrong)

aaa, you are probably talking about Kyriakos (DJ Sunborn). He's playing at the goa guardians night but he's not really an organiser.

Edit: ... and yes he's a bit hard to get along with!

• 4 weeks later...

Total Eclipse is at Connection? Dang. I.NEED.TOTAL ECLIPSE. I'm attending ZNA this year for my 2nd time. Never been to connection.

read the comments so will jot down notes in reply...

My thoughts is the line-up is what most matters. It's what gets me out of NY and far for the music ;p But if traveling with family then I can see the reasoning being different to choose a proper festival (if those exist haha). Food is never a problem. Bathrooms tend to be the same porta potties. Ozora was the first time for me that has decent stalls. Maybe location of the event matters say for an emergency issue. Yes teams will be on site but that site may be far out there. ZNA is far out there ;p Not sure on Connection.

I find it fun to be out all night to the music but I just cant do it as easily anymore so definitely prefer to sleep the night away. Staying up all night and then day makes the week go by slower.

And the sweat you build up during the day and night helps to keep you colder even if bundled.

Dust - honestly dont remember how it was at ZNA. Its a dry environment so gotta say it was there but it didnt affect me and I can be sensitive to it. Maybe sticking to back of the dancefloor helped. Regardless - where theres hundreds of dancing feet, there will be dust. Unless you're dancing on foam ;p Ive had worse dust issue on indoor parties.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...