Just now, recursion loop said:

Is it possible to run ES-1 outside of Logic? Or Quadrafuzz in Logic, for that matter? 

Yor example sounds nice but not quite similar to that Aquila bass imo.

it's possible to sample es-1 and put it into cubase for quadrafuzz. from what i've heard that was quite often done in the early 00s.

it's not quite there, but something about the way the filter works makes me think it's es-1. there's some sort of characteristic that's very distinct from the basses i get with other synths (though obviously i don't know vb-1).

1 minute ago, Padmapani said:

it's possible to sample es-1 and put it into cubase for quadrafuzz. from what i've heard that was quite often done in the early 00s.

it's not quite there, but something about the way the filter works makes me think it's es-1. there's some sort of characteristic that's very distinct from the basses i get with other synths (though obviously i don't know vb-1).

I see. Indeed the filter characteristics are similar in your example.

I have neither cubase nor logic myself, but I know many people used vb-1/quadra in the 00s (iirc someone told me this technique was invented or made popular by Skazi), so I'm just guessing it's how the bass was made in that track.

TBH I never managed to really nail this specific bassline style myself

51 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

TBH I never managed to really nail this specific bassline style myself

neither did i. and it's become increasingly difficult. afaik the newer versions of cubase cannot run the old version of quadrafuzz, that's on pretty much every one of these basslines, anymore.

I would have a guess that the Aquila track uses Trilogy (at that time) seems that synth was released in 2002, very common synth for psy (now Trilian) or it is a straight sample with the filter and amp envelope embedded. Have a listen to Avalon's Teleport track (which is my fave track by Avalon). Almost identical just a little different tone/eq.

I fairly frequently hear a track and hear the profile of the bass line note and think ahh.. that sounds like .... X's track.

• Like 1

since im a cubase user for a very long time i can chime in simply by saying theres a quadrafuzzz version 2, but ofc it is not the same sound as the originial. you can still run the original as a 32bit plugin using jBridge. 

as far as the synthesis discussion go i wont say much, but i would be surprised if you couldnt dial in that very sound in alot of different synths? i mean even between you, you seem to not agree that it is either vb1, es-1 or anything else. :) seems like you can make that sound in many different synths ^^

There is an old tuotrial about that vb-1/quadrafuzz bass  (for the end result skip to around 30:30)

I wouldn't say it's exactly the same sound as in that Aquila track, but this sounds a lot like the full-on basslines everyone and their dog were making around 2005-2009, like Astrix, Galactica, Ephedrix etc. 

6 hours ago, recursion loop said:

There is an old tuotrial about that vb-1/quadrafuzz bass  (for the end result skip to around 30:30)

I wouldn't say it's exactly the same sound as in that Aquila track, but this sounds a lot like the full-on basslines everyone and their dog were making around 2005-2009, like Astrix, Galactica, Ephedrix etc. 

yeah, that's exactly the astrix, alien project, etc... sound. but with this comparison i am even more sure that aquila is es-1. still, the vb-1/quadrafuzz bass sounds better to my ears :)

• Like 1