Talamasca butchering a few X-Dream tracks

MrAnarchy

at first i though "well, it's not that bad. it's just x-dream classics squished into the template for modern boring McPsytrance", but the section around 4:17 made me agree with the op wholeheartedly. still, i cannot get myself to press the like button of the post containing the original video ;)

• Like 2

while i no longer like his style, and his last million albums, he was once great

He has like 3 good tracks: Jungle Storm, Halloween and Sinai. The rest is bellow average IMO

He has like 3 good tracks: Jungle Storm, Halloween and Sinai. The rest is bellow average IMO

don't you dare to say something like that ;)

time simulation! the old school! cancer! ...

actually pretty much anything he made up to (and including) the zodiac album is great.

that makes it even more sad when you compare all those classics to his recent output.

He did same with Astral Projection.. People Can Fly - Kabalah - Mahadeva Talamasca Mega Remix :/

To be honest: these remixes sound like the average 'neo' goa imo: clean and very prominent bass with a repetitive 1,2,3,... rhythm in it and less psy and a more simple 'melody'. Especially around 0:40, 2:30 and 5:20, 7:10 it is very clear.

Since coke and speed took over the (goa) scene dance floors, people want more bass music, less focused on the psy side of Goa.

Here the (Brazilian) crowd seems to love it, and that is what gets booked - Goa is business nowadays, and with busines the music quality follows (down hill).

Looking at their reactions, I think this new generation loves it and doesn't consider it a butchering (by a lack of musical back ground and history?).

So, this was my political incorrect post :P - haha! :)

• Like 1

Since coke and speed took over the (goa) scene dance floors, people want more bass music, less focused on the psy side of Goa.

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO THINKS THE SAME AS ME!

I too think that this is a major reason why this is happening. People need to go back to shrooms and acid ha haaaa!

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO THINKS THE SAME AS ME!

I too think that this is a major reason why this is happening. People need to go back to shrooms and acid ha haaaa!

Well, I have my reasons :)

1. My first wake up call was a few years ago, when I had to play at a Goa party abroad of Belgium (not Israel this time, but Spain) and played a Artha-tribute set.

The organiser said this music was too psychedelic and too futuristic - lol!

She literary said: "People take cocaine and speed, they crave beat music and yours is just too psychedelic."

Since than it strikes my mind and I study the reactions from people on the dance floor more into detail.

She really has a point. In general people indeed consume more easy going drugs 'to stay' inside the comfort zone and choose more for mind narrowing drugs instead of the less 'safe' mind expending onces.

Goa consumers at parties and festivals have changed a lot, so did the 'music' that has been produced now: maybe we can really talk about neo Goa, but more since 2010 instead of since 2000, when these type of drugs really took it almost all over and everything - including its 'artists' - followed. The beat became more and more primary and the rest of the sounds is filling it up.

2. An artist - who his name I shall not mention here - who makes newer Goa and tours a lot over the entire globe - told a friend of him (also an artist) to better make easy going and more superficial melodic Goa (read: less psychedelic) that the crowd can easily consume. The music isn't that good, but you tour a lot (on big festivals).

Seems he is right, cause he is darn 'successful' these days :P

More safe, predictable and less psychedelic Goa merges more and more.

Off course there will be exceptions, but ... damned a 2nd non political correct post (look at me go). Let me hope no organisers will read this ;):P

• Like 3

Since coke and speed took over the (goa) scene dance floors, people want more bass music

party drugs have been part of the scene for longer than the scene itself (they were prevalent before goa split off of trance). so these drugs cannot be responsible. 

i think the true reason is that the audience is much bigger than before, with not so much a community as before and more people who'll just go to a psy party because, well, it's just a party (and the people are usually nicer than anywhere else). of course it's a sort of chicken-egg-question to ask if the scene changed first to demand simpler music or if the music changed first to attract different people (probably both at different places and different times. *looks towards israel and brazil with an evil expression* ).

i think another point is that a larger percentage of the younger generation (with the increasing economic insecurity they're facing and the social control mechanisms posed by social media) is much more conformistic than we were. they'll rather not be challenged too much by weird music and want to party in a way that's more acceptable by mainstream society.

• Like 1

party drugs have been part of the scene for longer than the scene itself (they were prevalent before goa split off of trance). so these drugs cannot be responsible. 

Off course, I didn't state it wasn't there and single responsible. ;)

The rest I agree 100%.

Society changed a lot.

At the same Spanish party I was talking to Shiva Jörg - with whom I shared the line up back then - and I asked him some questions regarding that change.

He added that you created bookings for yourself  in the 90's when you were original and inventive as a dj or artist. Creating new things that stood out of the rest of the field. Meaning: if you were a musician thinking outside the box you got booked.

Nowadays cross bookings too add to the destruction of that original philosophy. More than enough line ups are dominated by cross bookings as a business model. Creativity isn't that much rewarded as it used to be.

BUT even in this climate originality is to be found, like it always was :) ...makes it therefore even more special :D

I keep positive :)

• Like 3

i think the true reason is that the audience is much bigger than before, with not so much a community as before and more people who'll just go to a psy party because, well, it's just a party (and the people are usually nicer than anywhere else). of course it's a sort of chicken-egg-question to ask if the scene changed first to demand simpler music or if the music changed first to attract different people (probably both at different places and different times. *looks towards israel and brazil with an evil expression* ).

i think another point is that a larger percentage of the younger generation (with the increasing economic insecurity they're facing and the social control mechanisms posed by social media) is much more conformistic than we were. they'll rather not be challenged too much by weird music and want to party in a way that's more acceptable by mainstream society.

But you cant deny the decline in consumption of LSD and Psilocybe mushrooms on parties. Now its all basically XTC/MDMA, aphetamines and cocaine. There is a reason why those drugs are mainly used on techno, minimal, deep hause parties. Its because that kind of sound suits that state of mind. Im talking from personal experience aswell. Also you cant deny that the whole psychedelic culture was heavily influenced by psychedelic drugs. All the way from the days of psy-rock. So its obvious that if you change the drug, culture and the needs of its members change with it. 

lsd and mushrooms are still used. though mostly at festivals and mostly some distance away from the dancefloor, but it has always been that way. the packed, crowded dancefloors with lots and lots of stimuli are often too much for people on psychedelics. 

mdma/speed and to a lesser extent coke are popular with any sort of electronic dance music, because they give you energy, make dancing more fun and amplify the joy you get from deep booming bass (except coke). so they just fit perfectly to electronic music including psytrance and have always been present. ecstasy is the prototypical rave drug and has (together with amphetamine) been a fundamental part of trance parties since before psytrance split off mainstream trance.

lsd and mushrooms are still used

Not nearly as much as in the 90s. Also LSD is nearly extinct. I have been scouring for it for years and didnt find it so yeah.

Tabs that you find on festivals and parties are all NBome or DOx or some other reserch chemical.