Do you use Spotify?

Penzoline

It took me a while to get into using it originally, but I can't live without it anymore. The fact you have such a huge array of music available to you anywhere is a such a great thing. You get to discover new music really easy and it just makes everything so convenient.

The only problem it has is that not all Goa labels put their stuff in there, like Cronomi, Neogoa and Ektoplazm, or that if you want to listen it from another player, you basically need 2 sim cards since you're so tied to your phone network.

I tried it some years ago. There was an unacceptable lack of underground electronic music so it wasn't useful for me. Also, when I tried it the audio quality was mp3 128kbps. However, the most important fact for not using it is philosophical: I don't like the "cloud". I prefer to have my music in my own hard drives.

• Like 3

It's gone a long way since those years ago although the free edition is useless on phones. I listen almost exclusively EDM and I'm happy about what it offers, in fact I keep finding new good music all the time using the song radio feature. For more underground music, yes probably a good idea to keep them on the drives, but it's a hassle with limited storage on the road. I'm thinking this purely from having access to a huge library of music just about anywhere. Most of the people of my age group seem to have a spotify account from what I've talked with people.

Spotify isnt available in India on the app store :( such a bummer coz i see all my friends talk about it on social media

Funny part is that a dating site im using is integrated with Spotify and i can send tracks to the opposite sex after listening to the song for 30 seconds

I don't use Spotify. I really don't get the appeal when I can just upload all my my mp3 files on my phone's file player and just go on from there without worrying about losing Wi-Fi connection.

I don't. I think their profit distribution model is whack and I think the concept of Spotify making millions off of the backs of artists is rather weak.

It would be one thing if Spotify funded recording deals, paid to produce, and give artists advances; but they don't.

They take a finished product and take 50% of revenue (a revenue calculation which is less than fair to any artist receiving less than the average number of plays). 

If I pay $5 (or whatever it is per month) and play nothing but Chemical Brothers for the month. They don't even get my $5. They get their portion of total plays combined with the entire site's other artists number of plays. I use my money each month to simply buy music from artists. 

I don't use the free app either, as the entire company rubs me the wrong way.

Same with both Apple and Google Music. 

Maybe I'm just stuck in the past and an un-evolved luddite, but it's just not for me at the time.

• Like 3

I don't use Spotify. I really don't get the appeal when I can just upload all my my mp3 files on my phone's file player and just go on from there without worrying about losing Wi-Fi connection.

Do you have free mobile internet?

Otherwise spotify is useless.

You CAN d/l whatever you want to your device for off-line listening, obviously as long as you're a paying subscriber.

But no, I don't use it. For me it's difficult enough to switch from physical media to buying digital releases! Subscription model is even further out of my comfort zone... 

I don't. I think their profit distribution model is whack and I think the concept of Spotify making millions off of the backs of artists is rather weak.

It would be one thing if Spotify funded recording deals, paid to produce, and give artists advances; but they don't.

They take a finished product and take 50% of revenue (a revenue calculation which is less than fair to any artist receiving less than the average number of plays). 

If I pay $5 (or whatever it is per month) and play nothing but Chemical Brothers for the month. They don't even get my $5. They get their portion of total plays combined with the entire site's other artists number of plays. I use my money each month to simply buy music from artists. 

I don't use the free app either, as the entire company rubs me the wrong way.

Same with both Apple and Google Music. 

Maybe I'm just stuck in the past and an un-evolved luddite, but it's just not for me at the time.

I agree with the monetizing sentiments completely. However the deal, for me, is too good to give a pass.

Do you have free mobile internet?

Otherwise spotify is useless.

Of course it's not free but I think majority phone owners here have a deal with a mobile internet.

This thread is really surprising to me, like I said, most of my peers seem to have a spotify and use it regularly. Interesting.

I can't get it in Japan. I ended up with an app called firetube. It's basically YouTube without the video. It's great for streaming music. The only thing I can't get is decent ambient but I still buy that anyway as I like the high quality files for such delicate music.

• Like 1