Good headphones for Trance

Mallenaut

For production/listening at home i use Sennheiser HD 380 Pro but they are huge... Sennheiser HD 205 i use for gigs and listening music while travelling. HD 205 have 'extra bass' which is good when you are in loud places like trains, buses, streets... :)

Sony MDR-7506.

I've tried several other makes of headphone (AKG, Shure, Sennheiser, other Sonys) but nothing has the crystal clarity of the 7506s.

have you listened to the akg k701?

not that they would fit into this thread. they aren't portable at all and the bass is a bit too dry for pure "pleasure" listening. but for clarity and accuracy i haven't found anything that could compete (while still being reasonably priced).

have you listened to the akg k701?

not that they would fit into this thread. they aren't portable at all and the bass is a bit too dry for pure "pleasure" listening. but for clarity and accuracy i haven't found anything that could compete (while still being reasonably priced).

Hmm, I haven't! Though I typically prefer closed to open headphones, for less bleed and more immersion.

I used to have a pair of Shure SRH840s, which had powerful bass, but poor clarity; the layers of the music seemed muddy and indistinct, especially with something like Nervasystem 4 that emphasises the bass to begin with. By contrast, the more neutral sound of the 7506 seems to make them a good all-rounder.

I was never into those big, whole-ear cans and I'm mainly sticking to in-ear headphones:

- Senheisser for detailed, clear and balanced sound,

- JBL for more bassy / less fatiguing and more "lush" sound,

- Sony bluetooth set for jogging, but they're good just for that - the sound is noisy and bass heavy, which works for running but not much else.

Unless you're not producing music, I'd say for longer listening something more bassy and with lower emphasis with high frequencies should be ideal, because modern production tends to overblow mid / high sounds, which gets tiresome after a while.

For mixing I use akg k271 for few years already. I was quite surprised to know that they are still in production, seem to be really succesful model.

For listening to music at smartphone I use some Samsungs like these, don't remember which model exactly. They do the job and also are good as stresstest for my own mixes

31yncTZsfAL._SX425_.jpg

i tried out dozens of mid-range headphones at one of my local audio shops... the best sound for me was the V-Moda M-100's. Not necessarily the best if you want to listen to classical or rock as the mids are a bit recessed but in terms of recreating that club atmosphere of booming bass and clear digital effects it was unmatched.

it's a bit bulky if you want to keep them wrapped around your neck for extended periods of time but they fold up nicely if you have a bag to put them in.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/noise_cancelling_headphones.html

71DxYr8qtUL._SL1500_.jpgQuiet comfort 35 has cystal clear acoustics . Although i dont own it i managed to get a demo at the retail outlet with my music and i was very happy with the sound . Give it a shot , its a little pricey but well worth every single penny. 

I bought the ones that are not noise cancellation thinking 300$ is a bit pricey , about 2 years ago so maybe it was slightly cheaper then , and I 100% regret not having bought the NC ones... Im thinking of giving myself a Christmas / NY gift   :D

Thats weird noone has written Sennheiser HD-25 II

(all parts on it can be replced if anything breaks or tears https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/original-sennheiser-1-5m-steel-cable-with-for-hd25-with-right-angled-jack-hd-25-orange.html)

Their like LSD, sharp and good Does get a bit weary on your earflops after a couple of hours or so tho ...

IS350486-01-01-BIG.jpg

414Drxv9w5L._SY355_.jpg

3_12_31.jpg

Edited by psytones
  • Like 1

Thats weird noone has written Sennheiser HD-25 II

(all parts on it can be replced if anything breaks or tears https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/original-sennheiser-1-5m-steel-cable-with-for-hd25-with-right-angled-jack-hd-25-orange.html)

Their like LSD, sharp and good Does get a bit weary on your earflops after a couple of hours or so tho ...

IS350486-01-01-BIG.jpg

414Drxv9w5L._SY355_.jpg

3_12_31.jpg

^ This!

Sony MDR-7506 for psytrance and techno. Earlier I had two pairs of MDR-V6 and both broke. The left driver just went kaput.

It's been a year and half now with the 7506 and fingers crossed. These are studio monitor headphones, so the sound is neutral

and analytical with good clarity and balanced bass. However, at times they can be sibilant. These are great closed-back headphones under $100.

I tried ATH-M50x but they were a bit bass heavy for me.

Recently I got the Sennheiser HD650. I use them for ambient / modern classical electronic music.

These are laid back and warm / lush sounding with better soundstage and imaging but somewhat lacking in the bass for edm.

I switch my headphones depending upon the kind of music I'm listening to.

• 4 months later...

Tried the costly Pioneer HDJ 2000 and while they are good, the Sennheiser HD25 beats them all in terms of sound. You really get all the details plus all da bass.

As psytones says, the earshells get a little tired of them after long use run. They are pushing on the ears instead of surrounding them.

Grado SR225 or SR325. From my other phones i got (Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT150 amd AKG K271)i got the grado SR225 three years ago.

Finally a perfect headphone. Fun and punchy with great sound. Listening hours at a time with no problem. Light on head so you

almost dont notice them.

They are lightly driven from most devices and phones. I use a Little Dot +1 amp with mullard tubes,

have found it to be the perfect combination for my taste.

• 3 years later...

1) k-712 with a great amplifier (otherwise its not an impressive headphone but scales something crazy with both dac and amp, and most importantly a good sounding mix. then they sound fantastic. i personally a good powered k712 sounds better than a hd800 but i always get flack for that :p

2) shure 970

3) sennheiser iem ie-8

dac used UR22 from Steinberg. it uses a cirrus logic dac i think. very decent amplification for lower impedance headphones. on paper not great (8mw i think) but you cant really tell its that low output. it gets loud and well within the good range.