bandcamp.com appreciation topic

antic604

This is such a grossly misleading statement.

It is not GONE for whoever bought it.

Bandcamp cannot get onto your computer and delete files. If you are only streaming items, then you really aren't buying the album anyway. 

If you paid for the album, you download the item. Your purchase doesn't include free cloud storage. It does include free streaming, but that's not what you paid for. You paid for the download. The stream is a bonus. 

Again, Bandcamp CANNOT delete items you paid for.

I'm sure he means "delete" from your bandcamp.com collection and not available any longer for download & streaming.

• Like 1

I'm sure he means "delete" from your bandcamp.com collection and not available any longer for download & streaming.

Indeed this is what I mean.

Of course you should secure it yourself, but I had to learn the hard way because I expected this not to be possible.

Anyway, if what I said was "grossly misleading", then "unlimited streaming" is also misleading. ;) They shouldn't advertise what they don't guarantee, that's all I'm saying.

Sorry to be the outlier but I'm not too excited about bandcamp. The player on the site itself needs a lot of work, if I understand correctly there is a limit to the number of downloads available even if it's "name your price", the social aspects of the site are deeply lacking, and there is basically no search feature. There desperately needs to be a quick and easy way to donate to the artist right on the site, and better options for customization. The only positives are the well integrated shopping cart and variety of file types available.

Maybe bandcamp is nice as a label to organize things, but building your own website is really really easy and you could have complete control over everything.

From technical perspective, Bandcamp player have really great integration with other websites, especially with Wordpress where you can customize the size, look and feature of player it self, something similar like SoundCloud player, but with few additional features when it comes to design. Speaking about the number of playes, you can add any number on certain track for stream before someone decides to buy it. We keep 3 plays per track I think.

One of the most important aspects is that Bandcamp that most labels are using is actually the Bandcamp for artists. The labels Bandcamp looks something like this, where you can run multiple artist accounts from one place I think - https://metalblade.bandcamp.com/ and it have some additional features such as music videos.

Search option might not be the best thing, but so far I don't have any issues with getting new and interesting music by browsing through tags and Bandcamp discover feature: https://bandcamp.com/#discover

• Like 2

From technical perspective, Bandcamp player have really great integration with other websites, especially with Wordpress where you can customize the size, look and feature of player it self, something similar like SoundCloud player, but with few additional features when it comes to design. Speaking about the number of playes, you can add any number on certain track for stream before someone decides to buy it. We keep 3 plays per track I think.

I think JohnB820 was referring to web-player, as opposed to how it works e.g. on soundcloud.com. On bandcamp.com, if you stream something on the web and click almost any link on the page it will stop playing and follow the link. On soundcloud.com this is not the case, as the player is a background process (a separate UI layer that's always on top) and you have to actively press "||" to stop the playback.

• Like 2

Though I love bandcamp, that doesn't mean it is perfect.

- Search engine: many queries failed to retrieve existing artists/albums entries in bc; the same queries made via Google in bc were successful

- Lack of "you may also like" feature, whereby similar products are retrieved and proposed (Amazon, itunes, etc. have that in place)

- Poverty of social features; in practice, you can only see what others buy (or wish so) and their comments, if any; you can insert your own comment on what you buy, but you cannot comment on comments made by others

- Feed functionality: some filtering functions would be appreciated, for instance show me only the albums that fans I follow bought AND having at least one comment

- The list of "fans you may like to follow", which I suppose is the outcome of a purchase matching algorithm, stays often static

Apart from the above, bc is fantastic.

I think JohnB820 was referring to web-player, as opposed to how it works e.g. on soundcloud.com. On bandcamp.com, if you stream something on the web and click almost any link on the page it will stop playing and follow the link. On soundcloud.com this is not the case, as the player is a background process (a separate UI layer that's always on top) and you have to actively press "||" to stop the playback.

Oh, I get it now. Well yeah, that might be the issue, but I hope they will recognize that (and some other things which are suggested here) and make the needed improvements in future.

Oh, I get it now. Well yeah, that might be the issue, but I hope they will recognize that (and some other things which are suggested here) and make the needed improvements in future.

The problem of web player stopping upon a click is easily circumvented by right-clicking and choosing "open in another tab/window"

• 3 weeks later...

I like bandcamp a lot. It's got a great mix of name your price stuff and labels that I am happy to pay full price for. If I buy a physical CD I get a decent download right away. I remember buy If live direct from DAT and the download was poor to say the least. Each track separate except for CD3, not art embedded in the FLAC, except for CD2 and one file I am not sure which cause my Walkman to crash over and over and need repair :lol: great album though :)

Bandcamp downloads are always perfect, simple to download and fit on my player instantly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not Psytrance but defo something to appreciate. Ive known about 36 for some years now due to my Mattibuddy who owns some vinyls...same guy who passed me the knowledge of Burial. Great guy! I was snooking on 3six' Bandcamp page to buy some CD*s+Files. I first paid for the files to Lithea because it didn't have CD with it. Hypersona, Hollow on CD next, was the plan, then I saw this https://3six.bandcamp.com/subscribeand action changed. I supported by buying a 3six Subscription, so I now own all the 36 artist releases, pluss so much more (like 10% discount on physical releases)! See posted link, So worth it. He only charges 22 pounds, and you may give more!! np. Tape Series: Green 

a1664298554_10.jpg

**outside of bandcamp, Circular CD album(s), fixed/on its way : )