bandcamp.com appreciation topic

antic604

So, I guess it's time for us to acknowledge how good a service they provide, right? I checked and for the last half year the music I purchased was 60-70% via bandcamp.com and I'm really glad such a service is there. It's unique in that it allows to buy digital + physical for many releases, especially in psy/goa world this is pretty common, but at the same time lets you build the digital collection for streaming (unlike Psyshop or Beatspace, where you can d/l the files, but that's a one-time thing only). Normally I wasn't appreciating this last feature, but today I forgot to take my tablet to work and suddenly - if it wasn't for bandcamp.com's streaming - I'd be left without music... I also understand that bandcamp.com is a better option for artists & labels, because they get a bigger cut compared to psyshop / beatspace?

I only pray that - as a company - their business model remains prudent and safe, so that they won't vanish from the market :)

Who's with me?  :wub:

• Like 1

One thing I just noticed is they should improve their web player (AFAIR it works fine in Android app) - if music is on and you click something on the page it usually will stop the playback and follows the link. It would be ideal if they adopted soundcloud.com's approach, where the player is a separate thread in the background.

Otherwise, it's a God send for stubborn old-school people like myself, who refuse to go fully digital :)

• Like 1

Im a big fan of Bandcamp as well. Love the page for all them reasons. My very first bandcamp experience was in early 2011, maybe late 2010 with the releases of the artist Kalya Scintilla ('Feeln' Good' single).

I could choose to listen to it in full online, i could choose to DL and pay for it, or not pay for it. It was my choice. I loved it.

Digitalis, the side/original project of Kaya Project and Shakta,, released this album,

https://sebtaylor.bandcamp.com/album/collected-vinyl-breaks(Check it out, look at the last track the 75 minutes long track. ..)

I think we all would love it if more artists did this, release an album and add to it your own DJ mix of the tracks. I think this is cool and a defo advantage with digital release versus physical (costs).

Personally I hope more artists do this with their releases. PS. here the other day I recieved this from a seller on discogs: https://www.discogs.com/DJ-Eyal-Contact-Clubber-Vol-1/release/356062(look! 2 CDs ..)

• Like 3

Definitely Bandcamp fan :)

One thing missing (on purpose obviously) is to add a release but make it unavailable for sale.

The only way you can do that is if you don't upload any wav files.

But other than that I agree completely with what all of you said.

• Like 1

One thing missing (on purpose obviously) is to add a release but make it unavailable for sale.

I saw one can get around this problem by putting a ridiculously high price, like here: https://digitalreprints.bandcamp.com/releases

I thought "WTF?" when I saw it ;):D

Digitalis, the side/original project of Kaya Project and Shakta,, released this album,

https://sebtaylor.bandcamp.com/album/collected-vinyl-breaks(Check it out, look at the last track the 75 minutes long track. ..)

Oh! Thanks for that - I love Seb's music in all incarnations  :wub:

• Like 2

Appreciate Bandcamp even more to save my bought music. Happened again that I broke my computer on Sunday and lost lots of downloaded music. Well, I am used to it..I break one computer per a year ;)

• Like 2

Appreciate Bandcamp even more to save my bought music. Happened again that I broke my computer on Sunday and lost lots of downloaded music. Well, I am used to it..I break one computer per a year ;)

How did you "break" it? Can't you swap the HDD to new computer at least, to retrieve at least some of the data back?

• Like 1

I saw one can get around this problem by putting a ridiculously high price, like here: https://digitalreprints.bandcamp.com/releases

I thought "WTF?" when I saw it ;):D

Since a lot of people will want the release to appear publicly on their collection that was the only way to do it.

And I couldn't use a "regular" price since I don't want to benefit on Piers' work.

• Like 1

Since a lot of people will want the release to appear publicly on their collection that was the only way to do it.

And I couldn't use a "regular" price since I don't want to benefit on Piers' work.

Isn't it possible for Piers to give the d/l codes to individual albums making up the Limited Edition to the people that bought it?

Just like Draeke is doing for Virtuart 2CD if bought via DAT Records store?

I understand part of the proceeds from LE go to him, right?

Isn't it possible for Piers to give the d/l codes to individual albums making up the Limited Edition to the people that bought it?

Just like Draeke is doing for Virtuart 2CD if bought via DAT Records store?

Tsk tsk tsk, you obviously don't read my updates  :P

I will hand out the d/l codes of the comp. And that's why I put it on bandcamp with a high price, so people can have in their collection.

When the campaign concludes everyone who backed the project will receive a code  :)

Apart from that, even if Piers was hanging out d/l codes there are 3 tracks that don't appear to any of his released albums. Let alone the fact that only through Digital Reprints you will be able to obtain Hakan's fresh artwork for the comp.

Tsk tsk tsk, you obviously don't read my updates  :P

I will hand out the d/l codes of the comp. And that's why I put it on bandcamp with a high price, so people can have in their collection.

When the campaign concludes everyone who backed the project will receive a code  :)

Apart from that, even if Piers was hanging out d/l codes there are 3 tracks that don't appear to any of his released albums. Let alone the fact that only through Digital Reprints you will be able to obtain Hakan's fresh artwork for the comp.

I do and I know that, but I'm asking if doing like I described wasn't an easier solution to a problem that - indeed - shouldn't exist in the first place.

How did you "break" it? Can't you swap the HDD to new computer at least, to retrieve at least some of the data back?

How did I break it? I was chatting in fb and then 66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666..sequence came and suddenly it was all over..called a friend: he said number 6 went there, haha. I took the computer to recycling the next day and got a new one: this is like a dream with SSL and Intel i-series 6th generation..soo I hope it tolerates Anu Katariina :lol:

I do and I know that, but I'm asking if doing like I described wasn't an easier solution to a problem that - indeed - shouldn't exist in the first place.

Oh, ok. In that case not really. You wouldn't get the extra 3 tracks, you wouldn't get the new artwork, and you only get the first 100 codes for free per release. After that he should purchase more.

And lastly I wouldn't want to leave other people be responsible for something that is my duty (as Digital Reprints) anyway.

Things can go wrong very easy you know.  :)

• Like 1

How did I break it? I was chatting in fb and then 66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666..sequence came and suddenly it was all over..called a friend: he said number 6 went there, haha. I took the computer to recycling the next day and got a new one: this is like a dream with SSL and Intel i-series 6th generation..soo I hope it tolerates Anu Katariina :lol:

Are you sure it wasn't 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 etc etc?  :P  :P  :P

• Like 1

Are you sure it wasn't 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 etc etc?  :P

Lol, I know..that hard drive breaking was much more funny this time than the previous times :-)

Not really, he didn't do anything, I did all the hard work.

He just handed me over his musical output during the last 6 years.

And just to make sure, I am being extremely ironic  :P  :P  :P

Definitely Bandcamp fan :)

But other than that I agree completely with what all of you said.

You can add tracklist (without adding files) or do both, add certain tracks and attach files to it (it works for physical sales), for digital you can always have private album streaming/download codes. If you have mailing list, you can generate album or track codes (100 is minimum I think) and send it over to supporters, even it has automation with services such as MailChimp. There is a huge 'how to do' help topics at Bandcamp so the best way is to get into it and see is it doable :)

• Like 3

Cronomi also uses bandcamp for several years now.

Is very useful if you want to be independent from distributors who take a very big part of your sales money.

Advantage is also - for the buyers - you can listen in full length (I also prefer that instead of samples that in the end say not much).

Is very useful if you want to be independent from distributors who take a very big part of your sales money.

That's exactly what we figured when we stood in front of the decision. I also like their way of "taking" their fees. Instead of handing you bills, they just calculate it directly with your sales, which is extremely convenient (and quite generous - I wouldn't want to imagine the amount of money they have "outstanding" all over the world...)

I will give a few other, non-goa releases a try on Bandcamp soon. Of course, "independence" is probably a bad term to use if you make yourself depend on Bandcamp. [ :P] Nonetheless, it seems like the best and fairest way to release music these days if you don't want to go with the big distributors.

The only bad thing so far with Bandcamp is that apparently, artists / labels can simply delete everything and it's gone for whoever bought it (EDIT: in their Bandcamp collection, DUH). So much for "unlimited streaming" and downloads in that case. They should offer some kind of protection for customers here, and at least keep it archived for a good while so it can be secured.

• Like 1

The only bad thing so far with Bandcamp is that apparently, artists / labels can simply delete everything and it's gone for whoever bought it.

Wait what? :huh: Let me check...

Crap! My CDs! Gone!

Those bastards! :angry:

The only bad thing so far with Bandcamp is that apparently, artists / labels can simply delete everything and it's gone for whoever bought it. So much for "unlimited streaming" and downloads in that case. They should offer some kind of protection for customers here, and at least keep it archived for a good while so it can be secured.

And that's why everything I own in bandcamp I also have it as a physical release.

• Like 1

Sorry to be the outlier but I'm not too excited about bandcamp. The player on the site itself needs a lot of work, if I understand correctly there is a limit to the number of downloads available even if it's "name your price", the social aspects of the site are deeply lacking, and there is basically no search feature. There desperately needs to be a quick and easy way to donate to the artist right on the site, and better options for customization. The only positives are the well integrated shopping cart and variety of file types available.

Maybe bandcamp is nice as a label to organize things, but building your own website is really really easy and you could have complete control over everything.

• Like 2

The only bad thing so far with Bandcamp is that apparently, artists / labels can simply delete everything and it's gone for whoever bought it. 

This is such a grossly misleading statement.

It is not GONE for whoever bought it.

Bandcamp cannot get onto your computer and delete files. If you are only streaming items, then you really aren't buying the album anyway. 

If you paid for the album, you download the item. Your purchase doesn't include free cloud storage. It does include free streaming, but that's not what you paid for. You paid for the download. The stream is a bonus. 

Again, Bandcamp CANNOT delete items you paid for.