So now Armin van Buuren is producing "psytrance"

Meltwater

Here its the original track where the chants come from

Btw, the OP track is a remix made by Vini Vici, Armin just played it in one of his shows.

Did you listen to the video clip at all?

BTW, why are Vini Vici using bots for souncloud plays/likes?

• Like 1

@Imba

Interesting. The mast time I've heard "future prog", it was to name Zenonesque mixes. 

Example : https://youtu.be/EMlRfQSDsBI 

Anyway, the mix you shared seem to share common points with Zenon esthetic (listen at 18:57 of the mix you shared for instance). It's as if these guys turned some Zenon stuff into commercial stuff, which is really bizarre.

It's as if these guys turned some Zenon stuff into commercial stuff, which is really bizarre.

it seems there is a conspiracy to turn every kind of subgenre of electronic music into commercial sounding crap. there already is hitech that i can't stand because it's so extremely cheesy. now they try to take over zenonesque, which is also not an easy task, but imho not quite so unthinkable as with hitech.

;)

Commercial hi-tech? Really? Care to share a few examples Padmapani? :)

definitely. but sadly i don't remember the artist. it was some kind of remix of a pop song. kinda like happy hardcore (the bad, ultra-cheesy kind of happy hardcore) but with a 180bpm "psy" beat underneath.

edit: the closest thing i've found in my 2 minute search was this:

it's horribly cheesy already. just listen to the part in the middle.

definitely. but sadly i don't remember the artist. it was some kind of remix of a pop song. kinda like happy hardcore (the bad, ultra-cheesy kind of happy hardcore) but with a 180bpm "psy" beat underneath.

Wtf did I just listen to?

• Like 1

@padmapani - :D he he you weren't kidding.

@Themaniac - ning gotta psykovsky has used "appudi poda poda ennara" sample in his latest album. :D check review thread he he.

Also try - Zoungla - wakefulness in sleep. You'll be surprised to hear a familiar voice :D atleast I was.

@padmapani - :D he he you weren't kidding.

course not :D

@Padmapani : 

This is not bad hi-tech. It's good hands-up music.

if you search for "happy hitech" on soundcloud you'll find much more such music than you thought was possible. apparently it's a thing now…

This is an example of where high bpm's are not your friend.  That cheesy part sounds a lot less cheesy at a lower BPM.

Superb track, as a fan of euro trance and old happy trance, this Gen Ohm track is nice if we forget about the part at 4.30.

Never heard hi-tech to be honest but I don't see what is psy about this track, it reminds me happy trance, very nice nostalgic melody.

• Like 1

Moreover, that's the kind of stuff that make people want to dig into more serious psytrance. After all, I myself first listened to extremely cheap commercial trance (Van Buren stuff, euro trance, Israeli full-on) before getting into regular, and then into the most obscure and underground parts of the scene.

no. that never happened with me. i swear. couldn't be further from the truth. please. don't tell anyone. ;)

• Like 2

I vagually guess its better then the alternative direction.. Like H&M (a international commercial clothing store chain) bringing in hippie clothes to the massers,, in some sense.. it promotes awareness (hippie - though yes it for some pisses on it - like this music you discuss) .. I like to continue writing; Consciousness Environment , peace, love, freedom. Zeitgeist, this real world

Isnt this just a.... WIN, for Psytrance (Goatrance culture) at all? The water will unavoidible become muddy when s many jums into it ... . . . . . .That the whole world is KiNdOf tuning in.. define doof

Aya(....) tribal, shanga smoking ... In Vini Vici (sesto santo really? cool) videos i see a lot of refrigirators (the rock is an awesome person by all words) and candy ravers. They have bling, be it money, glowsticks or muscles .. Infected

<(") .. + "kids Love BASS" * Grounding. Stomping.

Yahel

smth like this, ground be shaking. But yes, not much hands in the air alla Goa Trance - But damn, there is tribal energy.

https://www.facebook.com/TrancentralTV/videos/vb.535267633241585/953567408078270/?type=2&theater .... if the video im speaking is down on the list you can search on the page; "Meanwhile in Brazil...."

*i'm not a particular fan of this prog. I just sense and respect.

Bahia be dunking d'oh nuts

• 4 weeks later...

This made me chuckle/cringe.

Vini Vici is really giving psy a bad name.

F*cking hell! No wonder my friends take the piss out of me when I say I like psytrance! This should be illegal...

• Like 1

Im relatively new to the psy scene compared to you all guys, but what the heck did i just hear. Even my noob ears were able to sideline this crap track...armin is not bad by any means, but he shud stick with commercial trance... Good fucking god theres still a lot of old stuff left for me to hear

So what kind of psysound is "street credible" nowadays? What are the cool kids listening to today? Haven't listened to the stuff since mid 2000s. I've heard hi-tech, and I don't like it, too fast for my old bones...150bpm is already pushing it.

I was partial to the progressive sound, Ticon, Son Kite, Vibrasphere, the scandinavian sound. Then some of the Russian stuff. Labels I like are Parvati, iboga, stoneage, tribal vision (but they strayed away from that sound a lot). I guess the forest sound works.

the new ticon album is certainly "credible", as in deemed to be quality music by most progressive listeners.

there is no single "cool" music nowadays. the scene is pretty much split up between hitech, progressive (ranging from commercial stuff like vini vici to psytrance-like stuff like ovnimoon), uk psytrance and goa trance. with the former two dominating.

even in small-medium size cities that you'd think could barely support a single psy scene you'll find multiple types of parties populated by completely different crowds.

• 1 month later...

And now Andrew Rayel is getting on board the "psytrain," producing "psytrance."

Chanting? Check.  Rolling or chugging bass? Check. Random triplets? Check.

I blame Vini Vici for this.