Let's talk about "Lies"

Starkraver

The way I see it, truth and falsehood are just two sides of the same coin. Both can either hurt or help your situation, while the coin remains the same. You are free to choose either one. You might as well be truthful in all cases. Personally, I consider truth to be that which you observe and the expression of that observation which is accepted by the vast majority of people.

So let's do a thought experiment.

If there are 100 people in a room and all but one person agrees on some fact, regardless of whether the "fact" has been observed, even if that one naysayer truly does know the observable and proven truth, that which the 99 other people agreed upon is the truth. Further to this, it holds that we can all agree on at least 1 thing such as mortality, and so truth must exist.

The key is to take actions in life based on truth, however it manifests itself because to do otherwise would be to halt forward movement. Whether we live or die as a species is not up to any one individual.

Of course, nothing I say should be considered truth to anyone but myself unless you feel like agreeing, because you are free to choose either one.

For an education on this I highly recommend reading Umineko No Naku Koro Ni, a mystery, meta fictional, horror visual novel written by Ryukishi07.

nAxr9M6.png

https://youtu.be/0SAnMRYM4fk?t=16m48s

Sorry, but that's just bull s**t. It's a very conformist and easy way out.

Sure it WORKS that way, but that doesn't make it THE truth. To give an example - in TV when talking about WW2 it's very common for reporters to speak of "Polish concentration camps" (where Jews and other minorities were mass-murdered by Nazis) and they simply do it out of convenience, to make it shorter. In few decades I'm sure a lot of people will think those were actually Polish concentration camps, not camps established in Poland by german Nazis. In your example this will eventually become the truth, while in reality it is far from it.

Fair enough. :)

Incidentally, that's the topic suggested by Google for me today: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/11/google-frames-shapes-and-distorts-how-we-see-world

It does confirm what you're suggesting - repeat a lie enough times and it will become the truth - but that sort of shit scares the hell out of me. It's becoming increasingly difficult to tell the truth from lies  :(