Did MFG ever take drugs?

acid-brain

personally i don't know if they did, but it would have been brief at best

you would be surprised at how many producers don't do it now and didn't back in the golden age

we had a topic like this a few years ago,

alot of artists explained how difficult it would be to do just that,and i get the feeling this one will be put straight shortly

i know of a few producers who belong to this forum, especially one very respected, who makes music you would think "altered"

but not, and i like and respect that

How could you make this without drugs?

Human capability to feel the music or artistic creativity, it doesn't matter, what matters the most that we can enjoy the great music no matter the fact is someone using certain substances.

Human capability to feel the music or artistic creativity, it doesn't matter, what matters the most that we can enjoy the great music no matter the fact is someone using certain substances.

Some of best music came from artists who never even tried alchohol... or anything else and i know some...

Pure briliance and true power of human mind! :)

Im pretty sure that not one great track was made while the artists were high.

probably not too far from the truth. but i think that drugs have served as inspiration for many many artists. they can often give people different perspectives and a different perception of music that can accessed later in a sober state of mind.

if i try to pinpoint the time in an artists carreer when they make the best music, i would say it's the time coming immediately after the wildly experimental (presumably heavily drug influenced) phase. give them more time and the output "loses the magic" and becomes realatively "boring" again. i think pink floyd are an excellent example for this. before 1970 their sound is extremely psychedelic but their peak comes with more sophisticated sound of medde or dark side of the moon (or the other albums from around that time) in 1973. afterwards their music becomes more and more conventional and loses its special appeal. rock music is easier to look at in this respect because there are more years to look at and the status of the bands as stars gives us more information about their drug use.

and of course there are those kinds of geniuses like salvador dalí and frank zappa, who don't need drugs to come up with way-out there, highly psychedelic art — but imho these are the exceptions.

just look at the music of the beatles pre- and post-psychedelics. the difference is like night and day. and they were not bad musicians in any way.

Well, if you read one of the back covers in a certain CD album they released (forgot which one), they stated they were against drugs. But they might have used them beforehand to judge the experience.

I am just going to repeat what others have said. Making music while tripping (Or I suppose really intoxicated on any substance) just does not happen. It's not that you couldn't fiddle around with your gear or otherwise, it's just that you're trying desperately to answer why you would do such a thing, while you intensely stare into the fractals emerging from your popcorn ceiling. You know, you have to deal with more important issues, like why your hands don't seem to be located where they should be, or why laughter seems to be emitting from your mirror.

However, I will say that psychedelics kind of force you to come to terms with sounds and how they present themselves. We don't often realize that with sounds alone the human mind can fully realize 3-dimensional space. Our ears are designed to tell us where sounds are coming from as a survival mechanism. And when you break down all the elements of music you can physically place specific sounds in specific locations. You don't need psychedelics to affirm that, but they certainly push you towards that affirmation when your ordinary sensory input is being challenged, and with manipulation of those sounds you can suggest much more intricate and abstract physical space.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2016 at 10:39 PM, johnb820 said:

I am just going to repeat what others have said. Making music while tripping (Or I suppose really intoxicated on any substance) just does not happen. It's not that you couldn't fiddle around with your gear or otherwise, it's just that you're trying desperately to answer why you would do such a thing, while you intensely stare into the fractals emerging from your popcorn ceiling. You know, you have to deal with more important issues, like why your hands don't seem to be located where they should be, or why laughter seems to be emitting from your mirror.

However, I will say that psychedelics kind of force you to come to terms with sounds and how they present themselves. We don't often realize that with sounds alone the human mind can fully realize 3-dimensional space. Our ears are designed to tell us where sounds are coming from as a survival mechanism. And when you break down all the elements of music you can physically place specific sounds in specific locations. You don't need psychedelics to affirm that, but they certainly push you towards that affirmation when your ordinary sensory input is being challenged, and with manipulation of those sounds you can suggest much more intricate and abstract physical space.

Very well expressed

• 3 weeks later...

I never used drugs or alcohol. And I'm piss tired of having to go through this every time I play a gig somewhere and the psychoteens don't believe it at all :D I wouldn't care otherwise, but I think it's sad that most of my fans imagine I'm a huge user and are under the impression that this kind of music can't be made without mind altering substances  :( Not exactly what I hope to stand for in life.

Sorry all "psychoteens" if that sounded condescending to you, but this really bothers me, and is one of the reasons I have kept a bit of a distance to the so-called scene throughout the years.

• Like 5

I never used drugs or alcohol. And I'm piss tired of having to go through this every time I play a gig somewhere and the psychoteens don't believe it at all :D I wouldn't care otherwise, but I think it's sad that most of my fans imagine I'm a huge user and are under the impression that this kind of music can't be made without mind altering substances  :( Not exactly what I hope to stand for in life.

Sorry all "psychoteens" if that sounded condescending to you, but this really bothers me, and is one of the reasons I have kept a bit of a distance to the so-called scene throughout the years.

Amen brother