Which MIDI / control keyboard you're using?

Good choice! Let me know when you'll want to pair it with Bitwig (BTW, beta for v2.2. came up today) - I might have some advice to shorten your struggle :)

I'm still working with some old 1.3something xD Found a script for 1.3 on the bitwig forum, soo I'll simply have to see how it works out... I consider buying Bitwig 2 though, just gotta save some moneyyyy (or just wait for a crack..... it's really expensive considering you just get the updates for a year). But yeah I'll message you once I get the keyboard :)

I'm still working with some old 1.3something xD Found a script for 1.3 on the bitwig forum, soo I'll simply have to see how it works out... I consider buying Bitwig 2 though, just gotta save some moneyyyy (or just wait for a crack..... it's really expensive considering you just get the updates for a year). But yeah I'll message you once I get the keyboard :)

Come on, you're one of those people too?

No, you but what's in the current version and 12 months updates - which may well include a 3.0 version - are guaranteed for free. After that you're free to not pay and use the last version you that you've got. And then you can pay again whenever you feel new version justifies it, with additional 12 months of free updates again available. How people still read it is 12 months subscription boggles my mind. If such model encourages the team to put out meaningful updates more frequently - which based on last 6 months is happening - then I'm all for it.

Come on, you're one of those people too?

No, you but what's in the current version and 12 months updates - which may well include a 3.0 version - are guaranteed for free. After that you're free to not pay and use the last version you that you've got. And then you can pay again whenever you feel new version justifies it, with additional 12 months of free updates again available. How people still read it is 12 months subscription boggles my mind. If such model encourages the team to put out meaningful updates more frequently - which based on last 6 months is happening - then I'm all for it.

Hmm, that's a good point.. I guess it appears like a worse deal than most DAW's since it's basically the same price as Ableton but you only have to pay Ableton once, but yeah I can see it being a nice way to keep the updates high quality. And it's a bit tricky comparing since Bitwig is new in the game. A more honest statement would probably be that 350 euros is too much for me regardless of what I would spend it on lol

Hmm, that's a good point.. I guess it appears like a worse deal than most DAW's since it's basically the same price as Ableton but you only have to pay Ableton once, but yeah I can see it being a nice way to keep the updates high quality. And it's a bit tricky comparing since Bitwig is new in the game. A more honest statement would probably be that 350 euros is too much for me regardless of what I would spend it on lol

Only with FL you pay once and get lifetime updates free. With Live you pay for every full number update. Last full number update of Live was in 2013 and what it brought until now is improved sampler, RMS & peak metering, new filter algorithms, 3 Max4Live devices (so only for Suite owners), Link protocol and some free sound packs. Sure, the users didn't had to pay for 4 years, but they got very little in return.

Only with FL you pay once and get lifetime updates free. With Live you pay for every full number update. Last full number update of Live was in 2013 and what it brought until now is improved sampler, RMS & peak metering, new filter algorithms, 3 Max4Live devices (so only for Suite owners), Link protocol and some free sound packs. Sure, the users didn't had to pay for 4 years, but they got very little in return.

Huh, didnt know that. though back in 2013 I made (....post-)black metal in garageband.......

Hey, check this out - I never knew this existed and only saw smaller, separate component versions so far. Looks even more compact that either of those you're considering, works over Bluetooth, has an arpeggiator and X/Y pad:

http://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/nanokey_studio/

Oh! That one looks fun, but I already ordered a Minilab  :P Though apart from the X/Y-pad the Arturia seems more favorable to me, not sure how I feel about those "pad-keys". Have you tried playing on something similar? (I haven't)

Have you tried playing on something similar? (I haven't)

No, I didn't but considering my playing skills it wouldn't be much different. I use the keys more to quickly figure out the notes and chords I have in my head.

Let me / us know when Minilab arrives and if you're happy with it.

BTW, the bundled Analog Lab 2 (I think it's some cut-down version now, though) is pretty great as well - you can't fiddle much with the sounds, but the provided library is pretty vast and sounds great. With Renoise's plug-in grabber this should work really well for leads, pads, fx :)

No, I didn't but considering my playing skills it wouldn't be much different. I use the keys more to quickly figure out the notes and chords I have in my head.

Let me / us know when Minilab arrives and if you're happy with it.

BTW, the bundled Analog Lab 2 (I think it's some cut-down version now, though) is pretty great as well - you can't fiddle much with the sounds, but the provided library is pretty vast and sounds great. With Renoise's plug-in grabber this should work really well for leads, pads, fx :)

I guess it's alot up to preference and how used one is to regular keys, and of (course the quality of the pads/keys). 

Yeah I will, picking it up this thursday and can't wait to try it out  :D The included software looks nice yeah, haven't looked much into it but it seems to have plenty of good sounds, maybe another way to find some inspiration  :)

Haha, I thought about making an update this morning! So far I'm having lots of fun. Got it thursday but had to focus on studies whole last week so now I've finally gotten to sit with it for longer periods. I've hooked it up with both renoise and bitwig with very few issues, mainly been working bitwig. Haven't tried *every* possibility of mapping, but it surely got my creativity going again :) Right now I've got the 8 left knobs mapped to different parameters I change while on a single track, and the 8 right for more global stuff that can be modulated no matter what track is selected. Also I've realised how fun pitch bend is :D I'll probably be posting the results of my experiments in the promotional forum sooner or later !

40 minutes ago, Hasheeshian said:

Right now I've got the 8 left knobs mapped to different parameters I change while on a single track, and the 8 right for more global stuff that can be modulated no matter what track is selected. 

The same here! Are you using some dedicated Bitwig script, or just mapped it as 'generic MIDI controller with 9 knobs'?

2 hours ago, antic604 said:

The same here! Are you using some dedicated Bitwig script, or just mapped it as 'generic MIDI controller with 9 knobs'?

Found a script for it online! B)

5 hours ago, antic604 said:

@Hasheeshian Is it the one from KVR, written by Netsu? I'll have to try if it works with Mk1 and see if I can expand it with few things, namely the transport & macro banks switching with pads.

Yeah exactly! :)

16 hours ago, Hasheeshian said:

Yeah exactly! :)

Nice, it works very well with Mk1 too. I'm now in contact with Netsu to convince him to help me out adding some controls to the pads, e.g. moving between macro pages & devices, transport control, etc. Having the encoders working as intended without any additional fiddling is a game changer :)

On 2017-09-28 at 9:24 AM, antic604 said:

Nice, it works very well with Mk1 too. I'm now in contact with Netsu to convince him to help me out adding some controls to the pads, e.g. moving between macro pages & devices, transport control, etc. Having the encoders working as intended without any additional fiddling is a game changer :)

Oh sweet that it works for your controller too! :) What is "macro pages"? 

4 hours ago, antic604 said:

The knobs to the left of every device, I think in 2.0 they're called remote controls. Sorry :)

Oh I see! didn't even know they had a name :P But yeah switching between them (and devices) by using the pads sounds very nice for workflow and jamming :)

• 3 months later...

My favourite controller was a Nektar Impact 49, it had 8 volume faders, 8 pan pots and other buttons. Perfect amount for assigning soft synths to. The Nectar was pretty inexpensive (I can't remember how much) but seemed to do nearly all of the functions of a much more expensive controller.