Virtuart - Virtuart & Friends - 2CD - [DATCD009]

Anyone who's pre-ordered a copy from DAT Records online store has now received an email with the link to download the FLAC and MP3 version + the Artwork zipped in a file.

I always try to take care of all my customers... so Enjoy and Merry Christmas!!! And I am so happy to read some of you already got the CDs today, hooray!!

I always have a feeling I HAVE to love everything from DAT but sometimes the style of the music just isn't for me. There's great tracks here, but a lot of repetitious one's too. The best tracks are the most storytelling one's like Red Spirit and Prospector M. I bet a lot of these work well in sets but alone they can get a bit samey.

Still a fantastic release none-the-less. Stylistically it just isn't up my alley as much as I hoped. And I love that cover. It's a perfect modern rendition of the old one. :D

• Like 1

I always have a feeling I HAVE to love everything from DAT but sometimes the style of the music just isn't for me. There's great tracks here, but a lot of repetitious one's too. The best tracks are the most storytelling one's like Red Spirit and Prospector M. I bet a lot of these work well in sets but alone they can get a bit samey.

Still a fantastic release none-the-less. Stylistically it just isn't up my alley as much as I hoped. And I love that cover. It's a perfect modern rendition of the old one. :D

Agree, like with most 2CD releases it would be better to have just one disc with the very best tracks.

Still, in this case I really can't fault them - there's no bad tracks really, even if it does get repetitive at times.

It helps - for me at least - that the sound is so "fresh": very clean, straight and simple yet powerful. A lot of current artists trying to mimic the "old-school" style end up sounding very thin, almost to the point of amateur - but that's not how synths back then sounded like! It probably is a foreign thing for most of people, but I hear a lot of analog synths of the 80' and 90' there and I'm reminded of the times when - while in college - I'd go to music shops and play on that hardware, tweaking the sounds, experimenting with patches, fooling around with sequencers. I could never afford one at the time, but that pure, simplistic but very full, energetic sound of the old synths was so captivating! Another plus for this release is that almost all tracks are written in collaboration, which always brings that freshness into the music: different sounds, ideas, character, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great feedback!

If I may add something, the original release has always been a killer release that i have wanted to own properly pressed on CD since the 90s when i first got it on cd-r. The fact that some would have wanted just one cd, a kind of best of, would have ruined the original concept. You could see it as the original release, with added bonus tracks on CD2 and I surely wouldn't have left out any of the tracks selected :)

• Like 2

I totally agree with you draeke, "best of" would not be suitable. We need labels like DAT releasing as much as possible of old tracks to conserve them. Most of these tracks are tracks that would have vanished from the surface of earth if DAT didn't pick them up, so I am totally against selecting a few tracks and letting some tracks vanish... if CD1 was hard to get, CD2 would be impossible to get. Getting both is just more than we could have dreamt of... Having said this, I didn't find CD1 nearly as good as CD2, CD2 is a pure BEAST!!! Having this release on vinyl would be killer. I hope for my own egoistic sake that your sales drake just skyrocket for you to consider a vinyl release. Thanks for all work put down into conserving psychedelic history, cause that is what you are doing and will be remembered for ;)

I totally agree with you draeke, "best of" would not be suitable. We need labels like DAT releasing as much as possible of old tracks to conserve them. 

Well, that's disputable - I mean releasing everything that's out there regardless of its quality just for the sake of having it available, would not be wise.

But as I said, in this case - and most of DAT Rec. output - it is justifiable as there are really no weak tracks there  :wub:

Considering how great this music is, I'm really surprised that it wasn't more popular back in the day.

I also chuckled when I saw one of his aliases: Ze Rude Waiter  :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening again and again this great album !! :wub:

I'm thinking about an idea : it would be interesting to release a EP or something else with other versions of the 1st disc to ear different side of a same story !? :D

It's just an idea ;)

The versions of Disc A are more twisted and groovy than mine. More nervous maybe...

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally found the time to launch the digital editions, the release was already available on dat website as digital download and on bandcamp but soon it will also be on amazon, googleplay, beatport, itunes, spotify, etc.

I know a few people love to buy their releases all from a same store, so that's for them, hoping there are still some people who want to get the cd version, plenty copies available from dat records on dat shop, discogs or bandcamp, wherever you prefer

• Like 1