A photo of your living room

thanosp81

so what is usually the rainy season is "harsh summer" now?

wouldn't they be much more of a problem in a year with more rain than usual rather than the other way round?

@richpa

that's a really nice looking town. those ruins are surely nice to party in (as long as it isn't too bad with neighbours calling the police; it looks as if it's very close to inhabited houses.)

Almost.

And yes, sorry for being clear. This season, there has been enough rain to form small water bodies here and there followed by very high temperature = breeding ground for mosquitoes, usually temperatures are a bit milder during this time of the year but not this time and also, the not enough rain from retrieving monsoons to wash away all the mosquito eggs.

It's so scary, a guy in my brother's office died from Dangue last week. He was just 32

@Richpa - what a beautiful town!

I personally like small towns/villages over big cities.

I can't recall the climatic conditions of Croatia :/

I need a world map & GC leong book.

I think in the next few years Koeppen-Geiger classification would have to be tweaked by someone. He he

• Like 1

It is common for winds blowing towards Mediterranean regions from south to pick up some sand from Sahara.

There are just too many winds with different names given to them by different countries to be able to remember their direction and properties :/

It is common for winds blowing towards Mediterranean regions from south to pick up some sand from Sahara.

There are just too many winds with different names given to them by different countries to be able to remember their direction and properties :/

Yeah, that's not something unusual, but I did some quick research about Bura and I couldn't find any 'sand details' so I believe Anu witnessed some local Istrian myth or legend :P Anyway, winds are cool, some of them can have positive influence on humans and their behaviour while others can really be pain in the ass. Not sure about India, but I guess you have some warm winds during the whole year?

In terms of Southern winds bringing sand from the Sahara, that's always been the case here in Greece. Southern winds bring the African heat to the country and in places were the beach faces the South (like my town) it also brings humidity, exactly the opposite happens at Northern facing sea-fronts, which get dry.

The problem with strong Southern winds carrying sand is that it's not good for people with respiratory problems.

In the winter, it raises the temperature (which is good) but if it rains, it rains mud not water. Rain (even mud-rain) is always good, so the problem is really aesthetic.

In the summer, you get heat waves, which is not good at all.

• Like 1

isn't the croatian bora a wind frome north east (over the mountains towards the adriatic sea)? it would be unusual for sand from the sahara coming from the north east...

we have the opposite of bora here. the "föhn" is a warm wind coming over the alps from the south (the air heats up due to coming down from the mountains), responsible for most of the (on average) 10 days of the year when we have over 30˚C, and sometimes it carries sahara dust with it. the downside is that it only occurs for 1-3 days and always introduces front with rain and cold air.

@starkraver

i didn't know it could rain so much that it washes away the eggs. i thought more rain always leads to more mosquitos. interesting. it's logical that way.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's not something unusual, but I did some quick research about Bura and I couldn't find any 'sand details' so I believe Anu witnessed some local Istrian myth or legend :P Anyway, winds are cool, some of them can have positive influence on humans and their behaviour while others can really be pain in the ass. Not sure about India, but I guess you have some warm winds during the whole year?

yeah there's a hot dry wind that blows in the North called LOO :D he he he. Not throughout the year but for a couple of months, then there are western disturbances coming from the Mediterranean region which bring some rain during winter.

The most important winds for us are the monsoon winds upon which the almost the whole agrarian economy stands also the main source of water to the rivers in the south. Northern rivers are perennial ones they get water from the Himalayan glaciers (not sure for how many more years though)

• Like 1

In terms of Southern winds bringing sand from the Sahara, that's always been the case here in Greece. Southern winds bring the African heat to the country and in places were the beach faces the South (like my town) it also brings humidity, exactly the opposite happens at Northern facing sea-fronts, which get dry.

The problem with strong Southern winds carrying sand is that it's not good for people with respiratory problems.

In the winter, it raises the temperature (which is good) but if it rains, it rains mud not water. Rain (even mud-rain) is always good, so the problem is really aesthetic.

In the summer, you get heat waves, which is not good at all.

Also the winds from south are not good for your crops I believe. I remember reading some wind responsible for crop damage in Greece.

Also the winds from south are not good for your crops I believe. I remember reading some wind responsible for crop damage in Greece.

Not really the case anymore, agriculture production is fairly advanced here (technology wise) so even the summer heat waves (or any wind) are not really a problem for crops . Usually crops damage happens regionally from hale or floods. Lack of rain is usually a problem for certain regions of the country but I thin it's been more than 20 years that we had a serious drought, in fact it rains much more now than when I was a kid. I come from a VERY DRY agricultural town so the topic of rain is discussed every day.

• Like 1