Finland

Anu Katariina

let's post some pics of finland's steep mountains! ;)

Sure. Ridnitšohkka, the highest peak within Finland:

800px-Ridnit%C5%A1ohkka_from_Halti.JPG

(Seen from Halti which has a slope with 7 m higher elevation on Finland's side. The peak is in Norway.)

• Like 4

Regarding moderation: we don't read every single post. We rely on you to inform us of issues. That's why there's a report system on the forum.

Everyone please refresh your understanding of the Forum Rules. This is our criteria for action.

It should be obvious that topics such as the original post of this thread are likely to be controversial. Keep this in mind when replying. It's entirely possible to discuss polarizing issues without getting personal or emotional, but if you can't do this, don't reply.

• Like 2

broad beautiful highways too? :D

sure, why not ;)

(Seen from Halti which has a slope with 7 m higher elevation on Finland's side. The peak is in Norway.)

it's a shame the norwegian initiative couldn't give the peak to finland as a birthday present. fuck "territorial integrity". it would have been such a nice gesture and would have hurt no one.

On request, gentlemen:

Helsinki downtown take by me 30.12.2014

3tq0HAg.jpg

Helsinki town part Kallio (Paul Eye lives here close)

Qwqc1Ny.jpg

Tampere, my current city

U9Y4utu.jpg

Turku where i lived 13 years

JyVETwH.jpg

My hometown Vaasa

8VYitnL.jpg

Some wilderness pics:

TM9B0f9.jpg

Yemhxop.jpg

tLuhhra.jpg

JAle4Rt.jpg

gF2T0TT.jpg

Looking for gold

FRLdw5X.jpg

Wife carrying contest

XlJ1w56.jpg

metal heads @Tuska open air

F9D6esF.jpg

Stamps

5BQlCu5.jpg

• Like 5

it's a shame the norwegian initiative couldn't give the peak to finland as a birthday present. fuck "territorial integrity". it would have been such a nice gesture and would have hurt no one.

Yep.

OMG HIM! <3 My all time favorite band. Fun fact: Ive always had a guy crush on Ville eventhough Im not homosexual. Always wanted to see them live. Did you see them maybe Anu?

Also i always had a big attraction to northern countries and was wondering if you would recommend to a young aspiring student of medicine to come to your country to work? Not sure how I would learn the language in time though...

• Like 1

OMG HIM! <3 My all time favorite band. Fun fact: Ive always had a guy crush on Ville eventhough Im not homosexual. Always wanted to see them live. Did you see them maybe Anu?

Also i always had a big attraction to northern countries and was wondering if you would recommend to a young aspiring student of medicine to come to your country to work? Not sure how I would learn the language in time though...

If you are an Eu citizen you can basically jump in, if not there's gonna be much paperwork.  I suggest you apply into med students exchange programme.That's what I did in 1996 when I attended CromSic exchange programme  @ medical faculty of Rijeka

Here's contact info http://www.fimsic.org/sivu/exchanges

I think your country is really beautiful, with all these lakes and forests and your gentle and tasteful architecture which fits the nature so well. I really love Finnish architecture,  Ingvar Aalto was a genius.

I first visited Finland in 2014 but I always had some attraction to this country, we have many places with Finnish names here in Pietari and around it. My family has a dacha in Kanneljarvi ("7 lakes", right?) and there is a place called "Kuolemajarvi" not so far away from it (Death lake? sounds scary). 

Sorry for my late response. It is Alvar Aalto, not Ingvar, and I like his architecture, too. :)

So nice that your family has a dacha in a Finnish-named place, Järvi is a lake, yes, but kannel is a singular form of a string in a string instrument kantele https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantele

Kuolemajärvi translates as a death lake, indeed.

I was shorthanded of time yesterday so I answer this part now.

Hahaha, sounds so familiar. And it is hell of a cute thing! Familiar because LD boys both have a semi-"gay"crush on Ville, too, and if not a gay crush, then a crush anywayz, lol. How would I have avoided of hearing any of that, hehe? Once they were here I took them to a bar owned by Kris Kylven's friend, Jussi69 of the band 69 Eyes; there's HIM band stuff around the walls and if Ville is spotted anywhere downtown, this place is it. Kiki and Sale were sooooo excited in that bar. Kris Kylven, btw, told me that when he lived in Helsinki, Ville lived upstairs and "it was a bliss to hear Ville play there".

I have been on a HIM gig once, 31.12.2014, and this pic is from there before the doors open taken of me by a HIM fan from France. The poster I got from this gig, signed by HIM band members, I gave to Sale (of Lunar Dawn) and it is now in the prime spot of his room :)

mFimu1Y.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry for my late response. It is Alvar Aalto, not Ingvar, and I like his architecture, too. :)

So nice that your family has a dacha in a Finnish-named place, Järvi is a lake, yes, but kannel is a singular form of a string in a string instrument kantele https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantele

Kuolemajärvi translates as a death lake, indeed.

Holy cow, I've got REALLY bad memory for names.

Thanks, I knew what is kantele (iirc, from this song) but didn't relate this word to Kanneljarvi. In Russian this place is called Semiozerje (7 lakes) so I thought that the Finnish word means the same.

• Like 1