Why do my mixes lack in high end?

I showed my tracks to a few people, how know about electronic music, and they told me my mixes don't have enough high end.

I'm not sure how to fix this. Not only by EQing the master? I think it need to happen in the mixing. But i don't know how i should achieve it? Using more Saturation on the Leads?

I uploaded one mix to soundcloud so maybe you can check out and thell me what exactly you think i could do.

https://soundcloud.com/anandapsy/inhale-mix/s-3C3y5

peace,

Ananda

Hi there Ananda! I am no expert by any means, but I don't think your mixes are bad or really all that uneven. Maybe the lead melodies could be boosted a bit, but I think it's the fact that you chose a very clean arrangement that makes it sound thin and so the high end doesn't mask much below it. I might suggest increasing the volume of your closed hats (on the 16ths) by at least 2-3 db and perhaps the open hat as well by 1-2 db.

Basically, all the sounds are the same volume. There really isn't much tone established.

What i spoted:

- track is empty, you need more sounds (or maybe you want it this way)

- as i can hear you got reverb on hihats, which can eat some high end

- not good balance between low, mid and highs

- try high shelf some of the melodies but not too much, too much highs on melodies will mess with high hats

i think reverb is essential for highhats. it's just that you have to get the right amount.

often the best and easiest solution to really fixing mixing problems (especially frequency balance problems) is to upgrade to a better listening enviroment. when your speakers accentuate the highs you will always turn them down. when your speakers lack bass you will always compensate to make it sound good on your listening environment.

the only workaround is to find reference tracks (of a similar style) that you know sound great on many different systems and try to imitate the volume levels and overall balance.

thank you guys. I will try to fix things. Do you guys don't use reverb on your hi hats?

peace

Rare and if i use its on open hat or tambourine, just a bit. Never on closed hats. And my hats are mono mostly, so no reason to use it i guess.