Dynamic Range & Compression

Kitrinos

if the sound system isn't really good then even nicely-mixed-and-mastered music like (new) filteria can sound like shit compared to the mediocre fullon that comes on afterwards.

surprisingly much of oldschool goa doesn't have that problem. probably due to different kick/bass and less layers...

I disagree. I believe much of oldschool goa sounds good even in a bad sound system, because the dynamics are preserved. Something like new Filteria, as you said, might sound bad in high volumes on a shitty sound system because all the layers and the melodies are too loud, screaming for attention, and "swallowing" the bass. So, I'd blame the production/mixing and/or mastering in this case, not the shitty speakers.

And I think that's a problem in a lot of modern goa trance: the layers, melodies, sound effects etc. are often too loud, and there is where the magic is lost. Some sounds should be in the foreground and some should be in the background. Compressing and making everything louder only harms the music. 

But I unfortunately feel I belong to a minority on this  :(

• Like 1

if the sound system isn't really good then even nicely-mixed-and-mastered music like (new) filteria can sound like shit.

Something like new Filteria, as you said, might sound bad in high volumes on a shitty sound system because all the layers and the melodies are too loud, screaming for attention, and "swallowing" the bass. So, I'd blame the production/mixing and/or mastering in this case, not the shitty speakers.

i still don't see that as disagreement. some new goa makes choices in arrangement/mixing/mastering so that it sounds rubbish on shitty speakers. while i said that we shouldn't have those shitty sound systems and you say it should be mixed differently so it sounds as good as other stuff on those systems, it's clear that ideally we should listen to music that sounds good on all kinds of sound systems on a good sound system ;)  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Artha - Influencing Dreams is far from my best work.  I started wishing I could have mastered it again just after it was released, by which point it was too late.

I have noticed increasing pressure over the last few years from some clients (in general, mentioning no names) to make my masters louder.  It's not my own preference but something I sometimes feel under pressure to conform to in order to retain a clients' business - this is vital to me as I have no other income.  I'm often reluctant to stand my ground and say "No, this version is perfect" because a client who doesn't get what they want is more likely to go elsewhere next time, and because... well, I learn every day and it's mainly through constructive criticism.

• Like 2