Limited Editions

thanosp81

Starting a label that will print Limited Edition cds I am asking you what do you think makes a release to deserve the title Limited?

Is it just the number of copies?

Is it the packaging?

A sticker on the cover or the rarity of the media?

And what would be for you the ideal way to show that what you are holding in your hands is indeed limited?

A catalog number including the letters LE, an engraved number or a sticker?

The+Beatles+CD+Box+Bread+Bin+519467.jpg

R-8896306-1471105212-4184.jpeg.jpg

I'll probably be in vast minority here, but I don't care one bit for "signs" of how limited something is. I just want the damn music on a properly released CD - it can be a normal crystal clear jewel case, with plain booklet and regular silver CD for all I care.

If anything, I'd avoid any non-standard shapes / sizes, because they're difficult to put on the shelf with the rest of collection :)

I'll probably be in vast minority here, but I don't care one bit for "signs" of how limited something is. I just want the damn music on a properly released CD - it can be a normal crystal clear jewel case, with plain booklet and regular silver CD for all I care.

If anything, I'd avoid any non-standard shapes / sizes, because they're difficult to put on the shelf with the rest of collection :)

Couldn't agree more.

Couldn't agree more.

On the OTHER hand though, most younger people are fine with digital and if they are to pay for physical edition, I'd assume they'd expect something fancier, but definitely closer to the Chi-A.D. than to The Beatles :D

I guess DAT Records is pretty spot on with their policy there, with only IFO and 1st Mind Rewind with a weird jewel case being the outliers to the - more preferred, IMO - norm.

"Limited" in goa trance is a very misleading term...

Amakusa's CDs are considered "limited", they have a print of 300, but I think InnerSpace's album on Suntrip also had a print of 300 and was never considered "limited". Most labels these days print around 500. Compared to other genres, every release is "limited" in that regard. Unless you print way less than that, I would avoid that term.

If you want to designate that the copy is something special, IMO Amakusa's way of numbering them is the best.

Innerspace's album was actually considered as a limited release (SUNCDLE01). But having a sticker on a wrapper that you would throw away (except if you are of those ppl that keep the wrapping on :blink: ) doesn't make sense either.

What's wrong with IFO?

The packaging is too thick, it's glossy black (finger marks are clearly visible) and it's made of soft, very easily damaged paper.

Fine if its purpose is to look pretty on display behind glass, but if I were to actually use it every time I want to listen to the music, it'd quickly wear pretty badly.

Innerspace's album was actually considered as a limited release (SUNCDLE01). But having a sticker on a wrapper that you would throw away (except if you are of those ppl that keep the wrapping on :blink: ) doesn't make sense either.

Why not?

Limited in our case means: it will never be reprinted (the "normal" Suntrip cds had MANY reprints) and also, it is ONLY distributed via our own channels, not via Arabesque, Psyshop etc... :)

As for the amount of cds, 300 is indeed the new norm, but some more famous names reach this pretty easily, so, 500 prints is more common for a decent goa name... 

If you take a look at other branches of entertainment (besides music) you always get (under limited edition sets or boxes) some additional material. Sometimes it's different artwork, bonus audio-content or some nice goodies for die-hard collectors/fans. In music (bigger, mainstream) labels tend to follow that route, for example in metal community some labels include a wide-range of interesting items besides just CD or vinyl (music). For me personally the most important factor should be the number of copies compared to regular release.

I can't speak for other labels, but in case of Neogoa, each release brings something different than the standard edition - sometimes it's bonus content (music), sometimes it's different artwork or mastering, sometimes it's extra digital content such as visuals or download codes for new material, the important factor is to value your followers/buyers with something different and new. Also, having a limited release doesn't mean you re-printing it after it's sold-out, that's false marketing and it's a big no-no in our case - when it's gone, it's gone for good. Each release published by us has been sold-out within 1-3 months (depending on the lenght of pre-order) and we never had more than 100 CD's available for sale, the biggest number available was Energy by Veasna (printed in 150 copies, but only 100 available through Neogoa and of course Bravo/Suntrip who distributed on their webshops).

Conclusion:

Avoid false marketing

Include extra content (bonus tracks, exclusive download, alternative artwork)
Try not to have some exotic packages (digipaks and CD's are always welcomed)
Lower number of CD's printed in the beginning will give you much needed experience without (in worst scenarion) loosing too much money

Just my 0,02$ :)

• Like 2

@Anoebis I didn't say it shouldn't be limited, I just stated a fact (that it is indeed considered limited).

In the end it's up to anyone's interpretation of what is or isn't limited. The only thing I know for sure is that not anyone can have it:)

P.S. Does anyone remember Orb's "we deleted the artwork and masters" scam back in the day?

Limited NOT  :excl:

@Anoebis I didn't say it shouldn't be limited, I just stated a fact (that it is indeed considered limited).

In the end it's up to anyone's interpretation of what is or isn't limited. The only thing I know for sure is that not anyone can have it:)

P.S. Does anyone remember Orb's "we deleted the artwork and masters" scam back in the day?

Limited NOT  :excl:

please elaborate on the orb scandal??? (ears perk up in the classroom as the drama evolves)

It has to do with this release. The Orb wanted their first album to be a 3xCD. Obviously Big Life were not rdy to do that for a new artist So instead they published The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld separately, The extra cd 

Aubrey Mixes: The Ultraworld Excursions was sold separately and was available for just one day before the masters were deleted. Sure enough, very soon more copies started being pressed again with the only a slight difference. Instead of being mastered by Nimbus it was marked as Mayking.  :wacko: Even in the booklet of the 3XCD remastered version it says it was a scam just to draw attention.

Funny thing, a lot of labels still sell them as Limited Print  :excl:

I hope you haven't seen Illuminus - Sweep Dreams. The music itself is godd, but the shape, size and materials is a pure joke. I haven't seen such lame CD cover...