Imba - First Encounter [Suntrip Rec.]

I don't think cd sales depend on whether you can listen an album online or not. Especially in our music we buy for completely different reasons, are we not?

CD sales - probably not.

Overall sales - I'd imagine they do.

Or maybe I'm just old & grumpy and the artists / labels are happy enough from the advert money over at Youtube and royalties from Apple/Google/Spotify, etc.? Or they're just happy to have their music out in the public, regardless whether they get paid or not - I know I would, but I got other means to support my family. If so, props to them & disregard my comments :)

CD sales - probably not.

Overall sales - I'd imagine they do.

Or maybe I'm just old & grumpy and the artists / labels are happy enough from the advert money over at Youtube and royalties from Apple/Google/Spotify, etc.? Or they're just happy to have their music out in the public, regardless whether they get paid or not - I know I would, but I got other means to support my family. If so, props to them & disregard my comments :)

But what difference makes if its on YouTube? Everyone can download a torrent. 

• Like 1

But what difference makes if its on YouTube? Everyone can download a torrent. 

Majority of young people don't know what torrent is. They know what YouTube is :)

And I was mostly talking about the album appearing in FULL on YouTube A WEEK before release.

I don't mind doing it AFTER obviously - that's the proper way to promote your music.

advert money over at Youtube

Actually you don't earn that much money via YouTube (if you're not doing sponsored videos). For 100k views you get like 20$ from video monetization.

I can't speak from Suntrip perspective, but I guess every label who is putting some money, time and effort into releasing music prefers to have it's own music on it's own (official channel) and doing it before the release is out makes sense and it shows labels videos first during the search (YouTube algorythms have different aspects for ranking videos, but time of upload, engagement and views are welcomed and search friendly).

• Like 1

Majority of young people don't know what torrent is. They know what YouTube is :)

And I was mostly talking about the album appearing in FULL on YouTube A WEEK before release.

I don't mind doing it AFTER obviously - that's the proper way to promote your music.

I am sorry but I strongly disagree. We (and I mean we as a community) buy the cds because we want to support the artists/labels AND to have them in our library. We are not forced to buy them because we can't access them in any other way.

I do not think having access to the full album in one way or another would make any difference. 

And if there are any people that  makes a difference it is a small proportion than doesn't affect the total sales.

Of course all that is based on personal speculation  :)

• Like 1

I am sorry but I strongly disagree. We (and I mean we as a community) buy the cds because we want to support the artists/labels AND to have them in our library. We are not forced to buy them because we can't access them in any other way.

I do not think having access to the full album in one way or another would make any difference. 

And if there are any people that  makes a difference it is a small proportion than doesn't affect the total sales.

Of course all that is based on personal speculation  :)

But I'm not saying this is the case at all!

All I say is that making the album available for free a week before release is a poor commercial move. For a lot of us obviously it doesn't matter and we'll get it regardless in best possible quality (I pre-ordered my copy a month ago, mainly because it's on Suntrip, not so much because it's Imba to be completely honest...). But majority of people will simply stream from YouTube or d/l YouTube rips because it's already out there, they don't care for quality and they won't care to support the artist & label.

I for example would be really curious to see the ratio of people actually paying for "Name your price" releases on Bandcamp and I'd bet it's strongly skewed towards getting it for free. That's how people are - they'll get stuff free if they can. Making it difficult for them, e.g. have staged releases via different delivery channels is the way to go. Unless - as I said - the artist doesn't care about money & just wants the stuff out there, which is fine as well.

None of that considers (most of) people of psynews.org

I for example would be really curious to see the ratio of people actually paying for "Name your price" releases on Bandcamp and I'd bet it's strongly skewed towards getting it for free. That's how people are - they'll get stuff free if they can.

Well that is true, usually when you have already known artist you can get support for 10% of total number of downloads, even it doesn't cover all the expenses it helps to keep things running and thank God, Goa trance scene still have a lot of people who are recognizing this. It is also one of the ways how audience/fans can be involved into work of the label, they're directly investing their money into music and the quality of certain release. I know it might sound too cliche, but every release that pops up on Bandcamp or any other digital platform is ripped within a day (no matter is it free, name your price or has some price attached to). That's just the way how things works nowdays.

I have to get back to YouTube, even it's just a minor part of whole release process, but believe it or not, 200 views on certain videos (prior to the release) means more than having your video published after the release of album/compilation, because if you're creating video with all info and links, it connects new audience with the work of label and artist. Unlike Facebook, where suggestion pages aren't in pair with preffered interest of certain music lover, YouTube still have good algorythm that suggests videos and channels in appropriate way. The other way is when it comes to building the audience on YouTube, it's hard to get new subscribers and people who will be returning visitors to channel, but for example when you post new content to (let's say 1000 followers on Facebook) it will be visible to 100-200 people, but when you post new video on YouTube, every subscriber gets the notification and it's visible at his index page of YouTube. That is big and important difference.

I know it might seem confusing and weird, but when you get into these things it actually makes sense and you can feel the difference after some time. For me personally, I keep my subscription list on YouTube updated and I actually like when I get the email that new Proxeeus or Imba album/track is available for streaming directly from label's YouTube channel, and truth to be told a lot of (younger) Goa heads prefer YouTube as their main source for new music and releases.

Sorry for offtopic

Actually you don't earn that much money via YouTube (if you're not doing sponsored videos). For 100k views you get like 20$ from video monetization.

I can't speak from Suntrip perspective, but I guess every label who is putting some money, time and effort into releasing music prefers to have it's own music on it's own (official channel) and doing it before the release is out makes sense and it shows labels videos first during the search (YouTube algorythms have different aspects for ranking videos, but time of upload, engagement and views are welcomed and search friendly).

That could be the case, still it makes more sense to post them at or few days after the release date.

This is what Nano Rec. is actually doing (+ posting full albums on Soundcloud) which - from my personal perspective, at least - worked against them because I've not purchased several releases that I would have if it wasn't for those full YouTube/Soundcloud "previews" :)

Suntrip is proud to finish this year with the debut-album of Imba! :) After 3 years of hard work he created something different. Pure goa-trance with awesome production, and a story that brings you back to the 90s! Floating, grooving and trancy! :) The album is for sale on the Suntrip shop and bandcamp at the moment! It will be available allover at the end of the week! :) Enjoy this one in the cold winter days! :)

https://www.suntriprecords.com/product/item/SUNCD44/

https://suntriprecords.bandcamp.com/album/imba-first-encounter

• Like 2

As for the sales, my huge file I published last year, will be published again this year... Around march we have all sales (digital included) so we have a clear look what happened on that front in 2016 ;) For now, enjoy Imbaaaaaaaaaa

I for example would be really curious to see the ratio of people actually paying for "Name your price" releases on Bandcamp and I'd bet it's strongly skewed towards getting it for free. That's how people are - they'll get stuff free if they can.

i never want to be the cheap guy who puts in 0€. so if i don't want to pay the full price for a physical album, i wait patiently until it turns up as a torrent, which doesn't ask me how much i want to pay ;)

• 4 weeks later...

i never want to be the cheap guy who puts in 0€. so if i don't want to pay the full price for a physical album, i wait patiently until it turns up as a torrent, which doesn't ask me how much i want to pay ;)

If I like the music and store it on my HDD, I pay (and yes, more than just on dollar)... It is about principles how to make a clean deal.

If I like the music and store it on my HDD, I pay (and yes, more than just on dollar)... It is about principles how to make a clean deal.

i store a lot more music on my drive than i would want to (or probably even could) pay for. it is no ones disatvantage if i have more music than i actually like. everything that i find to be actually good (and available on cd; in a way that the artist/label gets a share) i will buy.

I feel bad I have yet to listen to this album. Unfortunately I was basically homeless for most of December and lost virtually all of my possessions. I don't have the money to buy this just yet but I will have to give it a listen on YouTube or bandcamp.

OMG! What happened? Hope you're OK now? :(

OMG! What happened? Hope you're OK now? :(

Yea so I was evicted for being late on rent. Since I do not own a car or have anyone that could help me move my stuff I had to leave almost everything behind. The landlord was not too happy about that but oh well.

I am OK now. I found a room to rent earlier this past week but I did spend nearly a month sleeping in whatever 24 hour public buildings I could find. It was pretty insane.

• 3 weeks later...

wow. that video looks like the videos i'm only used to seeing from belgium (including the excitement of the people). i'm amazed that you can fill such a large venue with people in a city of 250000 people with goa trance. over here you need to book astrix to get an audience of that size (and then people won't be dancing like that ;) ). respect to the serbian scene; i'm jealous ;)

wow. that video looks like the videos i'm only used to seeing from belgium (including the excitement of the people). i'm amazed that you can fill such a large venue with people in a city of 250000 people with goa trance. over here you need to book astrix to get an audience of that size (and then people won't be dancing like that ;) ). respect to the serbian scene; i'm jealous ;)

It was totally unexpected to have so much crowd but story and project was amazing. Goasia live after 10 years + First Encounter promotion... we had people from France, Germany, Turkey and whole Balkan. A supergood party! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I feel bad I have yet to listen to this album. Unfortunately I was basically homeless for most of December and lost virtually all of my possessions. I don't have the money to buy this just yet but I will have to give it a listen on YouTube or bandcamp.

Man, I don't know you but hang in there buddy. My thoughts are with you.
  • Like 1