Ticon - Mirage (Iboga Records) - new album!

@all,

Never really bothered to check this out - prog usually bores me to death - but the hype here got me interested.

Any other recent(-ish) albums in similar vein that you hold in high regard?

EDIT: just checked some more recent Iboga releases - Ticon, Ace Ventura, Vini Vici, Sideform - and they do sound the same & boring to me. Only Tripswitch stands out (very positively!) which is surprising after it was labelled "Dance" by Psyshop...

Ticon will always have a place in my heart for releasing two bombs in

the early 00' era ( Lo Mi Hi, the original and the atmos remix. and 'We are the Mammoth Hunters. original and the amazing M.O.S remix).

Album sounds nice, will defenatly cheack it out.

=)

Ticon have gone through a couple of different "styles" over the year

If you're new to Ticon, I'd encourage you to check out ZeroSixAfter and Aero first.

Their debut, Rewind, while good, is a bit too minimal tuba-trance style

2am is great, but starts getting more electro-house fringe (kind of like X-Dream "We Interface" album strayed)

Their last album, I Love You, Who Are You is okay, but it's a little too bland and generic progressive house sounding. It has a couple of really choice cuts on it, and the album has grown on me over time, but it's nothing I would encourage anyone to get introduced to Ticon with

But Aero and ZeroSixAfter, holy shit. Those are just top-to-bottom brilliant albums.

Mirage sounds like it is more inline with those albums than their other more recent ones.

I'm super duper fantastically excited!!

zerosixafter is ok. a bit housey but decent. the other albums (except the 7th portal, which sadly has pretty bad production, but is otherwise really good) have always seemed to be too boring/housey/standard to even download them. so i'm really surprised about how good these samples sound. definitely better than zerosixafter...

Well, it is prog. And pretty typical kind of it, but it is extremely well made. I'm talking not only about the production (afaik, the Ticon guys use some quality hardware so it is out of the question), but the overall feel of the music. Prog done right. I think it is waay better than Ace Ventura or Vidi Vici

Like, not to be a broken record, but Ticon and Ace Ventura should never be spoken of in the same sentence.

They're entirely different music.

One has created hours of depth ranging in sounds and textures leading the listener on a journey through multiple states of trance; created by a mixture of analog, organic, and digital sounds.

The other is Ace Ventura. One of the most overhyped, overpriced, overrated artists. Fuck, even Infected Mushroom are more interesting than he is.

Like, not to be a broken record, but Ticon and Ace Ventura should never be spoken of in the same sentence.

They're entirely different music.

One has created hours of depth ranging in sounds and textures leading the listener on a journey through multiple states of trance; created by a mixture of analog, organic, and digital sounds.

The other is Ace Ventura. One of the most overhyped, overpriced, overrated artists. Fuck, even Infected Mushroom are more interesting than he is.

sorry i disagree there, ace ventura is not that bad, way better than im in my opinion, and good live

def one of the better prog artists that's for sure, different strokes and all that

but this ticon is good, and i may even get it

So I guess I should more consider Ticon together with the artists like Son Kite, Beat Bizarre, Sensient, Tetrameth or Jaia (his "Fiction" album)? If so, I'm putting it in my Psyshop order right away! :)

I'd suggest you to check out the track I've posted above in this thread. It is not on the album but the album is more or less in the same vein.

So I guess I should more consider Ticon together with the artists like Son Kite, Beat Bizarre, Sensient, Tetrameth or Jaia (his "Fiction" album)? If so, I'm putting it in my Psyshop order right away! :)

I would definitely snuggle Ticon together with this grouping that the likes of Ace Ventura and Perfect Stranger

The samples at Psyshop do not really do it justice - all I could hear was the same "jumpy" bassline over & over... But then I went to YouTube and quickly browsed through all of it and ...ordered it immediately! along with Beat Bizarre's "Pandora's Groovebox" (last copy @ Psyshop.com apparently), Jaia's "Re:works" and Tripswitch's "Vagabond".

Should make for a pretty diverse & awesome blend of proggy goodness :)