Crossing Mind - Beyond Duality (SUNCD42)

Yes, he did change some stuff for this album... he added more "atmospheric" melodies as he called it instead of just the phrenetic typical CM spirals :) He felt there was place for more emotions in his music... This will give it a retro feeling here and there as soom melodies indeed nintendo like, but on top of that you get the usual spiral madness of course :)

I didn't enjoy his previous album, but the new samples sound much more attractive to me. More melodies!

This is such an incredible upgrade to his style and technique, I am really impressed, it's like Crossing Mind^3 , very good production, clever ideas and mad skills. I am so happy the way things went with this artist and congrats with this new album :)!

• Like 1

Awesome Job! Listened to the samples and it's already one of my top 10 albums of this year. Loved his last album and you can hear the change between the two. And this change is a good kind. Definitely one of the unique artists in this scene and a great inspiration.

Thanks for all the comments! :)

I just discovered the option of pre-orders on bandcamp... So I will take care of that :) on monday it will be widely available (Suntrip shop and bandcamp) :)

Awesome! BTW, will you have Proxeeus' album in Suntrip's shop? They release on the same day (according to Arabesque).

Ok, so what's the consensus?

Personally, I was very hyped for it - and probably was the 1st one to purchase it over at Bandcamp :) - but now I'm on the verge of actually erasing the files from my devices, because I'm so disappointed... Some tracks - "Cyclotron" (that bit at 8:10!!!) and "No Hazardous Material Signs" (the wiggly "acid" line at 5:55!!!) in particular - still retain that incredible storytelling and musical sensibility, with well-timed key changes and captivating melodies. But most is messy, sloppy and chaotic with a lot of false sounding or incredibly tacky / cheesy melodies and instruments and no real structure to the songs (e.g. "The Foolish Mind" at 3:20, "Alpha Centauri" at 3:10). They'd usually start great and most of the time the finish is also interesting, but in the middle it's difficult to bare. In his previous albums those chaotic melodies were also there, but usually relegated to the background, while the main focus was drawn to the elongated, less crazy and more carefully constructed melodies spanning and developing for more than 4 bars. It's like reverse Filteria, who went from crazy and ADHD-like melodies in his early work to more though-through and as a result much more impactful melodies in his later creations.

I'll keep listening because I've been wrong in the past (therefore it's not a full review yet) but so far it's been a huge let down for me :(

Personally, I was very hyped for it - and probably was the 1st one to purchase it over at Bandcamp :) - but now I'm on the verge of actually erasing the files from my devices, because I'm so disappointed... Some tracks - "Cyclotron" (that bit at 8:10!!!) and "No Hazardous Material Signs" (the wiggly "acid" line at 5:55!!!) in particular - still retain that incredible storytelling and musical sensibility, with well-timed key changes and captivating melodies. But most is messy, sloppy and chaotic with a lot of false sounding or incredibly tacky / cheesy melodies and instruments and no real structure to the songs (e.g. "The Foolish Mind" at 3:20, "Alpha Centauri" at 3:10). They'd usually start great and most of the time the finish is also interesting, but in the middle it's difficult to bare. In his previous albums those chaotic melodies were also there, but usually relegated to the background, while the main focus was drawn to the elongated, less crazy and more carefully constructed melodies spanning and developing for more than 4 bars. It's like reverse Filteria, who went from crazy and ADHD-like melodies in his early work to more though-through and as a result much more impactful melodies in his later creations.

I'll keep listening because I've been wrong in the past (therefore it's not a full review yet) but so far it's been a huge let down for me :(

Well, honesty is a virtue.  :)

• Like 1

BTW, need to comment on mastering - those that complained last time about harsh, sharp and piercing sounds should be happy to know they're mostly gone and instead the bass got a bit more prominence in the mix. As a result, the mastering is clearer, more punchy but still retains that trademark "holowness" of Crossing Mind - probably owing to a non-resonant low-pass filter applied to bass and selected mid-range sounds (acid lines, kick & snares), to create more space for melodies? - which I frankly like very much, but it's arguably an acquired taste.

Really good work there!  :)

But most is messy, sloppy and chaotic with a lot of false sounding or incredibly tacky / cheesy melodies and instruments and no real structure to the songs (e.g. "The Foolish Mind" at 3:20, "Alpha Centauri" at 3:10).

Oh man, I disagree so much. These parts are awesome.

I am easily disappointed by Goa music. I've quite disliked many of the recent Suntrip releases (like City of Moons), and I am always honnest in my opinions.

I do think however that the Crossing Mind project has a certain style whose apex consists in harmony, precision, and antichaotic stuff, and I understand your uneasiness. He is doing with his music something contingent, that he could not have done.

But I do consider that these experimentations are most tasty, extremely enjoyable, and really moving. They do touch my heart. But contrary to his last album, I feel more energy in this one.

I also firmly disagree about the supposed 'cheesiness' of this sound. These sounds are unique. They are sweet and child-like, but I've never heard something like this before. This sweetness is the part that I like most. They are like little characters diving into a major phantasmagoric whirlpool. In other words, sweet melodies create an epic story-telling that adds a profound dimension to the music.

This album is fantastic. But it is not the Grand Oeuvre of Crossing Mind.

• Like 1

I've been listening at bandcamp and haven't made the purchase yet (possibly won't). A few years ago I would've pre-ordered on day 1, but as a large part of my CDs just sit in the cupboard

waiting to be listened, I can't justify the purchase of a CD I don't thoroughly enjoy. I'll give it at least a few more listens though.

Edit: There are moments when this album is pure bliss though.

Oh man, I disagree so much. These parts are awesome.

I am easily disappointed by Goa music. I've quite disliked many of the recent Suntrip releases (like City of Moons), and I am always honnest in my opinions.

I do think however that the Crossing Mind project has a certain style whose apex consists in harmony, precision, and antichaotic stuff, and I understand your uneasiness. He is doing with his music something contingent, that he could not have done.

But I do consider that these experimentations are most tasty, extremely enjoyable, and really moving. They do touch my heart. But contrary to his last album, I feel more energy in this one.

I also firmly disagree about the supposed 'cheesiness' of this sound. These sounds are unique. They are sweet and child-like, but I've never heard something like this before. This sweetness is the part that I like most. They are like little characters diving into a major phantasmagoric whirlpool. In other words, sweet melodies create an epic story-telling that adds a profound dimension to the music.

This album is fantastic. But it is not the Grand Oeuvre of Crossing Mind.

Yes, I'm fully aware that this chaotic style (a lot of old Israeli stuff, early Filteria, Total Eclipse, Muses Rapt) has a lot of advocates; it's just not for me. And your description - "sweet and child-like" - is probably what's putting me off the most. I for example find those small changes of pitch at the tail-ends of some notes to be completely annoying and cheesy, while others may find them as emotional or ecstatic and I can even see that, but that's not what I look for in psychedelic goa trance.

I've been listening at bandcamp and haven't made the purchase yet (possibly won't). A few years ago I would've pre-ordered on day 1, but as a large part of my CDs just sit in the cupboard

waiting to be listened, I can't justify the purchase of a CD I don't thoroughly enjoy. I'll give it at least a few more listens though.

Don't take my word for it, as it is clear others find it great (see above). Listen for yourself.

If we learned one thing with Crossing Mind is that his chaotic style is for sure not everyones cup of tea... And thats clearly here as well, some say a masterpiece and others dont like it... Ah well yes, the new melodies on the background have for sure a retro (some even said 16 bit) feeling... :) but each their own I guess :) I'm happy the mastering pleased even the most critical ones so far... And for me it is emotional and catchy :)

BUT, it is now released, so go for it :D

https://www.suntriprecords.com/release/cat/SUNCD42/

https://suntriprecords.bandcamp.com/

• Like 1

I definitely see how this would be appealing to some, but unfortunately, not for me. I enjoyed a few of its moments, but on the others I couldnt get how unarticulate it was for my taste. :unsure: