RA - Earthcall (Suntrip Records)

mars

Who can recommend anything in the same vein as Earthcall? 24 listens later I don't know if I'll be able to seperate myself from these deep melodies without some help....Not that I want to.

i find it pretty good but 9th is much better i think

if you never listened to electron wave you can give their album a try

I completely underestimated this when it came out. For me, this is Ra's most mature album and leaps and bounds over what they did in the past. The arrangements are amazing, it's like you can walk around in them.

I can liken it to Aavepyora - Hengen Aurinko. Both albums have a strong emphasis on songwriting and storytelling, so that by the end you feel like you've listened to a kind of electronic symphony and not just a collection of tracks.

after my appreciation of artha's new album has levelled out (not decreased, mind you), i find that my enjoyment of this album is still growing. the first half the predator remix is stellar — something that has stood out to be at the first listen — the original sounds bland and dull in comparison, but lately i'm really enjoying the mystical last section of sacred sands and crossing planet. the latter reminds me of ROM but is even more energetic and intense.

12th hour is supposed to fill the role of the euphoric trancy morning track that time current has on 9th, but while it's more dancable it doesn't have the same magic.

terra and  touch a star are both good and up to ra's standards, but not as spectacular as the rest. causatum is rather boring compared to light receiver or sirius.

all in all i think that earthcall, while not quite as good as 9th, is on par with to sirius. stylistically it's somewhere between the darker mysterious sound of to sirius and the clean smooth feel of 9th.

tl;dr: everything by ra is an instant classic.

• 1 month later...

I can liken it to Aavepyora - Hengen Aurinko. Both albums have a strong emphasis on songwriting and storytelling, so that by the end you feel like you've listened to a kind of electronic symphony and not just a collection of tracks.

Just listened to the album twice. I see what you mean in story telling. album is fire. it took a while to stop day dreaming about hearing mix of 'a Goa trance for lately bass' and 'Edward Maya's & Vika Jigulina's - Stereo Love' had a quick attempt at mashing them together (It did not work).

Thanks for the reco, bought the album a few minutes ago

• 2 years later...