Artha - Dream Telepathy (Cronomi Records)

Richpa

So I have to say the album is not such good as I dreamed.

The first two tracks is brilliance, but the rest ones is... no, I don't want to say it, but I have to... some kind of boring.

That's how I saw "Dream Telepathy" at the first time.

I was getting my hate goggles on when I started listening. I never was an Artha fan because I always thought that he is capable of making a few good tracks, while the rest of the album just isnt as good. Yeah... That is no longer true!

I absolutely LOVE this album. His sound has matured while still retaining his own style.

The first two tracks is brilliance, but the rest ones is... no, I don't want to say it, but I have to... some kind of boring.

I actually agree with him. The first half of the album is superior to the other but its still a great album. Favorite tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Just love Cronomi Records! They are on fire with their releases. Hope that we will start getting more frequent releases from them.

Just love Cronomi Records! They are on fire with their releases. Hope that we will start getting more frequent releases from them.

Why? We already have labels that release music like crazy.

We also need the labels the release once in a blue moon.

Why? We already have labels that release music like crazy.

We also need the labels the release once in a blue moon.

More frequent releases doesnt have to mean that the quality will drop. I would just like to see them get bigger as they deserve to be. I want to see more from them because they have released great quality content everytime, and when I see their name- I know its going to be good.

Dont see why you wouldnt you want more music from a great record house.

I'm actually with Thanos on this one. With cronomi you get one or two albums/year which even without listening you'll know that they are gonna be in top 5. With more releases the quality will go down, as they said themselves they are all working individuals who take time out to release music, if there are able to release 1/2 albums it's ok by me. I don't want them to put pressure on themselves & compromise on quality.

I love all cronomi albums, even the paysutra album.

There are only few more labels for which I can say the same. Schlabbaduerst rekkords, ultimae & Devils Mind Records. Sadly cronomi is the only 1 when it comes to Goa. (Personal opinion)

If they can release more while keeping the same quality then I'll come to Belgium & give them a hug.

Suntrip is just there but with the amount of releases one or 2 are bound to be not so good. They are like Mercs in F1, the big guns, it may happen that they lose out in 1 or 2 races. But that's ok.

Edit : one more thing, are you purposefully avoiding psynews? Don't let that dickhead get to you bro.

I just love how old-school this album sounds and how Artha took the Hallucinogen (and its "derivatives") sound as an inspiration and made it his own, with those signature swirly synths, heavy bass lines and lots of swooshy, noisy FX. It's also refreshing, that this somehow avoids most of the current day neo-Goa cliches, drawing heavily from the legacy of the original psychedelic trance, rather than melodic goa, even if it is unashamedly melodic at times.

• "A Way To Target" is one of the best triplet trance tracks, very funky and acidic and with a great transition to Juno Reactor-like dreamy atmosphere in 2nd part.
  • "Monkeys" captured my attention because of cleverly used spoken samples and that nostalgic, long main theme played with slowly oscillating synth.
  • "Theory of The Ghost" sounds like a collaboration with Eat Static with machine gun, train-like bassline and laser kick, but at around 4:00 mark a melodic riff reminds that it's Artha after all. Very good, hypnotic track, even though the main melodic hook could be elaborated more.
  • "El Es Di" stole my heart with those bells appearing in- and out- throughout the tune, wobbly SH-101 synth lines, ring-modulated acid lines and overall "dirt" in the production, i.e. the lo-fi drums. Great track.
  • "Mahabharata (Live Version)" immediately sends you flying with that wiggly acid line, but then somehow fails to build and sustain the energy; there's some excitement introduced by new melodic lines at 4:15 and then 5:55, but for my liking the track "starts" to early (and ends to abruptly, as well) and loses some of the dramatism it could otherwise have. Very good track, still.
  • "Dream Telepathy" I don't really like, because the chopped-up singing and heavily distorter acid line make it seem much slower than it really is; the 2nd part pulls it up a bit with some great melodic work, but I was disappointed with the part at 7:20 - when it really gets interesting - not getting developed any further... BTW, it's fascinating how often artists pick a name of the album after the weakest - IMO, of course - track.
  • "Secret Trip" is a return to form though, with heavy Shakta ("Silicon Trip" album) and Hallucinogen influences  - 1st half is a bit understated, with different ideas thrown about but then it gets really great in the middle, with that Soothsayer / Gamma Goblins-like bubbly acid synth(s) and heavily echoed Indian chanting. It's all laid back and not very driving, but all the details in the background - e.g. that delicate, "angelic" riffs - create a very captivating atmosphere,
  • "Flutes" takes a bit too long until it gets going, but when it does it's really good, very Shpongly, mixing live flute with gentle acid lines. One thing I wasn't particularly fond of is the spoken sample, that doesn't really make any sense in the context.

Overall, it's a strong 4/5 from me, mainly because I'm not always convinced by the arrangements of certain tracks that somehow lose steam or fail to build up the energy altogether; and because of the length - one more track could have easily been squeezed in.

In terms of mastering, I'd probably preferred this to put a little less emphasis on bass and ever so slightly slightly more on the hi-hats which would've benefited the overall clarity (mastering of Artha's track on V/A "If I wasn't human..." was on point, IMO), but it's great anyway: meaty, detailed and very pleasant on headphones.

• Like 3

In terms of mastering, I'd probably preferred this to put a little less emphasis on bass and ever so slightly slightly more on the hi-hats which would've benefited the overall clarity (mastering of Artha's track on V/A "If I wasn't human..." was on point, IMO), but it's great anyway: meaty, detailed and very pleasant on headphones.

After a couple of full listens, I am enjoying the album more than you (4.5 from me... so far) but I definitely agree with you about the mastering. I have a preset equalizer for psytrance that seems to work perfectly with just about any album, but with this album in particular it's a little more cloudy on the high end than I'd like. A small tweak does get the sound to sparkle at the level I want it to, but it is definitely something to note.

A warmer master is still much better than an overly sibilant one though.

Time to reply all you, my cute puppies who were brave enough to speak your mind in a honest way...  :wub:

The fact there are so many reactions to a single release says enough.

here we go:

A warmer master is still much better than an overly sibilant one though.

Exactly: and - I explained that already on this forum - Artha's music was a bit hard mixed on the high tones, so this type of mastering (without not willing to be responsible for any ear damage) we decided for this version, that appeared on the album.

Yes it is a bit more basy, BUT it was - after long discussions and internal debate - the best option.

Mathias (aka Dragon Twins who is sound engineer), Sara (aka dj Psara) and I decided that this - out of 2 versions - sounded the best on our monitors (Equator D7 and Adams F7).

More frequent releases doesnt have to mean that the quality will drop. I would just like to see them get bigger as they deserve to be. I want to see more from them because they have released great quality content everytime, and when I see their name- I know its going to be good.
Dont see why you wouldnt you want more music from a great record house.

In our humble opinion there is too little excellent newer goa trance that is worth releasing. (here we go? :P)

We are as big as it can be according to the standards we have set to ourselves and what we accept as quality music that is good enough to be durable over the decades to come.

That is why we accept all feedback here and always try - as much as it is possible - to integrate it into Cronomi. In that way all well funded feedback is assimilated in the label: in other words, you are Cronomi.

Yes, we make it quiet difficult on ourselves, but at the same time very easy: we know exactly want we want. makes it very easy to scroll trough the promotional materials we receive.

Yes, our promo isd a bit obscure, BUT I'm grown up in a time without internet and cell phones and we had to look for new music. And we still believe that: good music always promotes itself. No need to 'push' people online into it by spamming them (...I found that out by reading it into those exact words into a promotional group just a few weeks ago. Confirming what I was already thinking for some years now).

I have to apologize @Happy Horse and the artist also of my previous position of this album on Label news section: I don't know what I was thinking but soundcloud samples didn't get me and I was also unhappy of a non-customer friendly marketing with a review coming too early like some smaller circle basketweaving and even without artwork at that point if I remember right.

But I'd be pathetic if I didn't live up to my motto "There was never even an option for me to let anything or anyone come between me and music" and didn't let the music speak for itself now that it is on hand.

If I was a guy I'd get a boner on this release but cuz I am a girl I don't know what I am getting but butterflies (or bees according to the artwork) anyways. This Is a major album of 2016 with all psychedelia that I don't remember any other release has delivered on this level for a long time.

Fav tracks: 1. Dream Telepathy, 2. Mahabharta 3. Secret trip

Artwork: 5/5

Overall rating 4,5/5

You don't need to apologise, BUT it makes my hart warm you find the time to do so :)

I'm trilled to see this music triggered your mind. This is a huge compliment to Artha himself.

We are happy the music itself -and not a hype or hollow internet promo - made change your mind.

And you see dreams are always surpassed by the reality. :)

Geez this album is unreal. Got the CD on Wednesday and now been on repeat like 50++ times. Thank you big time Cronomi..just extra thank you: so extraorninary it is!

THX, and never forget, you are very welcome ;)

I just love how old-school this album sounds and how Artha took the Hallucinogen (and its "derivatives") sound as an inspiration and made it his own, with those signature swirly synths, heavy bass lines and lots of swooshy, noisy FX. It's also refreshing, that this somehow avoids most of the current day neo-Goa cliches, drawing heavily from the legacy of the original psychedelic trance, rather than melodic goa, even if it is unashamedly melodic at times.

• "A Way To Target" is one of the best triplet trance tracks, very funky and acidic and with a great transition to Juno Reactor-like dreamy atmosphere in 2nd part.
  • "Monkeys" captured my attention because of cleverly used spoken samples and that nostalgic, long main theme played with slowly oscillating synth.
  • "Theory of The Ghost" sounds like a collaboration with Eat Static with machine gun, train-like bassline and laser kick, but at around 4:00 mark a melodic riff reminds that it's Artha after all. Very good, hypnotic track, even though the main melodic hook could be elaborated more.
  • "El Es Di" stole my heart with those bells appearing in- and out- throughout the tune, wobbly SH-101 synth lines, ring-modulated acid lines and overall "dirt" in the production, i.e. the lo-fi drums. Great track.
  • "Mahabharata (Live Version)" immediately sends you flying with that wiggly acid line, but then somehow fails to build and sustain the energy; there's some excitement introduced by new melodic lines at 4:15 and then 5:55, but for my liking the track "starts" to early (and ends to abruptly, as well) and loses some of the dramatism it could otherwise have. Very good track, still.
  • "Dream Telepathy" I don't really like, because the chopped-up singing and heavily distorter acid line make it seem much slower than it really is; the 2nd part pulls it up a bit with some great melodic work, but I was disappointed with the part at 7:20 - when it really gets interesting - not getting developed any further... BTW, it's fascinating how often artists pick a name of the album after the weakest - IMO, of course - track.
  • "Secret Trip" is a return to form though, with heavy Shakta ("Silicon Trip" album) and Hallucinogen influences  - 1st half is a bit understated, with different ideas thrown about but then it gets really great in the middle, with that Soothsayer / Gamma Goblins-like bubbly acid synth(s) and heavily echoed Indian chanting. It's all laid back and not very driving, but all the details in the background - e.g. that delicate, "angelic" riffs - create a very captivating atmosphere,
  • "Flutes" takes a bit too long until it gets going, but when it does it's really good, very Shpongly, mixing live flute with gentle acid lines. One thing I wasn't particularly fond of is the spoken sample, that doesn't really make any sense in the context.

Overall, it's a strong 4/5 from me, mainly because I'm not always convinced by the arrangements of certain tracks that somehow lose steam or fail to build up the energy altogether; and because of the length - one more track could have easily been squeezed in.

THX for your detailed comment. I surprises me every time, that Cronomi gets mainly the most detailed feedback on their releases. I'm wondering why :)

In general: let us not forget - not to dismiss your feedback here - we are only human, so is the artist. We always make the choices inside Cronomi very very,... well thought. We sleep sometimes several weeks over 1 decision (like the mastering). It never goes over one or two night.

We even hold skype-meetings to discuss and further discuss some matters. Trough a democratic process we aim for the best quality achievable.

• Like 3

When I said I wanted Cronomi to get bigger and that I wanted more releases, I meant that in the best possible way. Guess it came out wrong somehow.

Never the less, thank you and the artist for this release. It really is great! Also cant wait for the next one which you mentioned in the "Portamento - The Portal" review thread.

Cheers! :)

• Like 1

After the first listening I repeat the experience...

And now I listen "DT" to the tenth time.

Hell, I was wrong - it is cool thing.

And that's fine.

Tracks 4 and 5 is still not what I like to listen, but others - is great.

Exactly: and - I explained that already on this forum - Artha's music was a bit hard mixed on the high tones, so this type of mastering (without not willing to be responsible for any ear damage) we decided for this version, that appeared on the album.

Yes it is a bit more basy, BUT it was - after long discussions and internal debate - the best option.

Mathias (aka Dragon Twins who is sound engineer), Sara (aka dj Psara) and I decided that this - out of 2 versions - sounded the best on our monitors (Equator D7 and Adams F7).

i actually ended up going back to my original psytrance preset (without the increased mids/highs) for my next round of listening as some of the high tones (by about halfway through the album) were too piercing.

having those high tones going constantly for 70 minutes makes for an exhausting experience. once i toned it down, it was much more relaxing.

that seems to be one of the hallmarks of artha's production... his music is intense and exhilarating, but it has this gentleness to it that separates itself from the standard goa album. a perfect example of this is track 03, theory of the ghost. the bassline sounds almost like dark psy (which i rarely ever like) but it somehow retains a friendly groove without descending into chaos.

i actually ended up going back to my original psytrance preset (without the increased mids/highs) for my next round of listening as some of the high tones (by about halfway through the album) were too piercing.

having those high tones going constantly for 70 minutes makes for an exhausting experience. once i toned it down, it was much more relaxing.

that seems to be one of the hallmarks of artha's production... his music is intense and exhilarating, but it has this gentleness to it that separates itself from the standard goa album. a perfect example of this is track 03, theory of the ghost. the bassline sounds almost like dark psy (which i rarely ever like) but it somehow retains a friendly groove without descending into chaos.

I think that is the most spot on I've read so far; regarding an analytic approach on Artha's music.

I feel the same way. You understand the music & the why of this mastering :)

In general: it makes me happy Artha's music loosens so many (positive) emotions.

Ok. I take some more listens:

A Way To Target - Its has triplets and dont like triplets. But ok, here it works. And with the melody@3:35 it is cool. :)

Monkeys - One of my favorites here. Like I say above it reminds on "Midian" by Blue Planet Corperation. I dont like the vocals in the break@6:03.

Theory of The Ghost - Its good but to repetitive for me.

El Es Di - Cheesy/cliche name for a track! Nice progression. Very good melody@5:07 :-) And nice trancy ending!

Mahabharata (Live Version) - Best track on the album. Cool melodys and a much of energy here.

Dream Telepathy - Oldschoolish beginning. I like it. :-) I dont like the (cutted) vocals. Also in the break@3:58! The melody after is cool!

Secret Trip - Weakest Track on the album. Its starts very good with nice melodies and sounds. The high pitched indian chanting destroyes the track. Its sounds cheesy and is full of cliche and its to long.

Flutes - Its an nice ending for the album. The flute is cool.

Favorites: 2,4,5

Final Words: Its a little bit better than his predecessor. I give 4/5 Points!

• 3 weeks later...

q2yltAC.gif

I find the amount of hyperbole in this thread...disturbing.  All right, I'll be the guy.  The Artha bunnies came out in force for this and would have you believe goa Jesus had fired up the Cubase.  With respect to the artist, this is his 2nd album that didn't come close to the quality of his Fluori Dolby EP.  There are some great moments here like the 2nd half of El Es DiDream Telepathy is pumping and interesting, and of course the live version of Mahabharta is a f*cking classic.  The whole thing sounds fine to my ears and the artwork is very attractive.

but...

A Way to Target is triplet nonsense with Hallucinogen-lite aural affects while Theory of the Ghost is repetitive full-on filler.  Secret Trip devolved into more of that empty full-on and could've been so much more.  And I agree, the vocal sample absolutely crushed any chance of me liking it.  The mediocre downtempo closing track?  Fantastically unremarkable.  Even the tracks that I liked mentioned above didn't blow me away. 

If you love Artha then this is of course for you, but this is hardly groundbreaking.  The annals of goa trance haven't been re-written and I've just come to the conclusion that his style isn't for me.  Someone mentioned that he's a guy that has a couple of great tracks surrounded by just good stuff.  If it sounds like I'm being overly critical, it's because he's shown that he is capable of fantastic music yet never realizes his potential in his quest to sound "different" or "edgy."  I bought it because I like Cronomi, I want to support the scene, and I have a collection problem.  It's a good album, but top 5?

This doesn't even make my top 20.

• Like 1

T2Mu said it , i heard the album @ bandcamp and was very excited to listen to the tracks so it all sounded really good .. but after 2/3 listens i felt less engaged . Im not someone who buys a lot of albums but when i hear something special , which i was hoping DT to be , i try to support the scene . But now i feel really torn , should i shouldnt i? the divide within me continues :(

Soo, everyone who likes this release is an overhyped Artha bunny, T2MU? Also out of his previous releases I only like the DNA track. Personally think that this album is better than anything he released before

Soo, everyone who likes this release is an overhyped Artha bunny, T2MU? Also out of his previous releases I only like the DNA track. Personally think that this album is better than anything he released before

I don't think Cronomi has enough resources and man power (like some others) to create a typical hollow internet hype :(

But hey guys, chill down: I don't like this album either!!!

• Like 1

Sicne it has been proven numerous times that T2MU's tastes are directly opposite to mine I must listen to this album asap.

Yes, you really must.

T2Mu said it , i heard the album @ bandcamp and was very excited to listen to the tracks so it all sounded really good .. but after 2/3 listens i felt less engaged . Im not someone who buys a lot of albums but when i hear something special , which i was hoping DT to be , i try to support the scene . But now i feel really torn , should i shouldnt i? the divide within me continues :(

You should.

At first it's a lot to take in - the music is very dense, full of melodies, acid lines, effects, drum loops, etc. so it took me some time to put those things in order and to see past it to recognise the structure of the songs, the arrangements, etc. Some of the things you'll just have to accept as an artistic vision, e.g. the fact that "Secret Trip" or "A Way To Target" go against the typical track structure, where you build the tension over the time - in both cases the peak is in the middle, while 2nd part is a "release": more melancholic and moody, focused on sound textures and landscapes rather than energy. I personally LOVE that, because it means that the artist had his very clear vision which he realised in spite of popular conventions and I can really appreciate that. Sure, the voice samples in "Dream Telepathy" are testing my resolve and T2MU very aptly called the last track "fantastically unremarkable", but no album is perfect (at least for me) and - again - you need to try to see what the artist was going for, what kind of atmosphere or feeling he wanted to create. It's easy to criticise something that's very distinct and personal - like Artha's music is, despite its distant similarities to Hallucinogen's sound - because there will always be people that don't get it or don't like it. But what's the alternative? If I were an artists I'd prefer to have a polarising reviews, with maybe some people hating the stuff but others genuinely loving & understanding it, instead of lukewarm reception a lot of our music gets because it's bland, mediocre, by-the-numbers and ultimately forgettable. I'm happy music like this album is getting released, because I - and some others - will be remembering it for years to come, because it's special, it's intimate and it is art.

• Like 2

Tracklist:

01.  A Way To Regret
02.  Monkeys (Extended Remix)
03.  Theory Of The Ghost
04.  El.Es.Di
05.  Mahabaratha (Live Version)
06.  Dream Telepathy
07.  Secret Trip
08.  Flutes

I LOVE the sound/melody (SYNTH) work, energy, and the majority of the imaginative elements throughout this highly addictive Goa-Trance album.

1. A Way To Target begins with experimental voice effects that morph into accents around the beat. The opening minute reminds me of Infected Mushroom before they got carried away with their experimental vocal work. Fortunately, it doesn't overstay its welcome. The first act is catchy, thanks to some creative synth work. There's a dreamy interlude and a musical shift to more positive sounding development halfway through via ambient, soundscapes, female hymns. The result's attractive and unique. But going by this track, I'd never expect the following songs to sound so different (Goa uptempo-wise). But I kind of like that (and the overall song), even if the Hallucinogen influence is obvious to me. It doesn't feel ripped off, but inspired and I like that.  B+

2. Monkey's starts out so dark and intriguing, with what appears to be subtle industrial/atmospheric elements. It's great. Turns out the direction of all three acts is dynamic, unpredictable, infectious, and stomping. This is evolving GOA-TRANCE, the way Goa should be. The synth work is FANTASTIC. I'm reminded of what Dark Soho could sound like at times if they returned with a wonderfully upgraded still to the strength of their debut. The key changes are GREAT! There's an incoherent sample roughly halfway through (and towards the end). It sounds like a child; I could have done without it. The song ends with an odd sample, kinda meh. Everything else is SUPERB. All in all I LOVE this track.  A

3. Theory Of The Ghost appears more Psytrance driven. The first act has a mechanical (almost tech-trance) sound that's decent, but it doesn't develop much and drags a little. There's a brief albeit cheesy male laugh that's completely unnecessary. The second act is stronger, with catchier synths, energy, and Goa elements. It's solid until the silly male laugh returns. It seems juvenile (to me) compared to everything else I've heard on the album thus far. Fortunately the music (again) improves past it despite the fairly rote (predictable) direction. This is a decent to pretty good song, and arguably the weakest uptempo track on the album. I enjoy many aspects of it (synths, mixing, final act), but compared to the previous track, I can't help but feel letdown. This artist is capable of creating far superior (catchier), satisfying work.  B- / B

4. eL.eS.Di begins with a strong, emotive backdrop. The chapter improves as it progresses and features some fantastic psychedelic MELODY WORK, bubbly/shuffling FX, a terrific climactic segment, and a strong, evolved second and third act. Excellent!  A-

5. Mahabharata (Live Version) is one of the best tracks here. This vehicle's packed with energy, variety, development, infectious synth work, textures, and rhythms. Just when the first act seems to drag, it breaks out with delicious new moves and sequences that elevate its opening. Also the last act's excellent! WOW this things catchy! I can't imagine this not being a hit on dance floors and electronic music festivals! The song is super fun. It comes equipped with wonderful synth/sound work and remains highly addictive from near start to finish.  A

6. Dream Telepathy is great, save the male vocals (singing). I get the idea of having ethnic influence (adding flavor to your songs). Here they however certain ones take away from the surreal vibe accomplished so well by the terrific music. Some may not mind the vocals. The effect is catchier when they skip. I can accept the difference (unique element) of them overall. Then there's that tasty mixing/beat/synth work to boot! Also the female vocal effect around the male hymns is VERY CATCHY, as well as the evolved, last act. Overall this is pretty great!  A-

7. Secret Trip appears more Psytrance oriented. Fortunately there's Goa elements as it progresses. The reverberating backdrop is catchy. The synths and the Hallucinogen influence work to some degree. However, the song would benefit from having more development. The few voice samples are fine. The high-pitched indian chanting in the last act however is pretty distracting. This would have been a great opportunity to develop the song more. The melodies in the last two minutes are good, though they could've arrived and developed more earlier. It's fairly memorable due to its rumbling backdrop and a decent to pretty good track, but the least strong here IMO since Theory Of The Ghost.  B- / B

8.  Flutes is an experimental, PSY, downtempo number. There's a sound that reminds me of someone tapping their wet sneakers on the floor amidst a pleasently forming atmosphere. The song has one of the most cringe-worthy, albeit not-too-long voice samples. The ambient flute segment in the last 1-2 minutes is very nice, especially when the beat returns. I'd say the last act is very good, if not great. More scenery (eventfulness) and development would have been nice, but this thing does development. Regarding the flute, I love the idea of incorporating classical instruments into Goa-Trance. This is a nice way to end the album, though I think the artist could've taken it further. The song isn't bad. It's nothing spectacular either. Flutes is a unique, solid closing. Now just get that annoying voice sample out of there. Your album's too healthy for unpleasant ingredients!  B / B+

CONCLUSION
I'm impressed. I've never heard Artha before, yet I'd place this up there as one of 2016's best Goa-Trance albums. Same goes for..  

- Morphic Resonance - City of Moons
Ultimate Xperience  - Lazarus Rising

- RA - Earthcall
- Crossing Mind - Beyond Duality

Dream Telepathy is creatively rich, exciting, immersive, and engaging. It has some of the best Goa-Trance songs I've heard all year on it, primarily Monkeys and Mahabharata. I'm loving much of the work on numerous other songs too, e.g., eL eS Di (what a pain in the ass to spell lol) and Dream Telepathy! Is there anything that could be better? Yes. The third song could have been stronger. Same with the seventh and last one. This artist is insanely talented, yet there's a few songs (and moments) that could have been refined when compared to the excellent/superb work surrounding them. I could have done without the brief laughing on Track 3, the hymns in Track 6, the chanting in Track 7, and the samples in track 8. None of these ruin the album for me, they're just noticeable when they occur and take distract from the strong and worth experiencing (many times!) journey. That said and for the most part, the Hallucinogen-inspired elements are SOLID. Most of the album is terrific, at least I think so, and many others (not all) seem to agree. There's an ingenuity to many of the songs that I like, that give this album a distinct flavor, style, and feel. There's room for improvement for sure. That said, this is a terrific release. Dream Telepathy is easily one of 2016's best albums IMO.

HIGHLIGHTS:  2 (!!!), 4 (!), 5 (!!!), 6 (!!)

A-

Stream the full album on YouTube here!

• Like 3

as i listen to it more often, i find that i enjoy this album more and more. 

at first i found it a bit bland, because it's more minimalistic, effect driven and laid back than his previous one (which was universally praised immediately upon release and won our "best of 2010" poll easily). there are much less big melodies that blow you away immediately — except for el es di and mahabharta of course.

el es di is a classic i've known for many years from artha's livesets and it is in the same style and intensity as his previous work. the mahabharta live mix is something i don't really care about anymore; i have listened to the versions on the jelly marbles and the psynews compilations too often over the years, which of course doesn't mean that it's not great music.

the rest of the album is in the "new artha style", which is more subdued and therefore needs more intent listening to be enjoyed fully.

so apart from el es di, the real gems here are monkeys and dream telepathy, which are both excellent. i also don't get why people are annoyed by those samples. they fit nicely... it's just that i know that i know them from somewhere. does anyone have an idea? it must be some oldschool goa or psychill (entheogenic maybe??)…

next are secret trip and theory of the ghost. they're not quite up to the level of monkeys and dream telepathy, but still very good. at first i wasn't impressed they definitely get better with every listen as you notice more and more details (in contrast to for example the latest mindsphere album, which is impressive at first but quickly becomes bland and "more of the same"). the more minimalistic approach is actually a welcome diversion from the general newschool template. it doesn't have to be melodic overload all the time; i'd rather have less but more meaningful melodies.

the weakest parts of the album are definitely the opener and the closing track (especially that one. it is indeed "fantastically unremarkable").

all in all it's one of the best if not the best album of 2016 with three excellent, two really good and two ok-to-good tracks. i can already say with confidence that (just like artha's first album) i will be coming back to this music for many years.

looking back at various psytrance reviews here on psynews, you often notice some (now obscure) albums getting praises when they are released, but five or ten years later people will comment "well, it was okay for the style that was popular in the early 00s, but now it sounds out of place" or something. this on the other hand is an unique album and definitely not a release that will be forgotten like that.

Cocco you should listen to the first album too and the free EP! I can't believe you've not heard them.

I have to write up something soon about this album just haven't had time. I think it's been a bit of a mixed bag for me, but one thing I find curious is that in the Cronomi Promo mix there were still a lot more unreleased awesome Artha tracks that aren't here for some reason..

• Like 1