Artha - Dream Telepathy (Cronomi Records)

Richpa

14449963_10154432578315330_8523766020161

Tracklist:

01 - A Way To Regret
02 - Monkeys (Extended Remix)

03 - Theory Of The Ghost
04 - El.Es.Di
05 - Mahabaratha (Live Version)

06 - Dream Telepathy
07 - Secret Trip
08 - Flutes

The long awaited new Artha album – Dream Telepathy is almost here (at least I can enjoy it before it’s officialy released by Cronomi Records since I recieved the FLAC files thanks to Ward and kind folks at Cronomi Records, so I feel obligated to throw out few honest words about this one. It’s not a secret I’ve been a huge fan of this kind of Goa trance music for a while and Artha is one of the artists that I always play and enjoy. Even the promotion has been a little bit obscure (especially because we’re dealing here with one of the most creative and innovative Goa trance producers in last decade), all true Goa-heads who are into this so-called new breed Goa-wormhole for more than few years, are familiar with the fact that Michał Bączek is making his second full-lenght album, especially after highly respected and acclaimed back-to-back releases – Fluori Dorby and Influencing Dreams (both released on his mother-label Cronomi Records).

When it comes to Artha music and sound in general, there is no universal consensus, most of the time, people who are stuck into dreamy  (or how I like to call it ‘Astral Projection-influenced‘ Goa, tend to bash or more politley criticise his sound, production or mastering, but still they somehow admire the unique approach and creative input, even it’s not full-blown melodic Goa trance chaos. In simple words, it’s Artha, or to be daringly honest if I may – a totally new level of Hallucinogen, just made in wrong times where the new level of Goa generation tends to forget how much Simon contributed with his solo project. Yes, it’ might be wrong to compare such heavyweight with Artha, but as a reviewer I have to point out that music on Dream Telepathy still sounds innovative, creative and technically almost flawless (and let’s not forget the six year-long gap between this and his last album.

That being said, new album ‘Dream Telepathy’ comes with 8 new tracks (excluding the reworked version of legendary Maharabathara track) and over 70 music of trippy, but very likable Goa trance music. On the first listen, sound geeks might notice that audio-image of this album is slightly different than it’s processor, with more accent on the tiny details, passages in arrangement and FX moments which Dream Telepathy has a lot to offer. A family member of Cronomi crew, Mario, or to some of you better known as M-Run put a lot of effort to make this album sound more organic and less raw / kick-friendly. Still, it has to be previewed on bigger and better PA to understand this improvement a little bit better, but it’s just one of thoose details every fan of good sounding Goa music will know how to appriciate and in my humble opinion Mario did a great job here (but, it’s also a matter of taste and I’m sure many of you will prefer the Colin‘s mastering from the first album).

So, the music? It sounds like Artha, perhaps a little bit more minimal with more focus on arrangement/technical parts, but still it doesn’t suffer of being chessy in terms of melody or, God forbid ‘trying so hard’ to sound too Goa with cheap oriental melodies. I’ll tell you a secret – it’s not how Michał or Cronomi roll. However, I feel that at some point, this release feels a bit rushed out, even it has it’s moments of brilliance and uniqueness and tracks such ‘El Es Di’ or ‘Secret Trip’ are proper gems and one of the reasons why this release might end up in all major ‘best of’ selections at the end of the year – when it comes to Goa trance music in 2016. Of course, you can’t except that whole album sounds unique from start to finish, but thoose tiny (as I called it ‘rushed out’) moments won’t spoil your enjoyment and I’m sure many of you are not nit-picking as much as I do.

Personally, it’s hard for me to review each track, since all of them got a lot to offer – for example the opening track A Way To Target is already much more interesting than Dubber Nubber from his previous album, the revisited Maharabathara version will make you dance and my personal highlights such as El Es Di (duh, it’s LSD), and Secret Trip will probably please your aural sensors. Also, don’t miss relaxed Flutes (with some nice native Slavic themes appearing there for a breif moment) and technoid Theory Of The Ghost, perfect for all early 2000’s Goa astronauts – thoose tracks will become a true classics in the near future, I’m sure.

Conclusion:

In the end, Dream Telepathy gives enough of time to rejoice and deep within yourself invoke the feeling that Goa trance music is still alive indeed, without being scared of yet another 2 or 3 years period with mostly ultra melodic Goa music. If it makes sense, Cronomi knows very well how to distract the monopoly of melodic releases on this scene by offering enough of melody on their releases but without taking the fluffy-road. Dream Telepathy will require a lot of listens and patience since it's one of thoose albums where you have to devote a lot of time, but when it sinks in, you will be grateful. Being in the making for last 6 years, Artha and Cronomi will deliver proper Artha sound with couple of new moments of excitment and joy, but make sure to avoid hype, especially after reading this review because sometimes it becomes natural and easy to feel dissapointment with some minor things, even complete picture (or in this case this release) looks and feels good. If you enjoyed the previous Artha music, I'm sure this one will become your 2016 favorite. After this release, we have to give kudos to Michał and growing Polish Goa scene (with PsySutra and JaraLuca already released a bunch of material) Poland is becoming a nice incubator for talented and creative artists with healthy Goa-trance scene. Dream Telepathy also comes with wonderful Psara's artwork desing that once again cleverly avoids Goa clichés and offers interesting visuals and M-Run's gently, but very respectable mastering.

Music & idea - 93%
Sound & production - 83%
Artwork & visuals - 81%

Overall Score - 86%

For more informations about this release, please visit official Cronomi Records website.

Written by Richpa.

Review and poll can be found here: http://www.neogoa.net/dream-telepathy-review/

Wow, that's a very swift and honest and nice written review mate!!!  

:) THX for your honest words mate!!! :wub: Even tough I don't agree on all of them ;) + :P
BUT I appreciate this very much! This is really a showmanship of true (goa)friendship.
Why I do I stress out this so much? Cause I feel there is to little of this honesty in the new goa scene of today that makes much 'goa' sound all a like. Too much fear of giving feedback cause so much is taken so easily so personnel, while feedback is just feedback cause we want the best to happen for the scene.

On what I don't agree? Not much ;)
1) 'the albums seems like it has been rushed out': well the full story took us 2 to 3 years to finish everything (music, production, track selection, art work, mastering,...) :)
2) Due to different mastering Artha's music shows more all the details it really contains. The 1st album was mastered loud(er) and that why it sounds less details (I hope to release a remaster of the 1st album when we have the financial power to do it).
Why? Cause this CD contains a mix of Artha's '90s and newer work.

THX again, and "Goa lives" :wub:

PS On the promotional thing: we are aware of that. We lack a promo-machinery.

But some years ago we wrote our labels philosophy on the website, stating we prefer that good music promotes itself as much as possible.

But don't worry: it'll be spread enough. I play regurally in Israel, and I always have Artha CDs short, cause they sell like sweet candy :D

• Like 1

Wow, that's a very swift and honest and nice written review mate!!!   :) THX for your honest words mate!!! :wub: Even tough I don't agree on all of them ;) + :PBUT I appreciate this very much! This is really a showmanship of true (goa)friendship.

Why I do I stress out this so much? Cause I feel there is to little of this honesty in the new goa scene of today that makes much 'goa' sound all a like. Too much fear of giving feedback cause so much is taken so easily so personnel, while feedback is just feedback cause we want the best to happen for the scene.

On what I don't agree? Not much ;)1) 'the albums seems like it has been rushed out': well the full story took us 2 to 3 years to finish everything (music, production, track selection, art work, mastering,...) :)2) Due to different mastering Artha's music shows more all the details it really contains. The 1st album was mastered loud(er) and that why it sounds less details (I hope to release a remaster of the 1st album when we have the financial power to do it).

Why? Cause this CD contains a mix of Artha's '90s and newer work.

THX again, and "Goa lives" :wub:

PS On the promotional thing: we are aware of that. We lack a promo-machinery.

But some years ago we wrote our labels philosophy on the website, stating we prefer that good music promotes itself as much as possible.

But don't worry: it'll be spread enough. I play regurally in Israel, and I always have Artha CDs short, cause they sell like sweet candy :D

What about sour candy? You racist against sour candy?

When you do the remaster of Artha's debut album, make it a double and include his EP as well.

Or else I will hunt you down...

That's actually an awesome idea! I had no problem with Colin's mastering, but track #2 had a glitch (a silence gap). Also, different cover would be appreciated - I never liked the unshaven trogglodyte :D

Patience is key to both questions :P

that was not a lot of patience required for the first question. your link to the samples on soundcloud has already confirmed it ;)

this surely gives me hope that the second part will take less than the six years we had to wait for artha's second album :)

• 1 month later...

So where's the release date? Cronomi records keeps silent...

No info for us = silence (that's correct). I'll explain why:

Just got word from pressing plant.

Delivery date 17/11 :)

So in the topic we will announce the release date today or tomorrow ;)

THX for your concern: we share it. BUT the original pressing plant didn't respond any more to our order. We wanted to give them a fair chance to rectify, but 1 month and no reply is enough; so we had to change. That's why the delay.

• Like 2

Artha is probably the best goa-artist living in our time.

A thousands of tracks, a hundreds of bands and albums were in my ears, but there was still really nothing like "Chaos" or "Bali", even approximately. I am happy about this release, and it simply MUST be awesome.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have to apologize @Happy Horse and the artist also of my previous position of this album on Label news section: I don't know what I was thinking but soundcloud samples didn't get me and I was also unhappy of a non-customer friendly marketing with a review coming too early like some smaller circle basketweaving and even without artwork at that point if I remember right.

But I'd be pathetic if I didn't live up to my motto "There was never even an option for me to let anything or anyone come between me and music" and didn't let the music speak for itself now that it is on hand.

If I was a guy I'd get a boner on this release but cuz I am a girl I don't know what I am getting but butterflies (or bees according to the artwork) anyways. This Is a major album of 2016 with all psychedelia that I don't remember any other release has delivered on this level for a long time.

Fav tracks: 1. Dream Telepathy, 2. Mahabharta 3. Secret trip

Artwork: 5/5

Overall rating 4,5/5

• Like 2

Geez this album is unreal. Got the CD on Wednesday and now been on repeat like 50++ times. Thank you big time Cronomi..just extra thank you: so extraorninary it is!