Suppose this scene was huuuuge and each release would gather at least 2000-5000 rates, the impact of a label rating its own releases wouldn't influence the score so much.

My opinion: rating your own music = not done. All the rest is OK or OK-ish. :)

• Like 1

Suppose this scene was huuuuge and each release would gather at least 2000-5000 rates, the impact of a label rating its own releases wouldn't influence the score so much.

You're right about it being insignificant when the numbers are huge, but one potential issue still crops up here: credibility.

Good to see a label owner understanding and appreciating the point of rating system :)

Cheers.

I have no idea why the credibility would become less if the label releases music they love from the heart... Its simple,if a label releases a release, I guess he is in love with it... And in my case it is very simple. I have a points-system in my computer with every release I own. And all releases I have get a rating on discogs from 1/5 till 5/5. As I rate all, it would be dull not to include Suntrip releases or releases I worked on (which are many more as just the Suntrip stuff) So yes, logically speaking we won't release music we don't like, so it means a 5/5 score... If that makes me less credible, so be it, I just give honest points to all goa-trance I own :)

I have no idea why the credibility would become less if the label releases music they love from the heart... Its simple,if a label releases a release, I guess he is in love with it... And in my case it is very simple. I have a points-system in my computer with every release I own. And all releases I have get a rating on discogs from 1/5 till 5/5. As I rate all, it would be dull not to include Suntrip releases or releases I worked on (which are many more as just the Suntrip stuff) So yes, logically speaking we won't release music we don't like, so it means a 5/5 score... If that makes me less credible, so be it, I just give honest points to all goa-trance I own :)

so you mean you would not have released zirrex - lost in time 3cd album if they asked you? since you gave it 4 stars and not 5 stars
  • Like 1

Let me first explain my points system:

I rate EVERY track on EVERY cd I have, if a track gets 7 or 8 = * = 1 point, if it gets 9 or 10 it gets ** = 2 points, if it gets less then 7 it gets a / = 0 points

if you have 9 tracks and you have 9 points or more = 5/5 (so actually, if a cd is SUPERB, it can have 15 points out of 9 tracks)

This IS a problem with 2-3CD releases, as chances are small it gets 5/5, as usually there are several tracks that get a 0... This is the case with the Zirrex-CD, not ALL the tracks on the 3 cds are super good and get an average of 1 point per track for me...

As for the Suntrip releases, of course I favour some above others... But as said, a release can have an average of 1 point (9 tracks and 9 points), but also an average of 1.33 for instance (9 tracks and 13 points). They would both get 5/5, but still, the other is "better" :D

And its pretty simple, I would never release a cd that would net get 5/5 in my points-system... Sometimes, in the end, you realise some tracks may be less good, but still... and if I think about it, maybe 2 releases deserve rather a 4/5 after relistening them 100 times ;)

In the end numbers doesn't have the same value as a written word or review. One of the reasons why Psynews still is the best place where you can discover great music. When I created Discogs account I rated few releases by Neogoa, but in the end I decided it's better to keep my opinion just for Psynews and if I feel that some release deserves my attention I would rather post few words about it and why I like it. For example, Ektoplazm also has 5-star rating system but I never seen it as something super objective, most of our releases are over 90% positive rating but in the reality some of them aren't that great to wide number of people, I understand that and it would be silly to say otherwise, but that doesn't mean that thoose same releases might not be great to certain people and vice versa.

My opinion, about rating systems in general is that review and written word brings much more value and attention to certain release. It's also one of the reasons why Metal Encyclopedia has amazing rating system, you can rate release from 0-100% but with review besides it, so you can actually see why people like or dislike certain release and in general you learn much more about music besides just numbers (no matter from whom they're coming). I really hope Psynews and all great folks who are taking their time to overview certain releases will continue to happen because from a perspecive of music fan and someone who releases music, it's the best and most objective way to find great and avoid bad music.

Just my 0,02$

• Like 1

I think the problem here isnt if a LABEL rates its own release, but if the ARTIST does so. Which I havent encountered. I think that Anoebis' rate is credible no matter if he released the album or not.

• 4 weeks later...