so... i've been listening psytrance for 2 years now. i'm enjoying the journey so much but there's only one problem. there is

too much psy to listen. this is not a problem in itself because i would like to listen to new psy for years to come but at the

same time i would like to reach some basic level of psytrance knowledge. that would include many must-hear producers as well as

specially creative producers and many newschool producers who are good enough to shape the psysound into new directions.

that would be just to reach this 'basic level of psyknowledge' i was talking about. it's a difficult task because

with each track, album or compilation i listen to, there happens to be more that one artist from who i've never heard anything from.

browsing psynews has helped me A LOT in getting to know artists so i come here again, asking your help to make some kind of

must-listen-to artists. i'm also making this because, for example, i stil haven't listened to the entire juno reactor's discography,

or even hallucinogen's. so, in order to start listening to really fresh things i believe i need to know the basics first.

nevertheless, i encourage you to recommend newschool artists too.

also, i'm looking for artists that have an extensive discography like electric universe, so as to listen to it chronologically

and getting to understand goa/psy evolution through the years.

. astral projection

. juno reactor

. hallucinogen

. koxbox

. mwnn

. transwave

. x dream

. blue planet corporation

. hux flux

. vibrasphere

. elysium

. doof

. infinity project

. mfg

. infected mushroom

. process

. planet ben

. human blue

. electric universe

. space tribe

. dark soho

. eat static

. cosma

. cosmosis

. logic bomb

. total eclipse

. chi - a.d.

. slinky wizard

. wizzy noise

. etnoscope

. etnica

. shpongle

. jaia

. gnor

. pleaiadians

i dj in my room and want to really understand what psytrance means, its essence before leaving my room and being in front of a crowd.

what would you recommend? my list can have mistakes too, feel free to critize it too.

Just like most things in life, you need to start from the basics/the beginning.

I'd recommend to also start to listen the predecesors of goa/psy. Like FSOL, Orbiral, the detroit techno sound, the balaeric sound, acid house, acid trance, old school german techno, indsutrial.
This will also help you with your mixing, since at the beginning, there weren't so many channels or effects but still they produced fantastic music.

Then, you need to also have your personal taste. Do you want to play goa? Prog? Minimal? Full-on?
With Prog and Minimal you can play around with your cd or mixer effects (that's if you have some decent gear) or even an isolator (very common for house music). For goa, that's much harder to do because of all the layering, it's more of a matter of knowing the tracks rather than fiddling around with them.

That's some small advice from me. There are Pro DJs and artists in the forum who can give you much more technical info.

• Like 1

Just like most things in life, you need to start from the basics/the beginning.

I'd recommend to also start to listen the predecesors of goa/psy. Like FSOL, Orbiral, the detroit techno sound, the balaeric sound, acid house, acid trance, old school german techno, indsutrial.

This will also help you with your mixing, since at the beginning, there weren't so many channels or effects but still they produced fantastic music.

Then, you need to also have your personal taste. Do you want to play goa? Prog? Minimal? Full-on?

With Prog and Minimal you can play around with your cd or mixer effects (that's if you have some decent gear) or even an isolator (very common for house music). For goa, that's much harder to do because of all the layering, it's more of a matter of knowing the tracks rather than fiddling around with them.

That's some small advice from me. There are Pro DJs and artists in the forum who can give you much more technical info.

Indeed: the roots of Goa go way back: to psychedlic rock at least.

BUT i never heard that music (psy-rock) until I was in my mid-twenties.

First started with (commercial) dance, techno, rave, new beat and trance: than boomed me into goa trance and psychelic techno (as mentioned on the cover of the "goa head" series - I always feel psychedelic techno is a name we are forgetting too much).

And to be honest I'm very happy for the way it went, cause Goa music is really a blend of all that was summed up. It is good to see people from the newer generation feel the need to discover the roots of psychelic techno and Goa trance; cause imo this is what today biggest virus is in 'neo' goa: no historical and musical background of the genre resulting in a generic/superficial sound and a diffrent perception of what a goa melody (and so melodic goa) really is.

Yes good advice, Goa-Head until volume 7 I would say (they are on Youtube I think).

I started my initiation with Distance to Goa, volumes 1-5 you have great sound with lots of variety.

Earlier Tantrance (until volume 7) and the Pulse series 1-6 https://www.discogs.com/label/202783-Pulse-2

I guess Destination Goa as well even though I never listened to them.

Yes good advice, Goa-Head until volume 7 I would say (they are on Youtube I think).

I started my initiation with Distance to Goa, volumes 1-5 you have great sound with lots of variety.

Earlier Tantrance (until volume 7) and the Pulse series 1-6 https://www.discogs.com/label/202783-Pulse-2

I guess Destination Goa as well even though I never listened to them.

Hmm, I would rather take the Trance Mix series (from 1993 onwards), cause the series "Goa Head" starts in only 1996, a year where Goa trance was at least 4 years running...

...and also :D

...and this one for the real bouncy goa kick in the music (new skoolers listen and learn) :P

Your list has Koxbox in it, I'm so proud! :)

Any goa/psy maniac should look into Man with no name at one point prior to losing their hearing :D

Apart from that, it's just too much. There is too much music to listen to in a single life time, lol. Look around, find that sound that electrocutes your mind.

• Like 1

your list already looks pretty good and representative (for up to the early 2000s). for the further evolution, although they are not necessarily the best, i would recommend looking into gms, astrix, absolum and talamasca. they should give you a good overview of early fullon (with some of them showing the evolution fron goa to psytrance to fullon). gms and talamasca also show how fullon became cheesy and boring while astrix' discography shows how the focus shifted from fullon to progressive in later years.

for a negative example on the complete sell-out of a part of the fullon artists, electro sun is just perfect.

tristan's music also shows goa->psytrance/psytek->fullon->"nano"-style fullon

for the line that goes from goa trance to progressive, the definitive artist is human blue. tripticon/ticon might also be of interest here. and for old progressive -> new progressive gaudium should be pretty representative. you can fill in some blanks with prisoners of the sun, ace ventura and liquid soul.

for newschool goa i'd recommend the whole suntrip catalogue if it hadn't become quite unwieldy over the years ;)

so i think the compilations show the evolution adequately — especially if you fill up the blanks with the albums of filteria, khetzal, ra and artifact303.

also don't forget artha.

so... i've been listening psytrance for 2 years now. i'm enjoying the journey so much but there's only one problem. there istoo much psy to listen. this is not a problem in itself because i would like to listen to new psy for years to come but at thesame time i would like to reach some basic level of psytrance knowledge. that would include many must-hear producers as well asspecially creative producers and many newschool producers who are good enough to shape the psysound into new directions.that would be just to reach this 'basic level of psyknowledge' i was talking about. it's a difficult task becausewith each track, album or compilation i listen to, there happens to be more that one artist from who i've never heard anything from.browsing psynews has helped me A LOT in getting to know artists so i come here again, asking your help to make some kind ofmust-listen-to artists. i'm also making this because, for example, i stil haven't listened to the entire juno reactor's discography,or even hallucinogen's. so, in order to start listening to really fresh things i believe i need to know the basics first.nevertheless, i encourage you to recommend newschool artists too.also, i'm looking for artists that have an extensive discography like electric universe, so as to listen to it chronologicallyand getting to understand goa/psy evolution through the years.. astral projection. juno reactor. hallucinogen. koxbox. mwnn. transwave. x dream. blue planet corporation. hux flux. vibrasphere. elysium. doof. infinity project. mfg. infected mushroom. process. planet ben. human blue. electric universe. space tribe. dark soho. eat static. cosma. cosmosis. logic bomb. total eclipse. chi - a.d.. slinky wizard. wizzy noise. etnoscope. etnica. shpongle. jaia. gnor. pleaiadiansi dj in my room and want to really understand what psytrance means, its essence before leaving my room and being in front of a crowd.what would you recommend? my list can have mistakes too, feel free to critize it too.

The Pulse series

Pulse

Pulse 2

Pulse 3

Pulse 4

Listen to them.

I like the artists on your list. After the first 4 Pulse compilations and remember..

Www.discogs.com

..Is your friend. After all of that come back with an update. :)