Making a dream come true

thanosp81

Knowing what to avoid is equally important. That said, if you don't know what to do then you just stay in limbo don't you? Hopefully, when the time comes the psynews people will be enough to point me to the right direction. Either way, sooner or later I will give it a go, be sure of that.

Dude.. serious question:

What's stopping you from it?

You don't need to do anything more than what you already did.

https://sofamanifesto.bandcamp.com/

There is conact button on it.

Send them what you have described here and see what happens... no reply, no Hol Baumann CD. Continue with next on list.

If they reply, sort out what/how you want do it. Continue until you have agrremtns with enough labels / releases to start the kickstarter campain and go ahead..

You do not even need to stand up from your PC, just some typing... and the go is real

I respect the idea, but I don't get it. Why should one long for physical artifacts when digital format is more versatile and practical and cheaper? I'm 56 so I've come through tapes, vynil, CDs and I don't regret having reverted totally to digital format (BTW, and of course, I always keep two backups stored in different places).

The only reason I can see for preffering CDs is an inclination to collection, which is an another story.

I respect the idea, but I don't get it. Why should one long for physical artifacts when digital format is more versatile and practical and cheaper?

If you decide to reply to a topic, would be wise to read through it first - the answers to your questions are on previous page. You can disagree with them, as they're largelly irrational by now and *logically* digital is the way to go. But still, those are valid reasons for some people, actually just like any other preference in life...

If you decide to reply to a topic, would be wise to read through it first - the answers to your questions are on previous page. You can disagree with them, as they're largelly irrational by now and *logically* digital is the way to go. But still, those are valid reasons for some people, actually just like any other preference in life...

I read all the thread before posting man as I alwas do. I've just expressed my opinion. People do collect many things, butterflies, stamps, coins... I don't see any reason not to collect CDs, and as I said I fully respect others' choices. I still remain interested in the substance, which is the music and the quality of it, than the form which is the medium.

BTW, no reason to argue.

• Like 1

I read all the thread before posting man as I alwas do. I've just expressed my opinion. People do collect many things, butterflies, stamps, coins... I don't see any reason not to collect CDs, and as I said I fully respect others' choices. I still remain interested in the substance, which is the music and the quality of it, than the form which is the medium.

BTW, no reason to argue.

The need to physically own something and being a collector are two different things imo. And don't forget that the medium is a form of art as well, another reason to actually own the cd.

Returning on topic: I am currently trying to figure out the process for the extra income from kickstarter (taxes, registering a business etc etc). It is mind boggling :wacko:

I wonder if small amounts like this just go under the radar without causing any problems.

I mean, what if 50 people gathered around and contributed to just print an album they love just for fun, i doubt the taxman would pay them a visit :P

BTW, no reason to argue.

Sorry if I sounded hostile. That wasn't my intention at all :)

And I agree with @thanosp81 - I'm not a serious collector (hardly pushing to 800 CDs, which is very modest for this genre) but for reasons stated earlier I simply prefer CDs, even if it's illogical.

Returning on topic: I am currently trying to figure out the process for the extra income from kickstarter (taxes, registering a business etc etc). It is mind boggling :wacko:

I wonder if small amounts like this just go under the radar without causing any problems.

I mean, what if 50 people gathered around and contributed to just print an album they love just for fun, i doubt the taxman would pay them a visit :P

You do approach this from the wrong end.

As said, get in touch with labels.... I could imagine a label manager that replies with "wow, really good idea. We already talked about doing Hol Baumann CD, but number of units would be too low... So we would be really happy to support you on this with our special-dial-CD-factory, accounting service and whatever you need for it. Just go ahead and bring other labels on board so that we get to quantity that makes this profitable"..

@Purple Sunray I disagree. Since I have no experience about those things, I don't see the harm of doing some background research. If anything I need to have a round view of the things included for such a task. When I start talks with a label/artist I need to show that I at least have some idea of what I'm talking about. It's not like people know me, or I have friends in the industry so they can blindly trust me.

That said, I really enjoy your enthusiasm :)

Feel free to do it however you want :D

My approach to such 'projects' is just a different one. Like, I wouldn't care at all at a first place about kickstarter and taxes and stuff.

To think about taxes I need to have some numbers first, which I do not have, because I do not know what labels will join, what releases will be part of it, if they are popular or not, if labels want revenue share a fixed price or nothing at all, if ... I don't know nothing yet, and doing tax math based on nothing is difficult. Like in Germany it's really easy to start a "Kleingewerbe" aka "Small business", you just need 50€ and 30min of time. But this only works if the revenues is below a certain limit - do I know if will be withing this limit? No, I not even know what my product will be. A CD collection. Mk, what CD collection? are there poplar releases in it? Hmmm idk

Yes - ofc you need a plan when you approach the labels. But you don't need solutions yet.

You talk to them to find solutions.

So my approach to the kickstarter stuff would not be to start thinking about taxes and business, but to extend by "to do" list with:

- Post idea on psynews for feedback [X] Check

- Get signed agreements from all labels [ ] Check

- Do survey on psynews to get rough idea about how popular the release are, how many CDs you want to produce [ ] Check

- Get in touch with an accountant to find out how to (not) pay taxes and get a business license [ ] Check

- Launch kickstarted campaign [ ] Check

• Like 1

That said, I really enjoy your enthusiasm :)

ahahah, that's no enthusiasm :D

I just believe in that any kind of cooperation is way easier to handle then I-do-it-all-on-my-own. So my approach always is to reach out to involved people as early as possible. "Worst case" the first label manager you contact replies with "Cool. I did planned to do same. Have everything in place already, just no time to reach out to other labels. Do you wanna join me and we do it together?" So all you preparation work was good for nothing.

I respect the idea, but I don't get it. Why should one long for physical artifacts when digital format is more versatile and practical and cheaper? I'm 56 so I've come through tapes, vynil, CDs and I don't regret having reverted totally to digital format (BTW, and of course, I always keep two backups stored in different places).

The only reason I can see for preffering CDs is an inclination to collection, which is an another story.

I'm with you, but this is an old argument and both sides are pretty well dug in.

What I don't understand is when a label releases a CD but refuses to release a digital version too (even after a suitable delay to first sell the CDs). For example, UX-Audissey or the various Mind Rewind compilations.

Mind Rewind is definitely due to the charities and contracts signed with the artists.

They can't just keep selling indefinitely

That said, bear in mind, with all of this, that Drezz tried crowdfunding a 12" and got a paltry buy-in from people and it went unfunded.

The demand just really isn't there.

It's an expensive process to master for vinyl, press vinyl, and then ship vinyl.

Also, remember that this scene is littered with wasted burnouts and people with shit fiscal skills.

Many artists have been burned by various promoters and many now hold a bit of skepticism towards various realms of things involving money.

You might find a little hesitation from artists until you have a couple of successful pressings and campaigns.

Best of luck!

Mind Rewind is definitely due to the charities and contracts signed with the artists.

They can't just keep selling indefinitely

That said, bear in mind, with all of this, that Drezz tried crowdfunding a 12" and got a paltry buy-in from people and it went unfunded.

The demand just really isn't there.

It's an expensive process to master for vinyl, press vinyl, and then ship vinyl.

Also, remember that this scene is littered with wasted burnouts and people with shit fiscal skills.

Many artists have been burned by various promoters and many now hold a bit of skepticism towards various realms of things involving money.

You might find a little hesitation from artists until you have a couple of successful pressings and campaigns.

Best of luck!

Sounds like we are awaiting the 2nd coming of the goa god.. to rise up and remind people why they love the music. To point out they are bitter filled negative haters who are killing each other off with nasty comments, hate filed judgments, and holier than thou attitudes.

I believe that day could come, but there's still a long way to go.

Just to clarify goa god, I believe it's a thought process we could all benefit from. Me, you, everyone.

What if someone was new to the genre and saw the negativity on here, that massive worst goa track thread which actually had good tracks. Now you have someone who could possibly be turned off by the genre. That's 1 too many

I also don't think the fans are ready for such a revival. In the end getting your reprint is a product. Marketing and sell sell sell. That doesn't exist here, on top of the hate - it doesn't matter who you are.. it's going to take a large coordinated effort to get something accomplished and the few who are capable.. really just good dance recordings and Dat records.. they are doing their own thing

I'm not saying that one should not reach for their dreams

I'm stating that this realm has a bit of pre-colored pallet and to keep that in consideration as one lays out their longterm plans.

Artists want their music heard

People also like being able to pay rent

Be chill and deliver and few products and items will move a bit more easily as the catalog grows.

But, if you run into hesitation, don't take it personally. There are a couple of decades of history rolling below the surface and skepticism is built in now.

Which is good

Awesome! Good luck thanos. I'm in for hol baumann/circular and other stuff.

Do you know what would be even better? A triple cd edition, his new album plus the two lives. That would be a sight to behold :o