Are you a grumpy old goa trancer?

SixZeroFou4

Why did you suddenly join psynews? I see you are new since June 2016 :)

This isn't a 'secret' double account to search for compliments? :P

Oh no my brother. I don't search for anything but oxygen.

Why not join psy news? We all have the same interest!

• Like 1

Raising hand too ! 39 years old, French, into the scene for 21 years, on psynews for 16 years, and naturally severely grumpy.

Besides Goatrance, I think there has been a bunch of good FullOn (eg Xerox, XI) and Progressive (Symphonix, Suntree, Ovnimoon...check IONO records) albums in the past years. Ambient too (Ultimae records). Though I believe the level has decreased in the past 3 years due (imo) to more time spend by artists on facebook and less in front of their machines...

Yeah. It's tough to stay motivated when you don't have to worry about buying that next piece of gear.

With everything virtual, you have it all.. There's no mystery or anticipation. Nothing to earn.

Back then you had to be good enough to get the money to buy the next synth which could take a while, then the new toy would re spark the interest.

Now software has spoiled us all. Yes it sounded grumpy :)

• Like 1

Now software has spoiled us all.

Hah. :) Not really I suppose? What differentiates neogoa and old school goa, in my books, is the fact that back then, when you got all that analog gear, there was usually a lot of knob twisting at play. These days producers, not only that they overpack their tracks _the wrong way_ (there's a bad ratio between high and low frequencies), don't seem to know the skill of manipulating that "knob twist" in their tracks; the synth timbre is constantly the same. So, even if you'd change the melody and all, even then it's a bit tiresome to hear...
  • Like 2

Hah. :) Not really I suppose? What differentiates neogoa and old school goa, in my books, is the fact that back then, when you got all that analog gear, there was usually a lot of knob twisting at play. These days producers, not only that they overpack their tracks _the wrong way_ (there's a bad ratio between high and low frequencies), don't seem to know the skill of manipulating that "knob twist" in their tracks; the synth timbre is constantly the same. So, even if you'd change the melody and all, even then it's a bit tiresome to hear...

Do you live in my brain? Lol :)

• Like 1

Also wanted to mention the fact that if you are a pirate or have a friend who just gives you a jackpot of software it's instant gratification so the boredom curve approaches much sooner.

If there's a piece of gear you are working towards it extends the boredom and acts as an energizer when you get that piece

• Like 4

Have you seen my reviews or rants about mastering quality/issues of certain releases? Yeah, I'm a classic example of grumpy old goa trancer: listening to psychedelic goa trance since 1996, on psynews.org since early 2000 (under "antic", without the "604") although I'd say my collection is pretty evenly distributed over time: out of ~800 CDs 250 is from 2000 or earlier. My grumpiness shows in me being picky with regards to quality of the music and my specific expectations - I know a lot about music production, I listen to different music styles and I know what I like. I think there's always interesting stuff being released, because no artist / label on purpose releases bad stuff - some of it just isn't my cup of tea, but I'm not losing my time and nerves criticising it. It's more difficult than ever now to find good stuff, because so much gets released both paid and free and I really pity the people stuck in expectations that old golden days of '96-98 goa will return, missing on all the great releases that are there...

So yeah, I'm mostly grumpy about big part of the scene (or maybe it's specific to psynews.org?) being grumpy and stubbornly stuck in the past :)

• Like 2

Have you seen my reviews or rants about mastering quality/issues of certain releases? Yeah, I'm a classic example of grumpy old goa trancer: listening to psychedelic goa trance since 1996, on psynews.org since early 2000 (under "antic", without the "604") although I'd say my collection is pretty evenly distributed over time: out of ~800 CDs 250 is from 2000 or earlier. My grumpiness shows in me being picky with regards to quality of the music and my specific expectations - I know a lot about music production, I listen to different music styles and I know what I like. I think there's always interesting stuff being released, because no artist / label on purpose releases bad stuff - some of it just isn't my cup of tea, but I'm not losing my time and nerves criticising it. It's more difficult than ever now to find good stuff, because so much gets released both paid and free and I really pity the people stuck in expectations that old golden days of '96-98 goa will return, missing on all the great releases that are there...

So yeah, I'm mostly grumpy about big part of the scene (or maybe it's specific to psynews.org?) being grumpy and stubbornly stuck in the past :)

This is perfect. OK so where should I start for goa released as of lately..

• Like 1

This is perfect. OK so where should I start for goa released as of lately..

I'm waiting for answers too. If by Goa you mean whole psychedelic trance then there are many awesome releases, but if you mean "Goa" Goa, hmmm, tricky.

One recommendation from my side,

VA - World Beyond

well take 2 more

Artha - Influencing Dreams -- Not sure if this counts as "goa" but its awesome.

Artifac303 - Back to Space.

Best would be to checkout the "Best Of" threads.

• Like 1

Go ahead and list 5 Antic. It would be interesting to see which ones' you would choose.

Here's my 5 , just to get you started:

Frageltrollet - Playground Of the Spirit

Kiriyama - Reach Escape Velocity

Qiujan - Ritual To The Light

Sab Kuch Milegator - Klaus Aikain Taa

Nervasystem - Brainradio

• Like 1

So , young and grumpy goa trancer then.?

exactly :)

don't you dare call 30 years anything else than young :D

that's only psynews. the scene isn't grumpy at all. as long as they can get fucked up and have a good time they don't care if psykovsky, neelix or alien jesus is playing. anything that sounds remotely like "doof-da-da-da-doof-da-..." is fine provided that kick and bass are dominant and there aren't too many weird melodies.

______

top 5 goa trance from last 2 years or so not counting re-releases or previously unreleased oldschool?

off the top of my head i'd say (in no particular order) :

e-mantra - nemesis

lunar dawn - kolovrat

oforia - read more

mindsphere - presence

va - the mystery of crystal worlds

but since you like oldschool more than newschool i guess you would prefer stuff like:

the world beyond

denshi-danshi - fluid dymanics

deviant electronics - the green room

• Like 1

huh! I thought both DD & Green Room are albums of previously unreleased material.

I wanted to post lunar dawn - kolovrat oforia - read more but was sure someone would definitely recommend them. Just for diversity sake why not some funky foresty suomi fullonish hyperpsychedelia I thought. :P

If 30 is young, then I'm still in my teens :D

• Like 1

huh! I thought both DD & Green Room are albums of previously unreleased material.

I wanted to post lunar dawn - kolovrat oforia - read more but was sure someone would definitely recommend them. Just for diversity sake why not some funky foresty suomi fullonish hyperpsychedelia I thought. :P

If 30 is young, then I'm still in my teens :D

i thought denshi-danshi was only a few old tracks together with new ones and deviant was new stuff? but you may be right. anyway, it is previously unheard music and sounds like more like oldschool than the rest :)

you may still be in your teens, who am i to judge ;):D

Artha - Influencing Dreams -- Not sure if this counts as "goa" but its awesome.

Ofc it's goa trance and yes it's awesome.

Ok, you asked for it, now you'll probably get dozens of recommendations. I'd say:

Artha - Influencing Dreams

Crossing Mind - The Inner Shift

Proxeeus - At The Mountains Of Madness

Alienapia - Goapocalipsis

Some great tracks on compilations here and there as well. There are not so many labels anyway...

i like goa but cant be bothered listening to most of it

it just bores me

hard to find something good and unique these days that will 'impress' and get you into it

yea im major old grump lol

Well... Yes, and no :)

Only about a fourth of my collection could be considered "goa trance", and there may well be a 50/50 mix between pre and post 2000 music. Good goa trance is good, regardless of its age. There's horrible garbage made today, just as there was 20 years ago so nothing has really changed.

And about 90% of anything is crap anyway :lol:

:lol::lol:

raising both arms . im a fucking grump as fuck!!! LOOOOOOOOOL

fuck all guys lol i reached 30 the ohm looooooooooooooooolllllll

3-0 loooooooooooooooool

aum.png

ohm namah shivaya yeeeeoo boom shankar yeee baba shit looooooooooool respect thumbs up

be positive fuck all im sick of everything

live laugh love peace out

im gonna listen to mana source - samurai laterz guys

i say one love like electric universe said thats all i gotta say

bye

• Like 2

I'd say yes. It's 2016 and I'm still blasting Koxbox :D Most of the new "goa" that is being released just doesn't work for me. There is this "nitzhogoa" or "nitzhonot" or whatever it's called: its plus side is the major role of Middle-Eastern, Oriental-esque melodies, but after a while, I get bored of it and go back to 90s goa: something that still manages to excite me.

• Like 1

I'm old

I'm grumpy

I'm a goatrancer.

But I'm not a old grumpy goatrancer.

I've no complaints with the music. I think there's plenty of excellent stuff being made still, and any lulls don't remove the great music already in my collection.

My only gripe is that music is too easy to make these days so every scene is flooded with mounds if shite. There's probably more good stuff released these days then there ever was in the golden age but I'll likely never hear it :(

• Like 3

My only gripe is that music is too easy to make these days so every scene is flooded with mounds if shite. There's probably more good stuff released these days then there ever was in the golden age but I'll likely never hear it :(

Yes! The amount of music released is just overwhelming, so what do we do? We read reviews and choose based on people's "general opinion" on any given album.. and something you might really like will just slip the net.
  • Like 1