Are you a grumpy old goa trancer?

SixZeroFou4

My only gripe is that music is too easy to make these days so every scene is flooded with mounds if shite. There's probably more good stuff released these days then there ever was in the golden age but I'll likely never hear it :(

That's so true! I've just checked the folder "psy selection" on my PC, it has 471 file. This means that I had to listen to about 4710 tracks to filter out all the crap and leave the decent ones. And I bet there are another few hundreds of great tracks I'll never hear because they are hidden among another few thousands of crap I can't be arsed to go through.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a grump, but I am an old school partisan. :) I like some psytrance, but dislike the way it got defined as a single sound and production style rather than the 'melting pot' approach of old. It's so sound-alike that it quickly overstays its welcome... I can listen/dance to psytrance for two, maybe three hours before I want the music to go somewhere, anywhere else. And while I like a lot of newschool Goa, it's a little too straightforward for me, compared to older tracks where there was more of a storytelling approach. I want more artists to take their time, build up an atmosphere with their tracks, and take me on a journey I'll remember.

Judging by the one party I went to, the scene today is thriving. Better sound and nicer venues than 'back in the day', friendly people from all walks of life, and DJs are starting to play Goa again with the popularity of new school labels on the rise. If only the music was a little more adventurous, though!

I think it starts with the fanbase. We can make the scene better by demanding different and more varied music from the artists and labels. Buy it, play it in your sets, book it for your parties. Don't settle for normal when you can have weird. :)

BTW... congrats on the new album, Oopie. It's some of the coolest Goa I've heard in a long time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm old

I'm grumpy

I'm a goatrancer.

WooooW that's exactly what I wanted to post!!!!!!!

I'm also a goat rancher, since my mother-in-law has a small herd of goats!

My grumpiness comes from the high standards that I have for ALL genres. I always say:

-Why go to an average Psy event when 3 streets down the road there's a live venue playing quality rock or metal

-Why listen to an average metal record (ahem... new metallica... ahem) when there's an excellent reggea/dub album around

-Why go to any bar/club that plays shitty music just for the sake of going out (well it helps that I have a very good sound system at home)

Anyway, there's always good music around..... so who cares!

• Like 1

yes im the grumpiest of the grumpiest.

so grumpy most mods dont want me to post.

im that grumpy.

but idc.

i try to follow the rules but i also dont care. cause im just waiting to die.

every day is a challenge. "will this be the day?"

imagine having that mindset every fokin day of your life.

just imagine it for a second.

*posted from public wi-fi internet*

ps: im sorry rotwang youve done so much for me and ive just let u down *cry*

I'm also a goat rancher, since my mother-in-law has a small herd of goats!

So perhaps you're part of Goat Ranch Prophets? For ages I've been trying to find out who are these guys and what the **** are they doing on my albums.

So perhaps you're part of Goat Ranch Prophets? For ages I've been trying to find out who are these guys and what the **** are they doing on my albums.

OMG.... I've been discovered!! I revealed my identitaaaa!