• 3/5 - good, typical release for the sub-genre
    • 2/5 - poor, uneven, let down by technical issues
    • 1/5 - avoid at all cost

va-svemirski-hod.jpg

Name: Svemirski Hod

Label: Neogoa Records

Release date: April 2016

Zenith
01 - OXI - Haphazard Dance (Nova Fractal Remix) (145 BPM)
02 - Zopmanika - Cosmic Influence (145 BPM)
03 - Imba & Hisia - Elysium Island (143 BPM)
04 - Omnivox - 5 Dimensions (143 BPM)
05 - Stellar Force - Astral Dive (145 BPM)
06 - Lunar Dawn - Orbiting The Sun (143 BPM)
07 - Cosmic Dimension - Another Species (146 BPM)
08 - Main Sequence Star - North Pole (120 BPM)

Nadir
09 - Arronax - Dive Into Merak (110 BPM)
10 - Goasia - Skylander (142 BPM)
11 - Arcane Voice - Cerridwen's Potion (144 BPM)
12 - Ezoterica - Universal Mind (150 BPM)
13 - Screw Loose & Stevo - Celestial Bleeps (146 BPM)
14 - M-Run - Galactic Hunt (Part I) (140 BPM)
15 - CoaGoa - Tesla Coil (145 BPM)
16 - OXI - Edge Of The Universe (140 BPM)
17 - Perfect Blind - The Expanse (100 BPM)

Time to review this Goa beast from Neogoa. About time. :)

OXI's Haphazard Dance has been vamped by Nova Fractal and the man has done a superb job. I really like the original and Nova has put some more space sauce on top of it.
Delicious! Love the warm rolling bassline and crisp production. Euphoric trance all the way.

Zopmanika. Never ever heard of the name. Balkan, sure. Good? Fuck yeah! Bubbly jumpy melodic goa that doesn't give you one moment of rest. Once you get into the groove, it's party time!
Just saw he has an album out on Sita records. Should check it out!

In comes Imba, da masta. ;-) In collab with Hisia. They sure know how to control a lot of acid. It's really incredible. A track can hold much acids sounds, but the magic is to make
it sound harmonious, danceable and just fingerlicking good. These gentlemen do a terrific job here. They throw a incredibly sweet trance break in it and there we go again. Superb track!!!

Numero 4 in the list is Omnivox with 5 Dimensions. A lush deep track that takes the energy and beastiness of the previous track down. Very well placed imo. It was time for something deeper and floatier.
The track is very psychedelic with lots of stabbing sound effects and many layers. Extremely well crafted. Absolutely loving it, mainly because it's so lush and hypnotic.

Stellar Force, a collab between Imba and yes OXI. Starts off hesitating, but after a while you realise it's just the intro. After 2 minutes, all sounds come in full force and create a whirlwind of psychedelia all around. Is it the collab with OXI or has Imba just reached the pro level of goa trance creation? Because this is greatness. Really, I'm astounded. Thanks for the orgasm at minute 7. :P

Up next is Croatian talent Lunar Dawn with the beautiful track Orbiting The Sun. My god is he settling a name for himself. Again high quality spiralling goa trance with a basskick so deep. It goes up and down, makes you dizzy, makes you smile. Warm positive goa trance that is a pleasure for the ears. Perhaps my favorite of the compilation because it's so damn hypnotizing. It just goes on and on like a train at lightspeed. Bazinga!!!!!!

Cosmic Dimensions Another Species is for sure a dance floor bursting track. The darker bassline made me thinking if it was going to be a track that I was going to skip, but no way.
Although I didn't feel it for "In a special kind of space", this track is much better and twisty. Yes, approved.

We have now two downtempo tracks which I can't really review. To me it's nice background music.

Next goa track is Goasia's skylander, which sounds so oldschool, it's too oldschool for me. Don't know if the track is from the 90's or recent, but the lack of a solid bassline makes me skip it. I'm sure many of you will disagree. ;)

Cerridwens Potion has the intention to lift off at any time, but never manages to do so. I'm sure with fluo and blacklights everything sounds better, and although this is not a bad track at all, it falls short in terms of surprises amongst the other stuff.

Ezoterica sounds way too old for me to enjoy, same as with Goasia. Sorry, but skip.

Celestial Bleeps and Galactic hunt are too trippy for me, but will surely find an audience.

Tesla Coil is a ear worm with some hook I can't get rid off in my head, but a twist or some surpsises would have made it more enjoyable.

Aaah, back with OXI and Edge Of the Universe. God I love his basskick. The track has many parts, and when they all come together in the end it's pure bliss. Pure Goa madness that needs to be played at some Old Is Gold party in september. ;-)

We close with another downtempo track. And that's the great end of it.

CONCLUSION

Svemirski Hod is a fantastic goa trance compilation and features top class tracks from both emerging and established goa trance artists. I must applaud to all artists involved and the Neogoa label for bringing this to us. Even for free, which is almost unbelievable. But for the artists it is a huge boost for their career now that everyone can listen to these superb goa gems.
Simply amazing. Job well done.

Download at Ektoplazm

• Like 1

Beat me by a day!

QsVh72O.jpg

Artist: Various

Title: Svemirski Hod

Label: Neogoa

Date: April, 2016

Zenith

1 - OXI - Haphazard Dance (Nova Fractal Remix) (145 BPM)
2 - Zopmanika - Cosmic Influence (145 BPM)
3 - Imba & Hisia - Elysium Island (143 BPM)
4 - Omnivox - 5 Dimensions (143 BPM)
5 - Stellar Force - Astral Dive (145 BPM)
6 - Lunar Dawn - Orbiting The Sun (143 BPM)
7 - Cosmic Dimension - Another Species (146 BPM)
8 - Main Sequence Star - North Pole (120 BPM)

Nadir

9 - Arronax - Dive Into Merak (110 BPM)
10 - Goasia - Skylander (142 BPM)
11 - Arcane Voice - Cerridwen's Potion (144 BPM)
12 - Ezoterica - Universal Mind (150 BPM)
13 - Screw Loose & Stevo - Celestial Bleeps (146 BPM)
14 - M-Run - Galactic Hunt (Part I) (140 BPM)
15 - CoaGoa - Tesla Coil (145 BPM)
16 - OXI - Edge Of The Universe (140 BPM)
17 - Perfect Blind - The Expanse (100 BPM)

j6ubOTw.gif

"Meanwhile a small town in Colorado is warning residents not to shower or drink the water from the tap as officials have detected significant levels of THC in the town's water supply. Details haven't been released as to the cause, but when asked for comment the town's Mayor replied

"WHEEEEEeeeeeee!"

Is this label on fire or what? While I've reviewed Goad's Galactic Aviator and Veasna's Energy, this digital only release actually preceded both of them. With it's 50th release Neogoa's tribute to the producers from the Balkans is a 17 track compilation of goa journeys and downtempo contemplation. Literally translated to Spacewalk, It's a who's who of Balkan producers most of which you have no doubt heard of. And boy do they deliver.

I didn't find any filler (even though I didn't care for the sound and structure of Universal Mind and Skylander took forever to get somewhere) and was pleasantly surprised by Cerridwen's Potion. Fluid and mysterious just the way I like it. Galactic Hunt by M-Run was his typical funky style and Orbiting the Sun had a definite E-mantra feel. Newcomer Arcane Voice fit right in and Cosmic Dimension's track was moving. Mixing in a little downtempo with our goa is a nice change of pace. I loved North Pole which combined goa, breakbeat, and perhaps a slight techno feel. Dive Into Merak is deeply mysterious with angelic choirs and a mid-tempo beat.

Plenty to enjoy here from a lot of today's top goa artists. Another great release that I wouldn't mind having a hard copy of.

Free at Ektoplazm

• Like 1

I meant to quote this: Next goa track is Goasia's skylander, which sounds so oldschool, it's too oldschool for me. Don't know if the track is from the 90's or recent, but the lack of a solid bassline makes me skip it.

There was no Goasia in the 90's.

Best tracks for me are Zopmanika and Arronax. A few more tracks are ok, but on the whole a forgettable compilation. Most tracks lack inspiration imo.

Anyway, thanks for the effort and the free release, as always.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reviews guys, keep them coming :)

Great track, indeed, but the main melody has uncanny similarity to Boney-M - Rasputin :unsure:

Yes, it has some similarities, but as far as I know, Dive Into Merak was very much inspired by traditional Bosnian sevdah music and Anadolka melos (and I think it's a bit older than Boney-M). You can hear clean example right here -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevdalinka#Examples

• Like 2

Thanks, now I see. Perhaps, the Boney-M song is also built on that melody, somehow reworked, to give it some "Slavonic" flavour.

Btw, this song translates back to Balkan music fairly well (sorry for going severely OT)

Rasputin is well known song, or at least the melody so it's not hard to see many people doing their reworks, covers, tributes, etc. (Vatrogasci or translated to english - Firefighters are known to make parodies of well known songs, but I never actually liked their work or lyrics. On the other hand, Anadolka theme is more on emotional side, not that much slavic per se, but it got nice ethno vibe, typical for sevdah music. Since it's traditional song, this version is one of my personal favorites (now when we're discussing that particular song from compilation) :) I hope Mirza (Arronax) will give his view about the influences :)

YouTube link.

I seriously would have guessed the Ezoterica track to be 1997-1998

There is so much great stuff by them, their liveset on Balkan Goa Fanatics and on Neogoa label party in Zagreb was so delicious, I'm sure the upcoming stuff will find it's place among people who prefer more oldschool oriented Goa production :)

• 2 weeks later...

Rasputin is well known song, or at least the melody so it's not hard to see many people doing their reworks, covers, tributes, etc. (Vatrogasci or translated to english - Firefighters are known to make parodies of well known songs, but I never actually liked their work or lyrics. On the other hand, Anadolka theme is more on emotional side, not that much slavic per se, but it got nice ethno vibe, typical for sevdah music. Since it's traditional song, this version is one of my personal favorites (now when we're discussing that particular song from compilation) :) I hope Mirza (Arronax) will give his view about the influences :)

YouTube link.

The first time people mentioned "Rasputin" to me I was like what song is that? I had no idea that Boney-M used that melody for his song. And yes, you're right, my inspiration came from both the original sevdalinka called "Anadolka" and the cover version performed by Afion in the link provided. It's just a Goa take on a traditional melody, I'm sure I'm not the first nor the last artist to use a traditional melody and covers it in Goa Trance. There's dozens and dozens of Goa tracks out there that use live recorded samples from bands playing traditional melodies of India, Kashmir, Tibet, Middle East and the rest of Asia. Samples illegally downloaded from random websites, without even crediting the original artists who recorded the melody with their instruments. I rarely hear a complaint that they "stole" it.

I didn't use any pre-recorded samples in Dive Into Merak, everything you hear is played by me on keyboard, the vocals melody was composed by me, and the latter part of the track definitely shows some variation on the main theme where it confirms that my composition wasn't just a bland copy of the old sevdalinka, but a rather fresh take on one of the most beautiful melodies I know in traditional art here in the Balkans.

Anyway, I don't wanna spend too much time explaining my reasons, the track was both a tribute to the artists mentioned, and a reflection of cultural diversity in the Balkans, which was the very concept of this compilation that was "Balkan only". And in the end, maybe Boney-M should've explained himself why did he use a centuries old melody for his disco song in the 80s. :-P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...